News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

tlavin

Re: Where would you hold a major and why?
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2009, 10:29:12 AM »
Top Three Candidates in my twisted mind:

Sand Hills: It would be great to see links-style golf played in the States on an otherworldly layout.
LACC North:  Just the fact that it has never hosted anything of note creates interest.
Pacific Dunes:  Forget about the length, the wind, green speeds and hole locations could provide a major-type challenge---and it would surely rival Pebble Beach for great oceanside eye candy.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2009, 10:56:34 AM »
Scott

I'd like to see them play a round each at:
- National (Moonah)
- National (Old)
- National (Ocean)
- St Andrews Beach (if they could resurrect it)
....and see what they think of the winds and courses down there.  ;D

Jason Topp

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2009, 11:19:50 AM »
Pine Valley

George Pazin

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2009, 04:04:42 PM »
For shear entertainment value, I'd choose any crappy 6200 yard muni that had trees tightly lining both sides of the fairways (in the Appalachians where I grew up, that was most courses).

I would not close the course at all before the tournament.  In fact, I'd let the blue collar guys tee off after the last group went off each day.

NBC always has the 'Average Joe' plays the US Open course.  I'd like to see it the other way around -- have the pros come play the shitty munis the rest of us play.

Slow, bumpy greens, chewed up fairways, shallow, packed sand in the traps (if there even is sand, maybe it's just dirt in there) and poor yardages.  And pick a course that has super dense, super tight trees (and I know we all hate that and so do I from an architectural standpoint) to be a bit penal.

Some guys might shoot -40.  And that's ok.  But I think Joe Average would like to see the pros play HIS course.

Plus the regular guys could then go play an 'Open' course for $12 thereafter.

This is one mighty fine post. maybe my nominee for best post this year.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Karl Kocher

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2009, 04:42:59 PM »
Pine Valley

Saw the Walker Cup there in 1985 (?) with Davis Love and other future tour stars and while I agree Pine Valley is a great visual course and a test for the sigle digit amateur, the very good amateurs tore it up.  With the new equipment the longer par 4's would be rendered defenseless.  And now that they eliminated the trees that used to come right up to the fairways, it is not as narrow.  Back in the mid 80's they were still hitting mid irons to 1, 4, 9, 13, 16, and 18.  Not sure they would anything more than a 7 iron to any of them now.......my vote would be for G.C of Cucowilla in Ga.  They need some deeper tees for the pros but those greens are filthy when they are firm.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back