News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Do we take this GCA stuff too seriously???
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2009, 10:13:52 AM »
As one who has belonged to several other sites over the years I can tell you that GCA.com is both normal and unique in all the best ways.

Normal:

-- Its very common for people to have disagreements, get in fights, and even develop a bit of bad blood for each other on sites like these.  Sites like this are just an extension of life in that you meet some people you like, and others not so much.  I don't think its any more complex than that.

-- People who tend to frequent these sites tend to be very passionate about whatever it is that brought them there, otherwise they wouldn't be spending so much time at the site...simple as that.

-- For as much some folks really love to dive in and analyze every last thing, you'd be amazed at how this is done on other enthusiast sites for just about anything you can think of.  Car nuts, astromors, cheese coniseurs, star trek trekkies, beer snobs, climatetologists, and the list goes on and on.  GCA.com is indeed a great outlet for people to meet birds of the same feather....because 99.99% of people have no interest in discussing these things in great detail.

Unique:

-- The camraderie here despite a few folks who can't/won't/refuse to get along is 2nd to none...it really is.  Genuine folks who really care about this stuff and go out of thier way with their time and money to play and talk all things architecture.

-- The level of civility is actually pretty darn good in here and being required to post under your name is likely a big part of it. This is the only site I've been to that requires this and it works really well IMO.  Without this a lot more trolling/flaming/bad behavoir would be happening.

-- Another great aspect to this site is having so many people who work in the industry willing to come on and share thier thoughts in great detail.  I really appreciate this aspect of the site and hope everyone is thankful for the insight one can recieve by participating in such a forum.  These guys don't have to do this and think it very douche-baggish when they get chased away with false accusations/hassling or otherwise.

--  From a content viewpoint this site is by far and away 2nd to none. The combination of interesting topics, course reviews both formal and informal, guys getting together for outings, candid discussion on just about anything, in-depth course histories, trips to the library for research, etc make for a terrific place to throw down a few stakes and call home.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2009, 10:41:04 AM »

Kalen

Speak for yourself, I have not used my real name as my initials are rather unfortunate so have settled for MHM rather than – well you work it out

Percival
Eugene
Neville
Ian
Smyth

I think my mother had a sense of humour or just rejected me from birth. In those days it was not polite to call ones son a prick so she did the next best think.

Yet still love my old Mum who would not approve of this type of humour

I am of course joking but nice post, well said.

From the real and only

Melvyn

Kalen Braley

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2009, 10:50:44 AM »
Melyvn,

Even though GCA.com tends to be comprised of more traditional type players/thinkers, I think we can put up with you despite your insistence on using golf carts, distance aids, ultra-modern equipment and every lastest new gadget that you can get your fingers on.  ;D

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2009, 10:58:43 AM »
As one who has belonged to several other sites over the years I can tell you that GCA.com is both normal and unique in all the best ways.

Normal:

-- Its very common for people to have disagreements, get in fights, and even develop a bit of bad blood for each other on sites like these.  Sites like this are just an extension of life in that you meet some people you like, and others not so much.  I don't think its any more complex than that.

-- People who tend to frequent these sites tend to be very passionate about whatever it is that brought them there, otherwise they wouldn't be spending so much time at the site...simple as that.

-- For as much some folks really love to dive in and analyze every last thing, you'd be amazed at how this is done on other enthusiast sites for just about anything you can think of.  Car nuts, astromors, cheese coniseurs, star trek trekkies, beer snobs, climatetologists, and the list goes on and on.  GCA.com is indeed a great outlet for people to meet birds of the same feather....because 99.99% of people have no interest in discussing these things in great detail.

Unique:

-- The camraderie here despite a few folks who can't/won't/refuse to get along is 2nd to none...it really is.  Genuine folks who really care about this stuff and go out of thier way with their time and money to play and talk all things architecture.

-- The level of civility is actually pretty darn good in here and being required to post under your name is likely a big part of it. This is the only site I've been to that requires this and it works really well IMO.  Without this a lot more trolling/flaming/bad behavoir would be happening.

-- Another great aspect to this site is having so many people who work in the industry willing to come on and share thier thoughts in great detail.  I really appreciate this aspect of the site and hope everyone is thankful for the insight one can recieve by participating in such a forum.  These guys don't have to do this and think it very douche-baggish when they get chased away with false accusations/hassling or otherwise.

