News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

to minimalism, primarily in the context of "costs to maintain" ?

Will new courses that emerge from this cycle reflect minimalist design ?

Will existing courses retain architects to redesign their course in the context of reducing maintainence demands ?

Will bunkers be removed on a wholesale basis ?

Will seperate tees be abandoned or merged ?
Will yardage be reduced ?

Will green speeds slow down ?

Will firmer, faster conditions prevail ?

What good, architecturally and playability wise, will emerge ?

If you owned a golf course, what would you do, realistically, to reduce costs while maintaining more than adequate playing conditions ?

Mike_Cirba

I'm beginning to think that much like Tillinghast's niche in the 30s, the newest marketing trend among GCA's might be to come into courses and suggest changes meant chiefly to reduce costs.   

kconway

i do think that the renovations/restorations of old courses will come to a screeching halt

Eric_Terhorst

Patrick,

If you substitute "common sense" for "minimalism" and "minimalist" in your questions I believe you have identified "trends" that have existed forever in the more secluded corners of the golf world, away from the country clubs of the major metropolitan areas and the high-end resorts of Florida, Nevada, and California. 

Haven't golf course owners with common sense long tried to strike a balance between extracting maximum performance from the land and cost?  If an owner looks around his course and realizes that, for example, a bunker can be removed and enjoyment won't be compromised, then it should have been removed long ago.   

Robert Thompson

In the area of restoration, I'd bet dimes to dollars that it costs more to maintain most courses, especially after an elaborate bunker restoration. I've spoken to supers in Canada, and they all say while the courses look better and are more interesting to play, the costs in maintaining them have also risen.

Interesting GCA issue -- considering how many of us love to see a properly restored course. However, one of the reasons courses moved away from the design intent was to cut back on costs in the first place. The number of courses I know that in the past filled in bunkers to cut back on costs is quite significant. And that's just in Canada.

Could it happen again? Could courses that need significant manpower to maintain these changes start backing away from the changes?
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

kconway

regarding bunker restoration, my club was told that after we reshaped the bunkers and put in new drainage and liners, that our maintenance costs would go up as we would have to hand rake the bunkers

JMorgan

to minimalism, primarily in the context of "costs to maintain" ?  Many clubs will go out of business before they adapt.

Will new courses that emerge from this cycle reflect minimalist design ? NO.  That is to say, the design part of the US industry will not convert or adopt wholesale a "minimalist" approach. 

Will existing courses retain architects to redesign their course in the context of reducing maintainence [sic]demands ? NO.  They'll do some of the things you've mentioned below.

Will bunkers be removed on a wholesale basis ? NOT ON A WHOLESALE BASIS, but selectively, yes.

Will seperate [sic]tees be abandoned or merged ? YES.
Will yardage be reduced ? NO.  BUT FAIRWAYS MAY NARROW.

Will green speeds slow down ? DOUBT IT.

Will firmer, faster conditions prevail ? NO.

What good, architecturally and playability wise, will emerge ?  SOME CLUBS WILL LEARN THAT THEY CAN DO WITHOUT FLUFF and OVER-MAINTENANCE, and may perhaps rethink their objectives.

If you owned a golf course, what would you do, realistically, to reduce costs while maintaining more than adequate playing conditions ?  DON'T FUSS WITH BUNKER MAINTENANCE.  CUT PHOO PHOO MANICURING OUT OF THE BUDGET. CUT BACK MAN HOURS. CUT BACK CONCESSIONS. STEP UP SERVICE TO COUNTER SUPERFICIAL PERCEPTIONS.

Philippe Binette

If clubs get rid of their flower beds and retaining walls budget... that would be a huge plus to architecture

Dan Herrmann

I wouldn't be surprised to see slower green speeds.  Cutting every other day could save a lot on maintenance.

I think bunker crews may become a thing of the past.  This is a LOT of labor without much affect on playability, unless you're actually in the hazard. 

But it could really help golf.  The gauche excesses could disappear, CCFADs could end up being less expensive, and possibly open the game up to more people, especially if the price point decreases. 

Places like Hickory Valley here in SE PA could be a model - inexpensive, decent architecture, walkable, and fun.  If I recall correctly, a Saturday PM round at Hickory Valley costs less per hour than a movie.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back