News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Thompson

Third Times a Charm – Golf and Recreation in Michigan
« on: March 14, 2009, 04:50:03 PM »
In the “High Pointe won’t open – what does this mean?” thread references were made to operating courses in Michigan.  I think it is a matter of service to share with anyone considering buying or operating a course in Michigan my experiences and observations over the last 16 years, 14 of which have been in golf.  To do this fairly, you all need to know that none of the courses I was involved with were in union centers (Detroit-metro, Flint-Saginaw-Bay City, Lansing or the like).  This is an important factor as the micro economies of these areas is very different from West Michigan, Northern Michigan or the Southern border counties.  Michigan is nothing if not diverse in its local needs and approaches.  You also need to know that my education comes with a degree in Accounting and I started out as the controller of the first course.  I have always had the financial duties of each of the clubs as well as an operational management roll that not only included clubhouse but grounds responsibilities as well.  That said, you can have all the facts in the world, but not every owner will be willing to accept them.

The courses I have been active with include a well established semi-private lakeshore semi-tourist facility, a CCFAD Palmer Signature Course new construction project, a local affordable based community course new construction, and a well established private club.  Both of the new construction projects included a residential component.  I have seen each of these facilities fall prey to the data from the NGF and the illusion of easy money on the part of investors, owners and developers.  I’ve said it a hundred times and I’ll say it again; every course is its own living operation subject to its specific economic environment.  Gross generalizations or methods will not result in a successful outcome and anyone who wants to go into golf needs to be aware that everything you ever learned, regardless of how knowledgeable the original source is just a starting point.  Good course operators need to be as functional and adaptive as good farmers, utilizing a variety of flexible engineering, mechanical and horticultural options to various seasons and conditions.

One of the old sayings in Michigan golf is that no golf course makes money until it has its third owner.  Depending on the location of the course in the state there are a number of reasons for this, but a common thread is always property tax levels.  One of the problems is that golf courses don’t fit into the tax valuation model.  A new seasonal course or recreational facility can’t be treated like a factory and expected to carry the same burden proportionate to its construction or development cost(s).  The book in Michigan says that something is worth some factor of its capital construction / development cost.  With regard to recreational facilities, this approach does not work.

So why the third owner bit?  Well, once a course has its initial value established based on its construction costs, it fails since taxable value paired with the seasonal revenue stream exceed the operations carrying capacity.  So the first owner goes out of business, sells the property, and the taxable base is adjusted to the sales price.  It should be noted that at this point one must also take measures to insure that the purchase can not be qualified as a distressed sale.  Rarely at this point do the buyer and seller take advantage of the options they have at the time of sale.  By options I am referring to the conditions of transfer.  Often times a buyer will not take advantage of allocating portions of the purchase price to trade names, advanced marketing etc… and rather try to put as much of the purchase price into facilities and equipment thinking that they will be able to take advantage of depreciation in the near term.  The impact this has on the valuation of their new personal property and the subsequent tax is almost always disproportionate to the benefits of accelerated depreciation.  Property taxes are the ultimate gift that keeps on giving or in this case taking.

Again, the second owner operator can’t carry the load and so loses the business to the bank or sells out.  The difference this time is that the third owner buys the course at a price that, when applied to the taxable value, works.  The reduced price results in reduced debt and moreover a 70-80% reduction in tax burden from the original owner. This tax burden is still to high as I’ll point out in a second but the reduced purchase price makes it work as long as the third owner doesn’t read to much general data from NGF and the like.  Some will say that the NGF data can be broken down into regions but it is not specific enough.  For instance the golf season in Kalamazoo is a good six week longer on average than the season in Traverse City, yet they are both in the same “region”.

The next point is the great double dip.  Consider a development where a builder digs a pond to put home sites around.  Is the pond a taxable item?  It is basically worthless, yet it had cost to construct.  In these situations the pond is allocated to some “common area” status and its cost / value is transferred to the sites around it.  No one would ever think of taxing the pond particularly given its positive effect on the land surrounding it.  Yet in golf properties with a residential component, the course is taxed on its construction cost AND the sites around it are also taxed based on there value being adjacent to the course.  This is a classic double dip.

