News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Kestin

Future AzaleaGolf Armchair Architecture Contest Topic Ideas
« on: January 17, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
If people enjoy the Augusta edition of the before-mentioned Armchair Architecture contest, I’m definitely planning on trying to run as many more similar contests as the participants desire. I think it’s a shame there are too few of these things going on (only a couple every year that I could find…Lido, Links Magazine, the occasional one like the PGA Tour.Com contest related to the TPC in Texas). I really believe they are great ways of generating discussion, debate and new ideas on golf course design.

I’ve already posted a few concepts for future contests at http://www.azaleagolf.com/Future-Armchair-Architecture-Contests.html, but I’m searching for as many suggestions as you folks are willing to share with me. Also, if there are some ideas I’ve listed on the web page above that you like and others you don’t like, I’d love to hear about that too. If there is one idea in particular that seems to be a favorite, that’ll be the next one up in the rotation.

Sam

Charlie Goerges

Re: Future AzaleaGolf Armchair Architecture Contest Topic Ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 09:19:36 AM »
Hi Sam,

In looking at the Augusta contest thread, one thing that would be useful is a current course map with at least some rudimentary topographical information and a distance scale. If for no other reason than to give us someplace to draw our ideas. Also, some way of discussing the results is good, at least if the participants would like to learn from it.

I'm not suggesting that you go this in-depth, but I don't know if you've seen our current contest. Here is a link. http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38102.0.html Just FYI.

I think these kinds of things are fun and informative. Best of luck

Charlie
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Sam Kestin

Re: Future AzaleaGolf Armchair Architecture Contest Topic Ideas
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 11:57:05 AM »
Charlie,

Thanks for the tips and the head's up about your current contest...I had read a while back that you were thinking about doing one, but I hadn't noticed that you had actually kicked yours off yet.

Having taken a look at your contest, I noticed that you've done a much better job than I have putting together background materials for contest entrants. I definitely hear you on the need to bulk up that aspect of the Augusta contest...in the coming week or two, I'll be posting the basic topographical info/distance scale as well as some other reference materials designed to make it easier for contest entrants to do their homework before putting together their entry. There is a good two months+ before entries are due for the Augusta contest, so I don't expect anyone to be in too big a hurry right now putting their entries together. You and the rest of the gang have my word that by the time anyone sits down to actually do their work on the contest, there will be a much greater wealth of background info available at AzaleaGolf.Com.

As far as a discussion of the results is concerned, I completely agree with you and have planned on making such discussion possible when the time comes to judge the contest and post the results. My site, AzaleaGolf.Com, is only in its beta stages. The full version will launch the Monday of Masters week, and one of the features to the site launched that week will be a discussion board/forum where anyone who so desires can debate/discuss their ideas and the results to the Augusta contest as well as other contests/features of AzaleaGolf. I'll also be scanning and posting on the site as many of the entries as I possibly can, so everyone's ideas can be seen, heard and discussed.

Thanks for taking a look and sharing your thoughts with me. If you have any more, keep em' comin!

Cheers,

Sam 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back