News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Deucie Bies

Carlton Woods-Fazio
« on: January 20, 2009, 09:50:14 AM »
Has anybody played this course?  I would be interested to hear your opinions, even though it is a Fazio course.  I played it yesterday for the first time.  Unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me so I do not have any pictures.  The conditions were extremely difficult (30 mph winds).  I thought the course had some good holes, but am interested to hear other opinions.  Thanks.

Sam Morrow

Re: Carlton Woods-Fazio
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 09:53:56 AM »
I haven't played the course but have heard good things. Most people seem to say the course is okay tee to green but that the green complexes are very good. Between the pictures and the description it reminds me of Vaquero (Southlake) with trees.

Yesterday was pretty blustery, it wasn't a good day for scoring over here.

Deucie Bies

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 09:58:35 AM »

No kidding!  It has been awhile since I have playued in that type of wind.  A lot of people that I taked to in Houston over the weekend thought that this course might be the best in Texas.  Maybe I would have to play it again, but I don't see it.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 10:00:02 AM »

No kidding!  It has been awhile since I have playued in that type of wind.  A lot of people that I taked to in Houston over the weekend thought that this course might be the best in Texas.  Maybe I would have to play it again, but I don't see it.

I am supposed to try and play it next week so we'll see. Maybe it is the best in Texas most people I talk to prefer the Nicklaus at Carlton Woods. I'm not a fan of the Nicklaus course though.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 12:27:17 PM »
Sam,

The handful of people I've talked to about Carlton Woods lean toward the Fazio course as the better of the two.  For a flat site, I thought that the Nicklaus course was fantastic (only played it once).  What is it about it that you didn't like?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 12:46:54 PM »
Sam,

The handful of people I've talked to about Carlton Woods lean toward the Fazio course as the better of the two.  For a flat site, I thought that the Nicklaus course was fantastic (only played it once).  What is it about it that you didn't like?

I thought most holes looked the same, it's one of those courses that after the round I couldn't identify which hole was which. Kind of like the issue I have with The Traditions at A&M. In The Woodlands I prefer The Player and old TPC to Nicklaus. Like I said earlier thought I think I'm doing Fazio next week.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 01:13:08 PM »
The Fazio course is a lot of fun, but I don't think it is even close to being best in TX.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 01:15:42 PM »
The Fazio course is a lot of fun, but I don't think it is even close to being best in TX.

Posting from the Volvo? >:(

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 02:07:08 PM »
I've played both courses and think the Fazio course is better than the Nickalus due to the bunkering, terrain elevations, and the more expansive variety of holes.  I haven't even made a dent in playing all the courses in Texas but I wouldn't consider this course the best in the state.  My personal favorite is Whispering Pines (Trinity, TX) which is really a special course IMO.  My favorite Nicklaus course in Texas is actually Lochinvar which is a men's only club.  I would put Carlton Woods in the same category as Vaquero in Dallas which is basically a really nice course but nothing mind blowing.  I have tons of pics if you'd like me to post a few.  The weather wasn't the best for pics that day, but it can at least give you some feel for the place.

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 02:45:32 PM »
Opening Par 4:

2nd Hole:

3rd Fairway:

5th Hole:

Par three 6th Hole:

Driveable Par four 7th:

Dogleg left par four 10th:

11th green:

12th hole:

13th hole:

16th hole (par 3, many would consider signature):

17th hole:

Finishing hole, a par 5 (others might consider this the signature hole):

Eat dinner at the clubhouse and watch shots come in on the 18th:

Deucie Bies

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 03:48:52 PM »
Bill,

Is 18 really a par 5?  I thought it was a 4 on the card.

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
It probably is a par five.  I've played several Fazio's that finished with a similar looking par 5 that I just typed that in as part of habit.  My scorecard is at home but I'm sure you are right.

Steve Lang

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 10:20:40 PM »
 8) The club houses at both the Carlton Woods courses are great.. ;)

We're waiting for CW to go bust, as those courses were originally to be part of the WCC.. before Cresent bought out George Mitchell and created the CW gated community.. 

in the Woodlands we have to keep the neuveaux riche folks locked up  :-X
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Gary Slatter

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 04:25:30 AM »
If this is Carlton Woods in San Diego I played it at least 20 times 10 years ago! It was a lot of fun, our clients enjoyed it as much or more than Steele Canyon (the other course in our "rota").  Our pros enjoyed it the most, we got to play 36 holes while the groups were playing 18.  The range was busy with Korean students, very busy.   Probably changed in the past ten years but I can still remember most of the holes!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Sam Morrow

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 06:15:01 AM »
It's Carlton Woods north of Houston.

Steve Lang

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 06:33:29 AM »
 8)

30° 09' 34.79" N
95° 32' 09.75" W
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Sam Morrow

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 07:49:50 AM »
8)

30° 09' 34.79" N
95° 32' 09.75" W

Nice work Steve! ;D

Deucie Bies

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 09:45:18 AM »
Thanks for the pictures Bill.  The golf course looks a lot different when the grass isn't dormant!  I actually remember every hole quite well so maybe it is a better course than my initial reaction.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 11:00:43 AM »
Looks like the neuveaux riche hittas in H-Town are living alright. The setting at CW appears slightly more beucolic than the ghetto fabulous surrounds at BraeBurn.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 11:57:12 AM »
Looks like the neuveaux riche hittas in H-Town are living alright. The setting at CW appears slightly more beucolic than the ghetto fabulous surrounds at BraeBurn.

I like Braeburn, it was the place to live at one time. But my grandmother still chooses to live right there. ???
The course really is a treat and kind of gets lost in the shuffle in Houston golf.

Deucie Bies

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 12:48:50 PM »
Brae Burn was actually the other course that I played while in Houston this weekend.  It had some funky holes, but overall I thought it was a fun course to play.  The par 3s were difficult.   

Sam Morrow

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 12:59:30 PM »
Brae Burn was actually the other course that I played while in Houston this weekend.  It had some funky holes, but overall I thought it was a fun course to play.  The par 3s were difficult.   

How did you decide on Braeburn?

Deucie Bies

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 01:53:23 PM »
I actually had no input on the courses I played this past weekend.  I left it up to my friend who set everything up.  We were supposed to play HCC on Saturday, but they had a tournament there so we played Braeburn instead.  We were going to play Champions on Monday, but then played Carlton Woods.  I was pleased with both courses I played this weekend.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back