Now before anyone thinks that I think courses should be exempt from taxation, I don’t, but I do dream a little.  Wouldn’t it be nice if the mom and pops could compete on a fair playing field against their municipal tax exempt neighbors.  Sorry ‘bout that, its another subject. I have been asked in my career to do valuations on companies.  Given all of the options, I can only think of one that works for seasonal recreational facilities, ski lodges, golf courses, etc…  That approach should be a income or revenue based calculation. 

Each with proportion to their ability.  Consider this, how can a course with a valuation of 3.6M and a resulting property tax bill around 75k make it?  That course would have an annual revenue stream of approx. 800k.  Those are real life numbers there.  To make it even more interesting consider that the course only cost 1.8M to build, but that the valuation on same was done based on, get this, its total yardage, number of tees, square footage of greens and fairways and that this valuation does NOT include the clubhouse.  This is not an equitable or pro business approach and left unchecked will result in the failure of an operation but the decreased value of the neighboring properties thereby eliminating the total revenues of the taxing authority.

Now, let’s talk about SBT.  As a young accountant, the first question asked of me by all of out of state bean counting buddies after college was, “now just what the hell is that SBT you got up there any ways?” That was a very hard question to answer for the first few years of plying my craft.  Sooo I looked into it. The SBT was a consumption tax, which not only included labor, but materials as well.  Now I don’t know of many businesses that are so flush their first few years that they can absorb an additional consumption tax.  This tax was established to discourage competition from new business in the state of Michigan and heavily supported by the Big Three Automakers.  What it did was discourage anyone from building a plant in their backyard and taking their captive labor force. Although I am very pro business, I must day that in this case the Big Three and the Unions deserve each other.  Granted the SBT has been discontinued in Michigan, but the new system is even more complicated and still doesn't encourage any new business in the state.

Michigan also has a use tax.  Which it could be argued might even be a reasonable thing.  The problem is that every business in the state would fail a use tax audit due to the complexity of the code.

That’s just a start.  Consider how many successful courses are within twenty minutes of the state line.  None, Zero, Nada, Zilch.  Why?  The customer base can drive just across the border to better facilities that benefit from a fair tax structure.

Two cents,

JT

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 08:56:00 PM by Jim Thompson »
Jim Thompson

Joe Hancock

Re: Third Times a Charm – Golf and Recreation in Michigan
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 05:45:40 PM »
Thanks a lot for that, Jim. A much appreciated effort.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Doug Ralston

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 06:31:33 PM »
Jim;

Interesting post. Combined with some others in a different thread, I get the impression that the business environment is poor in Michigan, yes? Was it #47 I saw? High taxes etc?

How then did Michigan ever get to 850 or so public courses, I think the most per capita of any state? Are there massive closings this year, like we talked of here in Ohio in an earlier thread?

I am not a business person, so much of what you said whizzed over my head. I just know these are bad times in general for golf courses, and Michigan is my idea of golf heaven. I would hate to see this trend cost many more quality courses.

At least, please, hold on till I get to play ya!

Thanks;

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Jason McNamara

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 07:30:09 PM »
Doug -

The SBT wasn't enacted until the mid 70's.  Further, the tax was originally based equally on real estate, payroll, and sales, but in the 90's was skewed to almost 100% sales-based.  And I think it was the only one of its kind in the US.

Anyway, I am guessing that percentage-wise there's relatively many Michigan courses from the 50's and 60's.  After Detroit started making big money, but before the taxes got stupid, and Detroit subsequently turned into a vehicle-financed HMO.

You might also check a thread I started a while back comparing Michigan, Wisc., and Minnesota courses.

I'm sure Jim can provide further specifics, but that was the basic idea.  (Jim, thanks for a great overview.)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 08:45:13 PM »
Jim:

Thanks for the overview.  There are many things in there that a naive potential golf course owner like myself would have overlooked ... it's no wonder that the many people who develop a course without any experience in the golf business fail to understand them.

