News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

British Aerial 12
« on: December 11, 2008, 06:01:35 AM »
One of the most primitive golf courses I know, and all the better for it. It's a place we should all play at least once just to remind ourselves what golf used to be like. You need good weather, however, to enjoy the scenic grandeur.

James Boon

Re: British Aerial 12
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 04:03:11 AM »
Mark,

Certainly looks interesting golfing ground down there? Looks similar rolling ground to Askernish but I know its not there, maybe somewhere else in the Hebridies? Go on, give us a clue?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 05:22:15 AM »
I'm dying to hear about this one too, Mark.  What strikes me is the complete lack of civilisation in the vicinity, as well as the fact that it is hard to tell where the "golf course" starts and stops and where "civilisation" ends and begins.

It almost looks like an ancient sandbox for juvenile golf course architects!

Keep stringing us along, if you wish, but I'm gong to wait for the punchline and then arrange to get there!

Rich

James Boon

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 05:46:40 AM »
As Rich says, its difficult to see where everything is, but it looks like it could be nine holes? If so is there room for another nine??? If so there could be a rush to play in the sandbox  ::)

Cheers

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 06:21:47 AM »
The club was formed in 1893 but closed in 1935, because of the general economic situation and the difficulties of getting to the course. It was reopened in 1967. It is maintained by the members themselves on a voluntary basis. Its nine holes, played twice give a course of 4,602 metres and par of 68. I haven't played it since the mid 1990s, but at that time I was told that there had never been a hole-in-one on the course.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 06:26:41 AM »
Of course there has never been a hole-in-one, Mark!  To have one you need a hole.... :o

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 06:37:59 AM »
Mark, might there be Dragons there? Red ones?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 06:44:54 AM »
No civilisation.....I was tempted to say Scotland but realised I could end up taking a nasty "tumble" from the end of Deal pier during the Buda!!
Cave Nil Vino

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 06:55:16 AM »
Tony, Right country.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 07:48:42 AM »
When you've identified it I'll post a link to the club's website which has a map of the course and good photographs.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 08:56:41 AM »
Ffestiniog???

James Boon

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 09:29:30 AM »
Ffestiniog???

I think Jon has it?

The terrain looked like it had to be coastal? I would have gone all around the coast looking and still not found it  >:(

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 09:46:30 AM »
Well done, Jon, Ffestiniog it is. I commend a visit to their website for photos: http://www.ffestinioggolf.org/
You are 900 feet up, yet only a few minutes' drive from Harlech.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 10:02:55 AM »
You are are also within yards of Mt. Snowdon.  Just for that, the dirve is worth it.

OK, Mark--how does one pronounce "Ffestiniog" without choking on ones pork scratchings?

Thanks

Rich

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 10:17:51 AM »
Most of the clubs and courses in that area are Welsh-speaking, so it would be as natural to them as Auchtermuchty is to you, easier after a dram or two, I suspect.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back