News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Rich Goodale

Re: WELL NOW....
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 07:34:43 AM »
A couple of things intrigued me from later reports on the final.  Firstly, the runner-up didn't seem to have played golf at University (as he said he took the game up at age 27), and the winner was around in 73, which is not that great a score over Rye, even during the winter months.  Sounds like a grat time was had by all, however, as per usual.

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 08:10:28 AM »
Rihc

I don't know.  I was down at Burnham on Saturday and it was ever so COLD.  The ground was frozen except for in places it wasn't - if you know what I mean.  Trying to figure out how the ball was going to react was oh so difficult.  Conditions for the week would have been very cold and draining for those who kept winning.  Do recall they play from sun up to sun down trying to get two matches in per day - a torrid pace in nasty conditions.  If conditions were like this at Rye for the final and there was any wind, 73 would be a very credible score and I would say tough to beat.  Remember, these guys are amateurs, proper amateurs with jobs. 

Yours Faithfully

From a Putter Well Wisher
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 08:26:14 AM »
Sean, Rich -

I can't wait now for the next time I lose a match in extra holes. Over a drink at the bar, I'll get to say:  "On the 19th I was as chaff under the wheels of his chariot, old boy.”

O death, where is thy sting?

Peter

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 09:09:15 AM »
You are so right, Peter

Phases such as that, as well as other gems like "What a pity..." and "I'm gonna let the big dog hunt!" should be de rigeur at all GCA.com Majors.

Rich

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 01:02:10 PM »
As the sun set over a spectral winter landscape, the gentlemen of the Oxford and Cambridge Golf Society repaired to the town for an evening of joshing and japes.

or

“I can best explain it by saying that it was like losing your virginity,” he said. “You knew what you were supposed to be doing and what the target was but you weren't quite sure how to do it and none too clear about the route you were supposed to take, nor even that you had done it.”

I always wanted to repair to a town for joshing and japes, but alas I was not born a fortunate son...  :-\ ;D  With lines like those, Monty Python is almost obligated to reprise the classic skit, "British Upper Class Twit of the Year", using the President's Putter as the backdrop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDPTC-yAmgo

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back