News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Porky Oliver GC, Wilmington, DE reopens
« on: March 31, 2009, 07:35:09 AM »
This is the original Wilmington CC and is now a muni.Named after an 8 time PGA Tour winner, Ed "Porky" Oliver, who was a stout 5'9" 240 pounds. Casper Golf is the new lease holder:

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090327/SPORTS11/303270007/1002/SPORTS

http://www.edolivergolfclub.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Oliver
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike_Cirba

Re: Porky Oliver GC, Wilmington, DE reopens
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 10:38:04 AM »
Steve,

That's some positive news...thanks!

I always liked that course.  It was originally designed by Wilfred Reid, with later changes by Ed Ault.

I see Muni's making a BIG comeback, and I think it's a strategic move by the management company.

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 10:49:31 AM »
 I played there often. I guess I'm just biased towards gradually uphill long par fours. My favorite hole there ran along Greenhill Rd. I believe it was #4. The slope down from the hill on the right was always enjoyable. ( It probably accounts for my disgust at the changes to #7 at Rolling Green!!)

There are also several short fours that are a blast and some elevation changes.

The category of private classic courses that become public is full of gems.
AKA Mayday

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 11:08:49 AM »
How apropos that Casper takes over the Oliver franchise!  Somehow, The "Charles Howell III at Porky Oliver" Golf Course just doesn't sound right......

Mark Smolens

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 11:11:21 AM »
Love it.  Great memories of my dad, who always used to tell me how he played with (and finished ahead of) Porky Oliver in the Philipine(s?) Open in Manila when he was in the Air Force after the Korean War. . .

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 05:42:41 PM »
"Porky" Oliver once made a 19 on the 16th hole at Cypress Point in the Crosby Clambake.

The Moriarity Bail Out never once entered his mind.  ::)

Chuck Brown

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 07:47:56 PM »
We can't have a Porky Oliver thread without a picture of the man himself!

In this photo, he is the one in the green jacket who is not Cliff Roberts, Ben Hogan or Bob Jones.  Holding a cigarette.

http://www.golfdigest.com/images/magazine/2007/07/masl11_hogan.jpg

(Which raises an interesting question -- was he just fooling around, wearing Hogan's green jacket?  How was it that Porky Oliver was in an ANGC green blazer?)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 07:50:35 PM by Chuck Brown »

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 08:03:19 PM »
"Porky" Oliver once made a 19 on the 16th hole at Cypress Point in the Crosby Clambake.

I am sure Alister Mackenzie could have said something interesting.  My thought is stupid stubbornness.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 10:41:06 PM »
Porky did finish second to Hogan in the 1953 Masters. Maybe runnerups got a green jacket then?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 11:17:48 PM »

I am sure Alister Mackenzie could have said something interesting.  My thought is stupid stubbornness.

Well I have to confess that I have played CP twice and am 0 for 4 in carrying the chasm.   >:(  Then both times I looked around for my caddy and a 4 iron and another ball, and there he was, rounding the bend almost to the cypress tree.   >:(  How much greater would the tips have been if those caddies had stuck with their player?  We'll never know.

So I can identify with old Porky.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back