Jason / Doug:

There were a ton of golf courses built here in the 1980's and 1990's, after the SBT was in effect.  Probably just the case that few of the developers thought much about it.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 08:54:17 PM »
I think a lot of golf courses were built in Michigan because:

The land is good for golf
There used to be recreational money to be spent, likely a major portion from union workers and auto exec's
After agriculture became less profitable, land owners figured golf was good money
Michigan has many great courses, but a ton of Mom and Pop because of above
Disproportionate number of teachers who needed ranger jobs (just kidding on this one)

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 09:19:46 PM »
Gents - I hope this isn't a dumb question, but is it now a given that a golf course needs a guaranteed revenue source?

In other words, can only a semi-private model work these days? 

By 'semi-private' I mean either a private course with a smallish number of high-dues-paying members but quite open to paying guests; or basically a public course that nonetheless has a large base of modest-dues-paying members? 

Thanks
Peter

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 10:00:26 PM »
Peter,
I'm not a fan of the semi-private approach. I've seen bad things happen when you sell "memberships" that are really nothing more than a punch card. Members expect and deserve preferential treatment, that's hard to give when what you really want after they pay their annual "membership fee" is for them not to play much so you can get daily fees.

If you’re public, sell punch cards that discount rounds. Sell heavily discounted punch cards to seniors and others who agree to play during slow times. Tee times are the most perishable of products. The 10:10am time is worthless as of 10:15. Getting something for it is better than nothing.

I wonder if a course like High Pointe might be better as a small, affordable private golf club. Give members advance tee time privileges and allow outside play for those who call the day before or show up looking for a spot. But if you’re private, the members always have to come first.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 10:02:22 PM by Don_Mahaffey »

Jim Thompson

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 10:03:16 PM »
I don't know what is going to happen in Michigan over the next few years, but if I had to guess...  I'd bet half of the courses built in the last 15 years will be foreclosed on by their banking institutions.  Those with minimal undulation and good street access will be sold off to residential developers for around 60 cents on the dollar.  The rest will either be slotted out to management companies while the bank hopes the market comes back or sold to high net worth individuals who can sign papers at 70 cents on the dollar.  There will of course be a few that are held by banks that can't take the pain of waiting or who have participating partner banks that should be happy to get 50 - 60 cents on the dollar and move on.  Another factor is those properties that were developed with Brownfield programs or SBT credits.  Those will require a lot more co-ordination and will be tougher to get done as more parties will have to sign off on the deal.

I don't think a guaranteed revenue stream is a necessity, although it is a nice cushion.  The fact of the matter is that if it rains on Memorial, 4th of July and Labor Day weekends in Michigan, most courses will miss a bank payment and no amount of semi-private members will cover that.  I only saw that happen once in 14 years and we had a good bank.  Semi-private members are not on the hook for a year end assessment like private members.  The real boon to semi-private clubs was always the Monday outing.  Outing day covered the accelerating costs over the last 15 years.  The only problem is that most of the profitable outings were held by, Donnelly, Federal Mogul, JCI, and other auto dependent industries.  Those Cancer Society, Local Athletic department outings were always break evens when you calculated the wear and tear into the operation.  We always looked at that as marketing and booked the difference between the rack rate and the charged rate as a donation, but donations don’t pay for fertilizer.

The clubs built in the union centers made good money off the excesses.  It is pretty different in the rest of the state.  Over the last ten years the outlying courses have been cutting back to stay afloat.  Those that were pretty much paid off or who had neighbors that were already on the down turn did OK.  Their competition was closing, which elevated their price.  The worst of it is the places where a group of courses of average economic strength have been cannibalizing each other for the last ten years.  They’ve been engaging in rate wars and couponing and have devalued their product significantly.  I fear a great number of these courses will suffer in the next few years.

The real hope for Michigan golf to continue at its current level is for the state to make some serious changes in its approach to seasonal and recreational facilities.  State exemptions for re-development, the old renaissance zone trick, will not be enough to correct these issues.  Current figures say that if one of the Big Three auto goes down over 3.5M jobs will be lost in Michigan.  The state population is only 13.5M and the current unemployment rate already exceeds 10%.  That’s not good.  That number also does not include the related service and support jobs or the ancillary jobs in Ohio and Indiana.  All one needs to do is take a look back at why GM opened the Saturn plant in Tennessee instead of here in there own backyard. That should have been the wake up call.

