News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

"Walking" Scorecards
« on: January 28, 2013, 11:36:35 AM »
The Minikahda Club in Minneapolis has different scorecards depending on whether the golfer is walking or riding in a cart. The "cart" scorecard is larger, glossy, a bit more modern looking, and fits easily under the clip on the cart steering wheel...seemingly a fairly common scorecard. The "walking" scorecard, of which I prefer, is smaller, made of unglossed paper, features minimal notes and markings, and a small logo.

When I tried Google and this site's search engine, I couldn't find any information regarding "walking" scorecards. Does anyone have any more information regarding this practice and any other examples of courses that use them? Thanks.
H.P.S.

Bill McKinley

Re: "Walking" Scorecards
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 11:44:38 AM »
At Canterbury we use two separate cards, the regular card and the championship card.  The regular card has the member, senior, and forward tees on it. It is larger than the champ card. The champ card is small and only has the one set of tees on it. It would be considered a walking card for sure. But the main reason we went with 2 separate cards was because we didn't want to have too many numbers on one card. The champ tees have different handicaps than the other tees and it plays to a par 71 while all other tees play to a par 72. If we only used the one card it would have been too cluttered.
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 12:11:09 PM »
Pat - I have a bunch of examples from Scotland golf courses at my house.  They would be ideal if they were more sweat resistant - which isn't much of an issue in Scotland. 

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 12:24:46 PM »
Honors Course and Holston Hills come to mind as clubs that have/had "walkers" cards. 

My preference is for "the scorecard" to be a walker's card. 

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 12:36:53 PM »
The Golf House Club, Elie has a visitors card, which has colour pictures, is larger and is printed on glossy card, a members card, which is smaller, has no pictures but has yardages from white and yellow tees and is only plain card and an even smaller, plainer competition card which only has medal tees, Stroke Indexes and par and bogey scores.  Oh, and a Ladies card.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 03:19:10 PM »
Thanks guys!
H.P.S.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 04:53:36 PM »
interesting, i've always just grabbed the cart scorecard because it is a little more durable from being stuck in my back pocket.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 05:01:06 PM »

I have always liked the bigger card for when we have a five player Wolf game.

The smallest card that I still own is one from Muirfield: I believe I posted it once some years ago.

Bob
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:51:49 PM by Bob_Huntley »

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 06:02:09 PM »
It's not that uncommon.  Easier to tuck into your back pocket if walking.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Greg Holland

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 08:09:37 AM »
Starmount Forest CC in Greensboro has or has had one.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 11:57:46 AM »
The darling Copake Country Club has two different scorecards, the cart card being horizontally oriented and the walking card being vertically oriented. Vertical scorecards are the best.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tim Martin

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 07:17:53 PM »
The darling Copake Country Club has two different scorecards, the cart card being horizontally oriented and the walking card being vertically oriented. Vertical scorecards are the best.

Tim-I recently came across the Copake card when digging out a card I had a double of for a friend. Much better than the cart card. Wannamoisett has a great vertical card not much bigger than Copake's.

mike_beene

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 11:46:21 PM »
We have a smaller walking scorecard at Lakewood in Dallas.Not much different than the cart card but easy to put in your pocket

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 06:31:59 AM »
Scorecards in the UK used all to be the same size, so that you could use it to measure a stymie.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 08:05:50 AM »
We (French Creek) "stole" our scorecard design from Applebrook.  It's small, non-glossy, and easily fits in your pocket  No hole pictures, no color.  Love it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back