News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Dick Phelps / re: Sierra Del Rio
« on: May 20, 2009, 11:13:13 AM »
During my latest visit to New Mexico I made a side trek to the Truth or Consequences area and played the 18-hole layout designed by Dick Phelps. Previously there had been a 9-hole layout there and given the comments from Andy T and a few others I wanted to see firsthand what was there.

Sierra Del Rio plays just over 7,300 yards and is quite good -- in fact, in a number of spot very good and worth keeping on one's radar screen if you happen to be driving through the area.

Sierra Del Rio starts V-E-R-Y slowly -- the first two holes are nothing more than warm-up holes.

At the 3rd you play a solid slightly uphill double-dogleg hole. Plays 565 yards but when you get a SW or S winds can be shorter. The teeing area presents visual issue you need to overcome. Difficult to discern how much landing area is available and it appears that anything less than ideal will be swallowed up by the surrounding countryside.

The second shot on the 3rd is also challenging. You can either take the bait and play across the desert terrain and search for the blind green in the distance. If you opt for the more safer play -- there's bailout area to the right.

Credit Phelps with a solid contours -- not only on the 3rd but throughout the round there.

There's plenty of other noteworthy holes and a few less so -- will provide shortly.

Matt_Ward

Re: Dick Phelps / re: Sierra Del Rio
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 08:20:52 PM »
Few more facts on Sierra Del Rio ...

Total length = 7,3331 with 74.6 CR / 140 Slope
Blue tees = 6,753 with 71.2 CR / 134 Slope

The key to scoring at Sierra Del Rio is with the first five holes -- two are par-3's with only one of them being a top tier challenge. The other two are fairly lackluster short par-4's. The lone exception in the first five is the solid uphill double-dog-leg par-5 3rd. You would think the par-5 is the easiest of the birdie opportunities but with the exception of the 5th -- the 2nd of the two par-3's on the front --it's the second hardest to birdie in my mind.

When you arrive at the 6th tee you reach the high point on the property and it does provide a quality view. The 6th is the beginning of a troika of par-4 holes and it's on these three holes that Sierra Del Rio can turn quite testy.

The 6th requires a pure tee shot -- with accuracy at the heart of the matter. There is little comfort missing too far left or right. Word of warning -- don't venture too far off the beaten path because with the intense heat and dry air you can find plenty of creeping creatures -- some that rattle -- just waiting to introduce themselves !

The 6th doesn't require max length but positioning. The second shot is also tested because of the slope of the green from back to front. Miss to either side and escaping with a four is nothing more than a dream for most. The downhill dog-leg right 7th is arguably the most demanding tee shot you play on the course -- well, certainly on the front. The 7th moves right but slopes left -- there is more room to the right than you think because too much left and you are dead. Often the SW wind will be kicking into your face at #7 and the downhill nature of the hole is more than offset by the headwind. Listed at 435 yards the 7th is a superb par-4 that blends the dual need for power and shot shaping.

The 8th also s-l-i-d-e-s downhill but is less demanding than the 6th or 7th -- but only by a degree.  The concluding 9th hole is a long par-5 of 602 yards and plays again into a prevailing headwind -- very good closer for the outer half and far from a birdie hole without three well-played shots.

The inner half begin also with a par-5 but far different than the 9th. Here Phelps designed a shepherd staff type hole. You play down the middle and then the hole bends around H20 which you need to decide how much to cut off. The more you cut the easier the pitch but H20 will follow the slightest miss.

The 11th and 12th are good holes -- a longish par-3 and fairly long par-4. The lone letdown hole on the entire inner half is the 390-yd slightlly uphill 13th.

It's the fiinal five holes that bring you home in grand style at Sierra Del Rio -- that includes a gambling par-5, two solid par-4's, a challenging par-3 and a stout closer. More to follow ... hopefully I'll be able to post the pics I took too.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 08:22:04 PM »
Matt,
Do you think that the potential reward at the 3rd is worth the risk? The tee shot is very narrow and semi-blind with the snaking fairway. The approach is very difficult too, although the hole played 3-iron, 3-iron, wedge is pretty reasonable but rather dull. I have a couple friends that HATE the hole, I think the idea is good but its not one of the better executions of a risk/reward scenario that I've seen.

I do think the course as a whole is pretty good though. I liked the 15th and 16th especially. Would you put Sierra del Rio in New Mexico's top ten?

Did you play Rainmakers or Outlaw around Ruidoso?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 08:29:35 PM »
Andy:

I played the 3rd with a 3-metal and 6-iron to the back third of the green. No doubt the wind was blowing quite hard behind me.

The visual imagery is not be psyched out when standing on the tee. Just play off the fairway bunker on the right with a draw tee shot.

The key to making the bold play starts with the tee shot. Those who decide to layback clearly don't want to entertain the risk that's present. I see that as a design strength -- not a weakness. The 2nd shot, should one go for it, is blind and requires a tremendous sense of feel for the direction / line you decide to take. The green is also well done -- plenty of contour without being excessive.

Top ten public ?

