News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony Ristola

From whose plans would you want to build?
« on: April 04, 2009, 09:19:13 AM »
From the Golden Oldies?

Enough plans have been posted; greens sketches etc. to be familiar with the work of most.

Given a set of plans to work, who would it be? For the understanding of what is to be constructed... not style... just the ability to see and interpret.

I have a distinct favorite, and used the style for a club wanting to rebuild a green.
Having worked with the club before, the club President wasn't a guy for grasping contour line drawings (he was more attuned to huge numbers), but he grasped these sketches in a heart beat.

Tom_Doak

Re: From whose plans would you want to build?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 09:29:07 AM »
Tom Simpson?

Flynn's were the most detailed plans I've looked at, and MacKenzie's green sketches would be easy to follow as long as you were allowed to tone them down.  But, I wouldn't really want to build a green from anyone's plans.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 09:31:47 AM »
I have seen a lot and I would like to work from Flynn's plans for accuracy and Colt's for placement of bunkers.

Flynn's plans seem to be so accurate and clear.  Colt's routings and bunker placement just seemed so correct yet they still seemed to be open for interpretation for the shaper to fit something into the ground where Colt had drawn his bunkers

Our green drawings are just a sketch of the edge of the green, bunkers and then arrows with a few heights here and there.  I have only designed two greens with contour lines.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 09:33:40 AM by Brian Phillips »
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 10:03:10 AM »
I'd love to give one of the engineers a go....MacD, Raynor....particularly of interest is Langford and Moreau. Their work at Lawsonia is so good, and to try something like that  somewhere as a tribute would be fun, regardless of how well received it might be to the purists.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tony Ristola

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 03:03:46 PM »
I wouldn't want to build from anyone's plans either (someone I know reading this is howling)... but this thread is simply an exercise of curiosity. How do others feel about interpreting what they've seen here and in our common libraries.

Simpson had the most artistic plans, but Mackenzie's unique manner of sketching seems fitting from what I know of the guy; practical and purposeful.

His setting the green from a birds eye view and then drawing in the features at an angle makes it easy to see his idea and detail from virtually all critical angles. His use of bold, unrefined strokes makes his interpretations all the more obvious.

The two sketches I'd seen from Alex Russell seemed on par with Simpson.

The engineered drawings are tough for some folks to grasp.

Thoughts?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 04:30:33 PM »
Tony,

Who is howling, I wonder?

I would say Flynn in this excersise of curiostiy.  Artistry has no real value for construction guys. Accuracy does, even if it is just a starting point and they wing it from there.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John Foley

Re: From whose plans would you want to build? New
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 08:32:34 PM »
I'd say Ross.

I think his drawing style is underrated - especially his green site drawings. I know much of his final plans we're done by his draftsman (name escapes me at the moment) though.

Mac defiently had a very nice artistic flair & Flynn's technical expertise was very evident in his plans.

Haven't seen anything from Tilly that looks that creative and seen very little of Raynor's work.

I keep hearing about Simpson, but honestly never seen anything from his had. Can anyone post something?

As for the modern guys - Gil Hanse's work is world class as is Ian's. That guy Placek working for Tom D looks very very talented.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 08:34:34 PM by john_foley »
Integrity in the moment of choice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back