All of the said, this may just save golf in Michigan and be what it takes to return golf to its roots.  Simple and efficient will be the call of the day, function will replace aesthetics etc…  Maybe we’ll be able to hit out of wispy 3 inch rough that is only mowed once a week rather than the 2 inch lush stuff that is mowed three times a week.  We can hope anyway.  I say all of this because the company I was with was in the aviation industry.  We took care of private business aircraft. You know the kind that CEO’s don’t need to be flying around in.  As a result of GM et al’s flight to DC we closed.  Now GM charters flights instead of using their own.  The net effect was that a handful of hard working mechanics, ground crew, and pilots are now out of work.  Just regular hard working stiffs with specialized skills most of which were learned in our military…  sorry for the rant.

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 10:10:30 PM »
Don,

Anywhere other than Michigan and I'd agree with you 100%.  Here, most of the semi-private members are teachers and retirees.  Those semi-private members are the same people would be the group you'd sell the punch cards to.  A typical semi-private membership is sold for the equivalent of 30-34 rounds at the average rack rate and a couples membership is 40-45 rounds.  Its a good deal and they are not too demanding.  There's aways a Judge Schmalles at every club though...

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 12:16:20 AM »
Jim,
I understand what your saying, but semi-private is not my idea of a good model.
You can have member type functions at a public course for the men's club and other groups for instance, but once you start calling them members, they want to be treated like members. And that can be a conflict when your trying to bring in daily fee players.

Trust me, we had a lot of retired folks from the mid-west playing golf in AZ, I've been through it. For me I want public, or private. Doesn't mean you can't have special programs for your regular players at the public, or allow outside play when the sheet is open if private, but the two do not always blend together well.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 12:45:23 AM »
Don,

I agree!  Most of the folks I know who retire to AZ from MI are a pain in the ass!  The ones that go to FL are pretty nice though and the ones that stay home and shovel snow are great!  ;D

JT
Jim Thompson

Jason McNamara

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 03:33:56 AM »
Tom -

No argument that the 90s were great for the golf industry even in Michigan, but I was impressed by the extent to which that the 60s far outstripped the 80s, at least according to the lists at http://www.webgolfer.com/history.html  (and the 70s were as miserable as one might expect).  But perhaps that is fairly representative of northern states in general. 

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 08:03:06 AM »
Jim,

I had never given much thought to why the lack of golf courses near the Michigan border - but you are right there sure are not many of them.

Chris

Tim Nugent

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 08:46:55 AM »
Jim, a question on assignment of expenses.  I have seen in residential/golf developments where the developers assigned much of the cost of building the course to the residental component in order to raise the basis in the lots in order to minimise the gain on sale of the lots.  Can this be done in MI.

Also, I remember when we were doing a course that the out-of-state contractor had to pay a personal property tax on the construction equipt. they had on site.  Does this still exist and if so, is it applied to things like golf carts and maintenance equipt?

I agree that golf courses (and other recreational properties) should be valued on a percentage of gross income or raw land (whatever is greater) as that is really what they are worth.  I would also be in favor them getting an Urban Open Space tax credit.  Afterall, they do provide a benefit in limiting density and conjestion - not to mention burdens on public services (schools, police, fire, etc.) that would come if it was converted to housing.

I have heard some talk of golf courses being able to sell Carbon Credits as the plant life sequesters Carbon Dioxide.  Who knows, maybe this could be a way to offset other crippling tax burdens. 

Send Gov. Grandholm a copy of Atlas Shrugged  ;)
Coasting is a downhill process

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 11:56:55 AM »
Jim,
I married a Michigander...they're all great ;D

(but I still don't like the semi-private model ;))

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 01:57:08 PM »
I wonder if a course like High Pointe might be better as a small, affordable private golf club. Give members advance tee time privileges and allow outside play for those who call the day before or show up looking for a spot. But if you’re private, the members always have to come first.