For me -- yes.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
Matt,
I meant top 10 overall--I definitely agree its in the top 10 publics but that list isn't that deep. Its closer if you include Las Campanas, Four Hills, Rainmakers, and Outlaw I would think.

Interesting comments regarding #3. I'd like to see it again, I didn't get a good feeling for how it really played by just trying it once so far. Its an awkward looking hole, but has some merit. I got close to the green in two, but don't think it was a good percentage play. Its a more interesting hole for a long hitter like yourself that has more options than playing position golf.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 12:19:45 AM »
Andy:

On the overall side I'd say the layout offers a good deal more than the ones you mentioned -- though I have not played Rainmakers and Outlaw thus far. When the wind kicks up -- it was blowing a steady 20 mph when I was there -- you need to be really sure to find fairways -- if you miss a bit too much to the sides the demands for recoverying will only intensify. That's a big differences when you hold the course against the likes of Las Campanas which is a great testament to the Nicklaus designs days of the past -- more green carpet than anything else. Ditto Four Hills which is a fine layout but just not that consistently good as Sierra Del Rio.

So yes, I would say it grabs a top ten overall position for me. If the place ever improved the 1st, 2nd and 5th holes the place would be even better.

In regards to the 3rd -- the key thing is the visual psyche-out the architect provides. Drive a cart further up the hill and you SEE more landing area at that point than when standing by the tee box. That's a design PLUS for me. Make the golfer feel uncomfortable is an OK tactic -- the golfer then needs to OVERCOME that with sound execution. A draw off the fairway bunker allows the player to reach a go-or-no-go position for the 2nd shot.

Nonetheless, the line you need to take to go for the green in two is also a dicey proposition -- as it should be when you factor in the risk involved for the reward being sought.

Often timess from my experiences "S" shaped holes don't often work because the dimensions really don't play out in real terms for a broad range of handicap types. The par-5 3rd at Sierra Del Rio would make my short list for best par-5 holes in The Land of Enchantment.

I'll finish my thoughts on the final five holes which really made the day for me when playing there.

The par-5 14th is also a superlative hole and gets lost with the attention paid to the 3rd. More to follow ...

Andy Troeger

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 08:38:20 AM »
Matt,
You like this course because it demands accurate driving--that's not something I'm looking for in a desert course because often there isn't much recovery option. I'd rather play a desert course that has more green grass because at least a shot in the rough or bunkers is playable. You're going to disagree, but that's why I like Saguaro more than you and The Rim over Chaparral Pines.

Regarding the 3rd, we did drive up to see the area, but lets face it there's still not much grass out there and with the angle its a difficult shot. If you can hit a draw its do-able, but that's really the only way to get it past the bunker (playing a straightball or fade over the desert would be rather foolhardy IMO). I agree that making the golfer think and be uncomfortable is a good tactic, but that alone doesn't make this a good hole.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 01:27:45 PM »
Andy:

Sierra Del Rio does give you room to maneuver -- it just doesn't give people the width of Kansas to do it.

The idea that Sierra Del Rio is extremely narrow is not accurate -- ditto any related link to Chapparal Pines.

Sometimes the less is more approach equates to less is less outcomes -- I see that far too many time with a bunch of holes at
Saguaro at We-ko-Pa and The Rim.

Andy, you missed plenty on the 3rd hole -- with no disrespect. Making players uncomfortable is part and parcel of design. There's more than sufficient room to land the tee ball -- players need to have a bit more courage and sound execution to pull it off. That'sfair game in my book. Some holes will require a certain type of ball flight and shto control to gain the ideal landing area. The 3rd at Sierra Del Rio does that in a big time way. So does ANGC's 13th which calls upob the player to draw the ball to set-up a possible for the green in two blows strategy.

Designers have to apply a variety of mind games with players -- Dye did this with a number of his designs early on his career. Too often the better players want to have guaranteed sight lines and complete and total fairness. That's not always the case and the player can be called upon to shape shots as needed. The 3rd does that on the tee shot -- those who wuss out can always get there the conventional way with three decent shots. Reward would have little meaning if meaningful risk were not involved. The 3rd here does that in my mind.

Gents:

The final five holes ...

14th hole (536 yards) / par-5

Calls for a draw over the left fairway bunker complex. Pushing it just a tad too far right and you can run out of fairway. A well-played tee shot -- one that mixes sufficient distance PLUS shot movement will have th echoice in going for the green in two blows. The green sits high above the fairway and you need to avoid a solitary tree that stands like a sentinel on the right side. Just looking at the card and you would think this is a cinch birdie hole. Far from it.

15th hole (451 yards) / par-4

Again another right-to-left hole -- you hit from the highest point immediately near the 6th tee. The more you can cut successfully the shorter and easier your second shot will be. Pushing the ball too far right and you can run out of fairway. The right side bunkers on the fairway are meant to stop such shots from going too far. When playing into a breezy situation -- the 15th is really demanding to get your mind totally on what's needed. Try to bite too much off and you will be reloading. There's a good reason why it's the #1 handicap hole there.

16th hole (416 yards) / par-4

Plays from an incrediblly elevated tee bos -- with fake mineshaft and excavation car included !

