News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Sledging on the 18th
« on: January 18, 2015, 11:57:55 AM »
Wilmslow was closed for golf today - overnight snow. But it was open for sledging - a nice touch, I thought, keeping the steward and his wife and the caterers usefully employed.

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Sledging on the 18th
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 12:22:06 PM »
Nice, Did they charge visitors a White fee?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 02:28:27 PM »
We've not had any proper snow for a couple of years, but when we do our epic 18th hill is a magnet for local kids and we let them sledge away to their hearts' content. The Pro does well on hot drinks and Mars bars too.

James Bennett

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 03:02:48 PM »
I must be watching too much cricket - I thought this thread was going to be about trash-talking the opposition on the last hole of a macth, which I also thought was a touch aggressive for Mark Rowlinson to post about. 

My sister in North Yorkshire has just had a nice smattering of snow, but alas there is no slope on her property for sledging.  Although she could get a sheltie team together to pull a sled aroun the property.

James
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 04:12:35 PM »
Had quite a bit of snow here in the last week or so. Done some sledging down the driveway and 9th hole.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:24:01 AM by Jon Wiggett »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 05:08:44 PM »
Interesting..."sledding" is the term at least in the Northeast US.

A lot of local clubs recently have seriously prohibited this...even to the point of strategically placing fencing to make it impossible on some slopes.  A few clubs have been sued successfully for a sledding injury happening on club property despite the activity having nothing to do with the club...not involving a member or club-organized sledding, etc.

Personally, I think it's nuts one can go to a hill on a snowy golf course, pitch yourself out of your sled and cause injury, then sue the club for not telling you that you might hurt yourself beforehand.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Josh Stevens

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 06:31:21 PM »
Hm ok, sledging obviously means something different up there.
Down here it would mean standing on the 18th tee all square in the match, and just as your opponent is about to swing you mention how good his mother was in bed last night.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 06:36:53 PM »
Sledding great.

But I'm guessing giving the staff a paid Sunday "snow day" off might've gone over pretty well too ;) ;D ::) ::)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 05:30:22 PM »
Until some kid falls off and a scummy lawyer tries to sue the club.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back