Don

If Highpointe can't make it as a public how the heck are you going to get 200-300 (which seems a terribly small membership if this is gonna be rag and bone operation) folks to plop down a modest amount to turn it private in an area that is in serious decline?  Aren't Kingsley, True North and Forest Dunes all trying to make it as privates and taking quite some time to fill their quotas?  You may not like the idea of semi-private, but I don't think there is a better alternative at the moment if the course is to open.  That said, I agree that I haven't seen a good semi-private operation because they don't seem to give preferential weekend times.  Having at least a few hours in the am and pm set aside for members on the weekend (and probably Fridays) is crucial to folks who pay extra - even if those time slots go begging.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jim Thompson

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 10:20:16 PM »
Tim,

That usually sounds like a good idea at first regarding the cost allocations, but if your real estate doesn’t move and the local assessor “runs the book” on you, then you end up paying more for your lots until you sell them also.  Remember, the “book” says the valuation of the golf course has nothing to do with its book value.  The best thing to remember, in my opinion and remember this is Michigan based thinking, is that tees, greens, bunkers, irrigation and drainage, as well as bridges and paths are depreciable for tax purposes where land and general improvements aren’t.  Quite frankly you have to be careful to not get too cute playing with lots especially if they have been farm or out of service areas for the past few years. The risk just isn’t worth getting caught.  Rather it is best to fairly and reasonably spread costs around the golf course that are course specific.  By that I mean, the cost of every yard of dirt that is cut from a fairway to build a tee or green should be allocated to the tee or green.  Some will even argue that those ponds are part of drainage form storm water control, but that is a little grayer.  If the new pond required a DEQ permit and littoral conditions etc… then I would argue that it is depreciable as it will, at some time, need to be maintained.

Regarding personal property tax items;  any piece of personal property in the state of Michigan on December 31 is subject to personal property tax.  That’s why if you go down by the Indiana line in late November you’ll watch empty trucks come north and full trucks head south.  Many townships hire helicopter services to take aerial photos so that those dozers hidden over the hill from the road are on the record.  The other kicker is regardless of who owns the equipment, the landowner on which the equipment reside is the liable party.

Your Urban Open Space credit would be a good idea and I wouldn’t be shocked if it was used as a political tool in the next few years, the problem is it’s about thirty years to late.  The reason I say that is that it wouldn’t have any impact.  In dense population areas the old mom and pops are now municipal courses and the others are private.  The privates take advantage of 501 3(c) status so they already dodge a big hit.  Hat’s why we have so many Elks and Moose Golf clubs here.  They picked them up back during the seventies.  The majority of the courses are ten to fifteen minutes out of “town” and in a township rather than a city or village.  Frankly, not many townships have a need to protect open space yet in MI so I doubt that move will come from a state level.

Regarding Carbon Dioxide Credits; I doubt once a club gets hit for its mowers and fertilizer that the credits will even cover that portion of their tax exposure.  One thing I would like to see is an increase in the tax on residential fertility, herbicide and pesticide materials.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had an individual come tell me how golf is a major polluter and then a week later I see them spreading 3x+ the recommended amount of turf builder on their yards.  I always get a kick out of asking them for their MSD sheets and their applicator license!

Regarding our fine Canadian Governor; I doubt I’d be the first Hillsdale grad to send her a copy!

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 10:33:24 PM »
Jim, a question on assignment of expenses.  I have seen in residential/golf developments where the developers assigned much of the cost of building the course to the residental component in order to raise the basis in the lots in order to minimise the gain on sale of the lots.  Can this be done in MI.

Also, I remember when we were doing a course that the out-of-state contractor had to pay a personal property tax on the construction equipt. they had on site.  Does this still exist and if so, is it applied to things like golf carts and maintenance equipt?

I agree that golf courses (and other recreational properties) should be valued on a percentage of gross income or raw land (whatever is greater) as that is really what they are worth.  I would also be in favor them getting an Urban Open Space tax credit.  Afterall, they do provide a benefit in limiting density and conjestion - not to mention burdens on public services (schools, police, fire, etc.) that would come if it was converted to housing.

I have heard some talk of golf courses being able to sell Carbon Credits as the plant life sequesters Carbon Dioxide.  Who knows, maybe this could be a way to offset other crippling tax burdens. 

Send Gov. Grandholm a copy of Atlas Shrugged  ;)

I am sure she knows of Ayn Rand's book as it is all Fox News / Glenn Beck seem to be talking about lately.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back