Again, decision-making time at the tee. You can opt for the safe play to the right which avoids the barranca that cuts down the middle of the drive zone. If the wind were to die -- it usually plays into one's face -- you canalso decide to cut across the far left side. Little real advantage but I have heard some have done it. Best green complex on the course with two distinct tiers.

17th hole (167 yards) / par-3

Plays over water but the key is when the pin is hard right and you need to stop the approach quickly befpre it can release and possible go over. Could be the best par-3 at the course -- along with the 5th.

18th hole (452 yards) / par-4

Plays back into the prevailing SW wind and be as much as 30-40 yards longer. Good driving hole but with more than ample space. Green is like the others -- providing enough landing area with a bit of contour to keep you honest.

A solid fivesome of holes to conclude the round.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 02:41:29 PM »
Matt,
Its pretty apparent that you think narrow holes are just fine and I don't like them. The 3rd hole doesn't have ample driving space IMO. Most of the other holes at Sierra del Rio do though. Chaparral Pines has at least a few holes, usually par fives as well, that are way too narrow for my liking that could be great holes given a little more room.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 05:39:56 PM »
Andy:

You keep on harping about the narrowness of Sierra Del Rio -- when did 40-yard fairways become narrow ?

You need to see things from a wider perspective (no pun intended). If you're looking for fairways as wide as Kansas then by all means skip Sierra Del Rio and a host of other similar courses in the southwest. There are playable recovery areas at Sierra Del Rio but the flatout MISS is not going to be cuddled -- nor should it be.

The visual of the 3rd at Sierra Del Rio are the creation of a fine architect's slight of hand insertion via Dick Phelps. If people want the reward then they need to understand how to overcome the risk. Simple as that.

If you have specifics on holes too narrow at CP please provide and I'd be happy to address them.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 08:12:44 PM »
Matt,
My issue is with the 3rd at Sierra del Rio. If you re-read my last post, I said that the course as a whole provides ample driving space. The 7th and especially the 12th at Chaparral Pines are too narrow. The 14th on the second shot is as well, especially given the trees in the middle of the area between the fairways. I like the 7th hole anyway, but the 12th I didn't care for. Add the 11th--even though I hit that fairway its too narrow IMO as well.

I really like #16 at Sierra del Rio, but there's no point in trying to go left unless you can reach the green. Its probably fun to try in a casual round or a scramble, but I don't think many would really consider it an "option" type of hole.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 10:46:39 PM »
Andy:

You may not have paced the width of the 3rd but it's more than ample -- the fairways at BB for the upcoming US Open are narrow as a comparison guide. I did re-read your post -- several times. I think you need to see / play the hole again to better understand what I have been saying.

If a player opts for the most conservative approach -- the 3-iron, 3-iron and then wedge -- so be it. Birdie is still possible -- but the hole invites the RISK side of things and the visual "terror" Phelps employs is no different than what you see with a whole host of early Pete Dye designs. Jim Engh does much of the same thing with his stellar par-5 holes.

Strong players can achieve a mega reward but they have to take a fair amount of risk -- that's a fair tradeoff and when the hole plays downwind it's not that long for players to get there without having to bomb driver and fairway metal to do it.

Shaping shots off the tee is FUNDAMENTAL element of skill. Too many people on this site only seem to think that the back-end of a hole -- e.g., the greensite and areas just off of it -- should be severe as needed. I salute Phelps for making the tee game a key element in marrying accuracy and power while at the same time calling upon the player to work the ball as the situation demands.

I mentioned the shortcut at #16 only as a lark. The scenery and shotmaking elements are all there for players to see. Getting the ball to finish near -- without going in the barranca -- is a major component in playing the hole. I also see the green as the best of what Phelps did there.

In sum, Sierra Del Rio has a wide range of architectural elements and when you have to cope with a mega wind -- in excss of 20 mph it will summon from any player the best they can provide. I liked the course a lot -- save for the weaker holes I previously mentioned. A solid top ten overall spot for me -- and a good ways ahead of so many of the other public courses such as Cochiti, Isleta, Taos, Sandia, etc, etc.

What Phelps has done there is akin to what Ken Kavanaugh did with Vista Verde in AZ and Rochelle Ranch in Rawlins, WY. Very solid public designs that fly considerably below the radar screen and each charges a very reasonable fee to play them.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 11:25:11 PM »
Attempting to attach a photo of #3. Its from behind the green and really doesn't add to the discussion, but its a photo nonetheless!  ;D

The approach if one goes for it must carry the desert area shown in the photo. There is a lay-up area out to the right side of the photo.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 11:28:49 PM »
Tee shot at the 16th from the high tee.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 08:15:11 PM »
Andy:

Let me say this about Sierra Del Riio -- so much of the fanfare tied to GCA is the erroneous conclusion -- not shared by you and a few others -- that quality design is not the domain of a certain group of people or that one particular style is the benchmark by which all future designs need to follow.

Dick Phelps deserves plenty of credit for what he designed at Sierra Del Rio. It is by no means bulletproof and has some clear deficiencies but all in all it adds another reason to play golf in NM -- especially those who travel to and from I-25.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back