News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Rich Goodale

Re: PBA Auction underway, bidding low, has some great GCA items
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 11:21:51 AM »
Adrian

I do not see the advantage for the auction house to commit fraud by posting a bogus price, but as I rarely get involved in auctions I defer to your greater experience.

Rich

PS--if I were a collector, and had the chance of buying a classic book on architecture, signed by both authors as well as the famous golfing son of one of the authors, given as a christmas present, I'd pay more than $200, but what do I know.... ???

rfg

JMorgan

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 11:24:28 AM »
Adrian

I do not see the advantage for the auction house to commit fraud by posting a bogus price, but as I rarely get involved in auctions I defer to your greater experience.

Rich

PS--if I were a collector, and had the chance of buying a classic book on architecture, signed by both authors as well as the famous golfing son of one of the authors, given as a christmas present, I'd pay more than $200, but what do I know.... ???

rfg

One man's elephant is another man's flea...

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 12:16:39 PM »
Did the Moorestown Field Club stuff get snapped up?

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 01:11:12 PM »
Adrian and Rich
This was also the limited edition large format version of "the Architectural Side of Golf" which is very, very scarce. I think Wethered and Simpson signed all the limited editions, least that is the usual case. As the standard edition is very rare anyway, personally I am not all that surprised by the price.

I bid on the Mackenzie 4 page brochure up to the high estimate of $500 but it went for $760 in the end. Darn.

john_stiles

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2009, 02:24:54 PM »
Overall,  it seemed to be a mixed result with the higher priced items 'generally' failing to meet low estimate at times, or not even being sold.   The price listed by PBA Galleries at web site includes their 20% premium.

On a few items of fleeting interest to me (no bids submitted by me),    a few of the older editions of club histories went for more than the high estimate.    This was the case for Myopia (1975) and Seminole (1955) club histories.  The 1978 Masters 'practice round' ticket autographed by Hogan and Demaret went for $720 versus presale estimate of $300/$500.  Willing seller and more than one willing buyer helps !!!!!

So, in general,  maybe the 'number' of 'bidding' big hitters were fewer.

As to PBA Galleries,   I have always found them very helpful and very quick to fix any errors.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 02:46:07 PM »
Mike,
The winning bid for the Moorestown archive items was $400, with commission $480.

TEPaul

Re: PBA Auction recap, bidding low, hadsome great GCA items
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 03:55:05 PM »
It seems to me with a lot or a few that if you have material like them it's apparently a lot better for a buyer to put them up for auction via a well-known house like PBA rather than on eBay.

David_Tepper

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 04:16:48 PM »
TEPaul -

I am not doubting the quality/level of interest of buyers PBA brings to the party, but I believe PBA charges BOTH the buyer & seller a 20% commission for the service.

They are very well compensated for the service.

DT
tcmnav@aol.com 

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 04:45:09 PM »
According to their catalog, seller commissions are between 10% and 15%, depending upon the selling price of the item.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 04:56:48 PM »
Mike,
The winning bid for the Moorestown archive items was $400, with commission $480.

Thanks, Peter...appreciate the info.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2009, 05:14:50 AM »
Speaking of $14,400... That is what the Tillinghast Booklet "Planning a Golf Course" went for.

Makes me thrilled that I was allowed to scan one of the two copies known to exist in public institutions into my computer from cover to cover a few months back...

What made that one very special, at least to me and those at Winged Foot, is that it had apparently belonged to John Anderson and still has his book plate on the inside cover...

We are planning to post it on the Tillinghast Association website soon.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 05:19:03 AM by Philip Young »

BCrosby

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2009, 07:43:49 AM »
Phil -

Who was the winning bidder?

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back