News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

In the summer of 1964 the golf writer from Albany, NY did a series of articles on eighteen difficult golf holes in the area.  I love this sort of stuff (and wonder why, with the golf biz currently in the doldrums in so many areas, why a newspaper doesn't do something similar now...).

I've not played a single course in the Albany area, so I can't comment on the quality of Mr. Danforth's selections.

Here they are, courtesy of the Fulton History site and a couple via microfilm and interlibrary loan:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John Chilver-Stainer

I quite like the concept of the 18th hole, requiring an accurate shot to the left hand side of the fairway, in order to avoid the Knoll and get a clear view of the green  :)

Sven Nilsen

The pictures are fantastic, and do a pretty good job of describing the features of each hole.

The 18th reminds me a bit of the 6th at Lost Farm.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Joe Bausch

I received this message from Phil Young:

Joe,

There is at least one hole on the card that has Tilly's hand on it. On 8/16/1935, the 2nd day of Tilly's PGA Course Consultation Service Tour, he visited the Colonie CC where he designed two new greens including the one for the 4th hole which is hole #13 of the "Frustration CC."

Here is a copy of the letter sent by Tilly in which he mentions this:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Dan Byrnes

The pictures are fantastic, and do a pretty good job of describing the features of each hole.

The 18th reminds me a bit of the 6th at Lost Farm.

They redid they hole a few years ago.  It is actually better now IMHO.  You used to have a blind shot to the green.

Is a nice finishing hole with the clubhouse patio overlooking that 18th green.  While that course probably wouldn't get a recognition from a architectural point of view it's a really fun place to play if you find yourself in the Albany, NY area.  There are several classic courses like Troy and Mohawk that have been profiled here in the past two years but PineHaven is a treat as well.  Hosted a couple NYS Am tournaments over the past decade

Dan

Dan Byrnes

I received this message from Phil Young:

Joe,

There is at least one hole on the card that has Tilly's hand on it. On 8/16/1935, the 2nd day of Tilly's PGA Course Consultation Service Tour, he visited the Colonie CC where he designed two new greens including the one for the 4th hole which is hole #13 of the "Frustration CC."

Here is a copy of the letter sent by Tilly in which he mentions this:

Interesting as that course is now a shopping mall, the club moved in the early 60's from that site.  I didn't know Tilly had a hand in it, thry say Wolferts Roost was a Tilly course butmi have also read that is disputed.  Also Albany CC was originally on what is now State University of Albany campus, moved not far from the new Colonie CC in Voorhessivlle NY and was a Robert Trent Jones Jr.

Colonie and Albany holes mentioned in the article are the new versions.
Dan
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 07:44:46 PM by Dan Byrnes »

Dan Byrnes

Several of these holes really are some of the easier holes at these courses.  14th at Wolferts Roost and 3rd (now 9th) at Normaside are just 3 shot par 5's and number 2 at Colone Country Club are some of the easier holes.

Dan

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back