News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Leahy

I would love to see the pros play Lake Chabot. Watch those huge drives from all those elevated tees and see how they play the 18th, changed from a par 6 to a par 4 for the pros.

I would like to see how they handle the wind at Bodega Harbor too, that would be fun.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Anthony Gray

How about our home courses so we can see just how talented we really are.

Anthony

Tom Huckaby

How about our home courses so we can see just how talented we really are.

Anthony

Read up above, Anthony.  I suggested mine.  And of course it's to ascertain the LACK of talent we have... but I'm sure that's what you meant.

TH

John Moore II

We've had the discussion on here a time or two before. I'd sort of like to see a tour event at Tobacco Road, but I really have a feeling those guys would shoot 10 or 12 under every round they played there. Tot Hill Farm might be able to stand up to those guys, but I am not certain.

Mike Hendren

The Honors Course.

I fear the pros might go wicked low at Cypress Point and National Golf Links of America.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom Huckaby

I fear the pros might go wicked low at Cypress Point and National Golf Links of America.

Mike

I know they'd go wicked low at each.  I'd enjoy watching them do so.  Wouldn't you?

Mike Hendren

Tom,

Yes.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom Huckaby

Tom,

Yes.

Bogey

Excellent.  I guess the word "fear" threw me off.

I'm thinking Cypress is a par 68 these days.  I think we could give them crazy tough pins if we wanted to keep them in the mid-60s... and of course wind changes everything... but outside of that, low 60s would be required to stay with the field.

TH

Jason Topp

We've had the discussion on here a time or two before. I'd sort of like to see a tour event at Tobacco Road, but I really have a feeling those guys would shoot 10 or 12 under every round they played there. Tot Hill Farm might be able to stand up to those guys, but I am not certain.

I agree and also think it would be pretty boring golf - forced layup off most tees and wedges into the greens other than the par fives which would be pretty short 2nd shots into the greens.

Mike Wagner

Erin Hills from 8200 yards!

Mark Arata

I just got done reading "The Match"  by Mark Frost about the famous Venturi-Ward/Hogan-Nelson match, and I, for one, would love to see them play Cypress. I cant imagine how good that match must have been, to shoot 63, 65, 65, 67 in a match and it requiring Birdie or better to win every hole on the back nine at Cypress. Wow.

I am sure they would probably go real low, but I would love to see them play Kingsley, or Yale, it would be a lot of fun to watch them play those greens and see them hit the right approach shots into them. I would love to see them play Prairie Dunes with the wind up and the greens running fast.

New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

John Moore II

I agree and also think it would be pretty boring golf - forced layup off most tees and wedges into the greens other than the par fives which would be pretty short 2nd shots into the greens.

And if they decided not to lay up, it would make for some crazy shots. I'd like to see those guys try and drive the green on 2, 10, 12, and 15. But otherwise, it would be highly boring. All the par 5's are essentially par 4's for them, with the exception of 13 (and only then if they decide not to cut it over the trees and have about 100 yards into the green)

Mike_Cirba

Given how far equipment and ball technology has been let slip out of control, I can't think of a single Golden Age course where I'd actually want to see the pros play.

I think it's better off they are mostly playing modern courses stretched and narrowed and stimping at 43.

For many, many years I felt that it was important that the game was the same for everyone, but the governing bodies let that egalitarian dream turn into self-delusional fantasy.

I used to disagree vehemently with Rihc when he talked about bifurcation but I'm starting to believe that's going to happen whether we agree or not, or whether it's something consciously planned or not.   

I don't know how one defenses against a 150 yard pitching wedge, or a 380 yard drive.

Those distances are not unusual yet it means that a 530 yard hole is driver/wedge, as Tiger proved on the 15th at ANGC over a decade ago.

How far did Ogilvy drive the other day on 17 at Kapalua?   430 yards?!?!  :o ::)

I think it's time that much like baseball, the professional tour moves to persimmon and balata, and then perhaps once again we might see something worth watching on any golf course, whether it's La Costa, or Firestone, or Merion or Valhalla.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:59:18 PM by MikeCirba »

Patrick_Mucci

Mike Cirba,

We're finally in almost complete agreement. ;D

Mike_Cirba

Patrick,

It's about time I've finally convinced you!  ;)  ;D

Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 09:06:28 AM by MikeCirba »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back