News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ClarkW

Dublin golf in March...
« on: February 17, 2009, 06:40:54 PM »
... that would be Dublin, Ireland (not Ohio) by the way!

Based on the extremely reasonable airfares, off season hotel rates and winter greens fees, I am taking a calculated risk and making a very quick sojourn to Dublin in early/mid March. Does anybody have any experience playing the Dublin area links in March?

Golf: it appears that some (e.g. Portmarnock and the Island) require the artificial square of "turf" if you want to play from the fairway. Does this take too much away from the links experience?

Weather: as a single/visitor, I am somewhat limited to early tee times. Is the weather just too chilly to venture out around 8:00 AM? I am not averse to a brisk winter walk around the course at home (in PA) if temps are 35-40 degrees but I kinda worry about the wind over there.

Overall, I see it as a good chance to see some courses I've not played before (like Royal Dublin and the Island) and if it turns out to be a loser weather-wise... well, then I'm still in Dublin for a couple of nights!

My potential itinerary revolves around Portmarnock, Portmarnock Links/Hotel, the Island, and Royal Dublin in order to minimize travel and utilize cabs instead (I realize including the European Club, County Louth, or even Royal County Down would be wonderful but for my parameters it would be unreasonable). I welcome your comments and/or thoughts... unless it questions my sanity!? Thanks.

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

Re: Dublin golf in March...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 07:58:36 PM »
Weather as you know is pot luck :-\ They've been a little colder than normal this year so far but usually it's warmer than Pa (at least at this time of the year). Oh and the winds on the east coast aren't as bad as the west coast so.....

I haven't played of the astroturf thingy but my dad has in the past and although a little different didn't seem to bother him much. With the of the state of the economy over there right now, you should be able to get some great deals on hotels, greens fees etc.
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 06:57:33 AM »
... that would be Dublin, Ireland (not Ohio) by the way!

Based on the extremely reasonable airfares, off season hotel rates and winter greens fees, I am taking a calculated risk and making a very quick sojourn to Dublin in early/mid March. Does anybody have any experience playing the Dublin area links in March?

Golf: it appears that some (e.g. Portmarnock and the Island) require the artificial square of "turf" if you want to play from the fairway. Does this take too much away from the links experience?

Weather: as a single/visitor, I am somewhat limited to early tee times. Is the weather just too chilly to venture out around 8:00 AM? I am not averse to a brisk winter walk around the course at home (in PA) if temps are 35-40 degrees but I kinda worry about the wind over there.

Overall, I see it as a good chance to see some courses I've not played before (like Royal Dublin and the Island) and if it turns out to be a loser weather-wise... well, then I'm still in Dublin for a couple of nights!

My potential itinerary revolves around Portmarnock, Portmarnock Links/Hotel, the Island, and Royal Dublin in order to minimize travel and utilize cabs instead (I realize including the European Club, County Louth, or even Royal County Down would be wonderful but for my parameters it would be unreasonable). I welcome your comments and/or thoughts... unless it questions my sanity!? Thanks.

Clark

There is a risk of crap weather no matter when you go to Ireland.  Your plan seems sensible to me.  The courses you chose are in close proximity.  I assume you are staying at the Portmarnock Links Hotel as they may have some very good deals on stay and play (I would check out their site now).  If not, ditch playing there for another round on The Island or Portmarnock.  Also, if you aren't staying in the Links Hotel, consider Malahide rather than Dublin.  The Grand is meant to be good (it has a great location) and I expect they are expensive, but again, good deals should be available.  Other than that you may have to look for b&bs.  Otherwise you could stay at White Sands in Portmarnock (which should have good deals on) - though Portmarnock isn't a great town - if that is what you want to call it.  Finally, there is Ann's in Howth.  I know people who swear by it.  It will save you a lot of hassle taxing out of the city every day.  Its simple enough to get public transport from Malahide to Dublin for after golf entertainment.   

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 07:25:55 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 03:10:07 PM »
The last few days here in Cork have been great for golf, probably around 10C (50F), dry and no real breeze. However two weeks ago it was snowing. In March it's very possible to get some great days but probable to get some bad days. It's all down to luck.

As for deals, it's a great time to come, dollar stronger then last year, plenty of cheap airfares, Golf Clubs looking for business and open to bargaining, same for hotels eg last friday I was checking out hotels near Dublin airport, which is close to the courses north of the city, and the Hilton was available for 60 euro per room including breakfast. The Portmarnock Links hotel might be ideal, less travelling and at least one day with no cab fare.

It won't be significantly colder at 8am then later on in the day so early tee times are no problem, much less likely to be windy at that time.

I must check up on the square of turf. I'll give one of my Portmarnock friends a ring and see if they are using it.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Gary Slatter

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 04:10:18 PM »
Try to stick to the links courses and you should be fine. I played the K Club last March and it was too wet. The winter has been cool and wet.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

ClarkW

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 04:27:50 PM »
Thanks to all the responders.

Sean, yes I'm staying at the Portmarnock Links Hotel. Have stayed there before and it is quite nice. Their current deals can't be beat plus there is a discounted greens fee for guests on their Bernhard Langer course. It's been a few years since I last played it but I remember it seemed  somewhat underappreciated. Perhaps having the "real" Portmarnock next door is too much of a burden!?

More so than the tremendous seasonal deals (and improving $US to euro rate), I'm looking forward to seeing:
1.) The Island-- the dunes, unique setting, and history have always intrigued me. I've seen the dramatic dunes of Ballybunion, County Down, etc. but am curious to see them in a Dublin setting;
2.) Royal Dublin-- has always seemed somewhat lifeless in print/photos. Curious to see if Hawtree's recent work has made it deserving of the "Royal" moniker; and
3.) Portmarnock-- I love the traditional links style of the red/blue nines. Current routing is blue/yellow nines during winter work. Has anyone played the yellow nine?