--  From a content viewpoint this site is by far and away 2nd to none. The combination of interesting topics, course reviews both formal and informal, guys getting together for outings, candid discussion on just about anything, in-depth course histories, trips to the library for research, etc make for a terrific place to throw down a few stakes and call home.

This is a very good, very accurate post but I'd add one point.

We're golfers, and by nature that makes most of us gentlemen.

We're also into gca, and as my friend redanman told me on the day I met him 9 years ago, to which I readily agreed, "I've never met a stiff who's into architecture."

We've since both had reason to reconsider the validity  of that statement in intervening years a time or two ;), but overall, everyone I've actually met in person on this site, and that number is a LOT, have been great guys.

But Kalen...can you tell us how you know the indepth's and goings on of the nerdy Star Trek groups, etc.??   :o ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2009, 11:05:27 AM »
Mike,

I ummm...errrrr...uummm...wouldn't have the slightest clue where one could find said trekkie enthusiast website.  ::)  ::)  ::)

But my best childhood buddy could probably tell you...he's a world of warcraft nut and got to know where to go!!  ;D

Kyle Harris

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2009, 11:07:01 AM »
Mike,

I ummm...errrrr...uummm...wouldn't have the slightest clue where one could find said trekkie enthusiast website.  ::)  ::)  ::)

But my best childhood buddy could probably tell you...he's a world of warcraft nut and got to know where to go!!  ;D

www.memory-alpha.org

Kalen Braley

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2009, 11:11:40 AM »
Mike,

www.memory-alpha.org

Kyle to the rescue,

Anyone who loves to play in the dirt, snort pipe glue, and smell divots all day long has go to be cut from the same cloth as Captain James T. Kirk.  ;)

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2009, 11:15:50 AM »

Kalen

Use fighting language like that again and I’ll be on the first flight over to sort you out.

I was part of a group that get dressed up and burnt cart tracks over here. Its run by an Irish, Welsh & English guys who have not yet realised that concreted does not burn no matter how many tyres you use. I suggested ducking the drivers in the near by ponds as they make their rounds or ask for a ransom to help pay my next round at TOC, but apparently that’s not the done thing. One of the group suggested speed cameras and fine drivers for speeding, but as that is exactly what we are trying to get rid of,  he was asked to leave. So have realised that they are not totally with the program I left too.

Now I wage my war with sugar in the fuel and electronic interference to dive these Range Finders to a false reading, and boy do I have fun with the sprinkle head markers. So pace out the shot don’t rely on these gadgets, slows the pace of the round and ultimately you get banned from the course.

Slow progress but it is starting to work, the cynics put it down to the credit crunch but I know better.

Melvyn 

Kirk Gill

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2009, 05:54:56 PM »
Melvyn, and all, thanks for taking this GCA stuff too seriously, and for also being able to simultaneously have such a terrific sense of humor about the whole thing.

Just prior to Christmas, a friend of mine told me that he was considering asking his girlfriend to marry him, except for the fact that she bought and brewed cheap coffee.

Cheap coffee?

Yes, in all of our lives, a little perspective goes a long way...........

Cheers........
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2009, 06:15:26 PM »

Kirk

The game is what you want it to be. But what good would it be if it did not allow some fun and humour. It taught me that when at times you make a fool out of yourself, you laugh at yourself along with the others.

It’s a great game that gives pleasure, enjoyment, exercise, fun and companionship. You learn to laugh and take what comes knowing the afternoon offers you another chance – oh sorry that’s not applicable in North America with your 5-6 hour rounds.  One day you will learn that God made AM & PM to enable us to play a round of golf in the morning and afternoon, totalling 36 holes. Master that Grasshopper and the whole meaning of life will still probably pass you by. ::)

Melvyn

PS A Kung Fu thought - walking on rice paper with studs leaves holes.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2009, 10:37:19 AM »
Mike-

I think GCA is a hobby and a passion for most on here. The natural progression of this forum is for the members to look into the details and unique parts of their passion.

I thought the thread on original greens still left in the US was neat...maybe the most as a way to learn about how greens evolve. Someone like me who is somewhat new to this learns the most from threads like these.

Seems like a good attitude to me :) :) :)

Maybe to add on to my first post I would say that almost all of us take this seriously...perhaps too many on here take it too personally.

Pat,

Are u Hamilton B Hearst? ;D

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back