My biggest concerns remain the artrificial turf square (didn't the Old Course use these prior to their Opens?) and the weather, of course. Will report back for those of you who are curious. Cheers!
Clark

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 04:51:06 PM »
"Royal Dublin-- has always seemed somewhat lifeless in print/photos."..... Clark Whalen.

ClarkW

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 05:05:49 PM »
Aidan, wow! Let me remove my foot from my mouth and say how awesome Royal Dublin looks in those pics. Now... can you promise me that same weather in a couple of weeks? ;)

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 05:13:20 PM »
Have a wee dram of Bushmills to warm the cockles of your heart,  take your umbrella and swing away lad! I wish you the best......

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 05:15:58 PM »
I enquired at The Island and Royal a few weeks back and they are both playing from a mat without exception.

I cannot recommend highly enough The Arlington Hotel just off O'Connell St, north of the river (there is a sister hotel in Temple Bar). Great hotel with a lovely pub downstairs that does Irish trad music and dancing (but it's nothing like the sort of hotel you usually find above a pub!). We paid 70 euro a night for a double.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 03:12:33 AM »
There's great deals on hotels here, and as Padraig said, you can bargain with golf clubs for rates.

There once was a shortage of hotels in the country, so there were tax breaks for opening them up. Since the recession, they are lots closing. One of the hardest hit sectors. You can even get rooms for 20 euro per night.
John Marr(inan)

Daryl David

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 12:25:21 PM »

3.) Portmarnock-- I love the traditional links style of the red/blue nines. Current routing is blue/yellow nines during winter work. Has anyone played the yellow nine?

I have played the yellow nine a few times and actually found some holes to be very good.  Great fun.   I would not let the fact that the yellow is in play stop you from a day at Portmarnock.

ClarkW

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 03:20:32 PM »
Thanks once again to all my Irish "advisors"! I expect to have a full report for you in exactly three weeks...

Mike Jansen

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 11:32:32 PM »
I had the pleasure of playing Portmarnock this past June just a couple before the Ladies Irish Open. 
From my experience, you don't get any great ocean views, the winds rip through there pretty good, and the combination of the high rough and  too many wayward tee shots led me break my driver in half (It's soul rests somewhere right of the 16th fariway...say Hi)

And yet I enjoyed it very much and would play there again.  As long as you were getting a good deal, playing off the mats would still be a great experience... better than no golf at all

My favorite holes were 8-11 and 15-18.

ClarkW

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
Well, I recently returned from Dublin and here's my report as promised!...

Upon arrival, I staved off my impending jet lag by walking a few holes at the Portmarnock Links (the Langer hotel course). In my opinion, this course is under rated and overlooked because of its neighbor, the "real" Portmarnock. There are plenty of interesting ripples in the fairways (perhaps manufactured by Langer et al) and some decent dunes in a rather compact routing. A nice variety of holes though and a strong finishing trio of #16-18.

Next morning, bright and early at Royal Dublin. Despite the nice pictures earlier in this thread from Aidan Bradley, I still found the course rather flat altho the holes got better as you worked your way out beyond #4(maybe?). A true out and back links, the front nine was almost entirely downwind and then you make the turn... wow. The wind in your face all the way home makes the back nine a lengthy challenge. If the Portmarnock Hotel Links is considered under rated then I would have to say Royal Dublin is a bit over rated.

The last day was spent at The Island GC. You're thrown into the impressive dunes right away on the first tee, a great view over the estuary on the next tee, and plenty of quirk (how about eight consecutive par 4s to begin the round?!) and then on to the back nine... even better with a great variety of holes. Highlights were the par three 13th out to the tip of the island (a brief timeout for a history lesson on your way to the next tee where the boat used to ferry early members across the estuary), then the much written about 14th with its impossibly narrow fairway which is followed by the really good par 5 15th with a green nestled at the base of an amphitheater of dunes (reminded me alot of Doonbeg's opening hole). Overall, a great golf surprise!

My biggest concern going into this was the weather. Not a problem-- a bit of "all four seasons in one day" but very pleasant conditions for walking and carrying your own bag.

Based on the tremendous deals for airfares/hotels/green fees, the proximity of everything to Dublin and the airport (i.e. easy 20 minute cab rides) and the high quality of golf, I'd highly recommend it as a "quick" getaway. (Plus I didn't even include Portmarnock Golf Club-- but found out as I was leaving that they had just reopened the front nine and gotten rid of the artificial squares of turf to hit off of.) Add in Portmarnock and it's a "can't miss" holiday!

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 07:03:58 PM »
Clark -

Did any of the courses you played make you carry and hit off a mat?

DT

ClarkW

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 07:19:10 PM »
Luckily no, there were no mats anywhere. The Island discontinued their mats two weeks ago (altho they had a temporary second green) and Portmarnock GC last Monday. Also as I mentioned, Portmarnock's entire championship layout is now open (the "yellow" nine had replaced the regular front nine until last week). No mention of mats at Royal Dublin GC or the Portmarnock hotel course.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 12:06:34 AM »
squares are not a good thing.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 12:10:34 AM »
Notwithstanding Aiden beautiful work, Royal Dublin is an average to good course which is way over priced.  I am assuming all will start sliding soon enough but 50% of prior in summer is still way to much. I think a toss up with the Island depending on personal taste. Portmarnock is world class and deserves more praise.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:13:41 AM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 06:35:35 AM »
Tiger - I can't agree more.   I've never understood why Portmarnock doesn't get more respect.  I've played over 100 Irish courses and have always put Portmarnock way up there.  The routing, which continually changes direction, requires the player to make continually changing adjustments for the wind.  It's not a beautiful links but it is solid gca.

JC

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back