News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Hidden Gem Profile: Lightning Bug At Solitude
« on: November 29, 2008, 12:43:13 PM »
At the risk of losing playing privileges I am compelled at long last to profile the elusive Lightning Bug Golf Course at Solitude.  Using the last straw of discretion I will not, however reveal its location.  After all, Solitude is not so much a place as a state of mind.

"The Bug" as it is lovingly called by the locals is a five holes course stretching to 555 yards from the tips.  Like the great clubs in America, it is ruled by a single man - Bill Blackburn who also designed and built the layout. The following rules posted on the barn at the first tee are rigorously enforced and define the spirit of the club:

You will always be welcome at the Lightning Bug Golf Course if you:

1.  Learn and play by the rules of golf.
2.  Learn and use proper etiquette.
3.  Are friendly and kind to everyone who wishes to play, regardless of their skill level.
4.  Immediately return to the house or barn at the first sight of bad weather.
5.  Respect the course and property, keeping it clean and in good condition.
6.  Have fun and bring a friend when you return.

There is no entry sign, just directions from the owner that reference nearby geographical features, thus making one of the great entrance drives in America extremely difficult to find:

This is a no-frills club as evidenced by the adaption of the existing milk barn for a clubhouse/maintenance facility:

In the tradition of a true championship test, the first hole is the most demanding on the course, a slight dogleg left playing 145 yards downhill across a hazard to a small canted green:

From the tips the hole is all carry at 171 yards at a slight angle:

The second hole plays 102 from both markers and features a green that slopes wildly from right to left with a false left side as show in this photo from the left side of the green:

The third plays 99/102 from this elevated tee hard by on-site accomodations dating from the early 1800's:

OB lurks behind and right of the green where shadows yield confusing reads on the putts (hint: they all break toward the rear of the green).  The ground game is very much alive here:

As the photo indicates the club has embarked on a questionable tree planing program (not that there's anything wrong with that, Mr. Blackburn).

The 4th plays slightly uphill at 68 yards and features the only bunker on the course hard by the green's front right:

The owner is on retainer with Merion Golf Club for his bunker surrounds expertise.

The finisher is a tough uphill hole playing 57 yards from the members tee and 111 from the tips.   

It should be noted that the fountain is not an architectural element but rather a source of oxygen for the pond - the scorecard has a section devoted to the number of bass, bluegill and catfish caught (and of course, released). 

The course opened in 2004 and hosts an annual fund-raiser where four rounds are played in a single day.  It is possible I can wrangle invitations for treehouse members if given several years notice.

Bogey

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 01:09:15 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom Naccarato

Re: Hidden Gem Profile: Lightning Bug At Solitude
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 12:47:38 PM »
Hillbilly Hendren,
Now this is a course I could sink my teeth into, being that I'm a huge fan of Duke's Lakeview Par 3 Challenge Course on Lake Vancouver, Washington.

One question, How many brothers, sisters or cousins have been harmed in that their shack? ::)  Was this location used in the making of the movie, "Deliverance"? It sure looks like it...

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 12:53:28 PM »
Tommy, perhaps a shack in California, but a "single-family residence" in Tennessee.  Moreoever, unlike millions of your neighbors the residence is unencumbered as opposed to "under water" or "bank owned."

Let's keep this architecture-related, please. ;)

Bogey

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 01:23:31 PM »
Hillbilly,
You must not have read my opening sentence where I was relating it to Duke's Challenge. That's pretty architectural to me...

The Delieverence thing, well that's architectural too. Using the most strategical fast way to get the Hell out of there if you see a kid like this playing banjo on the porch!

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 01:27:12 PM »
Also, I'll have you know that the Skins Game in on TV; at the most beautiful Indian Wells resort where Clive Clark has impeccably created--out of Ted Robinson mess--18 of the most beautiful signature holes in golf....

So much for modern California Golf; maybe it would be better that I was playing golf at Humbug at Solitude

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 02:47:09 PM »
Mike - I watched "Sergeant York" last night for, oh, the 70th time - with the great Gary Cooper as the great War hero from Tennessee.  Mr. Blackburn's land looks a lot like that piece of bottom land Alvin had been fixing to get himself but never could, until the state of Tennessee gave it to him in honour of what he'd done "over there".

Good looking bunker on 4. Tough pin-position back there, especially with the swirling winds. I'd probably play the course in 7-over par....

Peter 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 02:49:00 PM by Peter Pallotta »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 02:57:21 PM »
I reckon a feller could play that whole course with jist'a 7 iron, wedge, putter an rifle to git a few squirels fer supper.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 04:45:21 PM »
Tommy,

A 16 years old Billy Redden portrayed the banjo player in Deliverence.  He did not actually play the banjo.  Tim Burton type cast him playing the banjo in Big Fish if you look closely. 

This has been your Hillbilly moment of the day.

Bogey

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 06:08:41 PM »
Mike,
The question here is do you play the banjo? ;)

Seriously though, big thumbs up on Big Fish. Really enjoyed that movie, as I do most Tim Burton movies. He's a fellow home boy for Forrest and myself. Born in Burbank's, St. Joseph Hospital. He was also raised in Burbank.

Mike_Young

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 08:32:29 PM »
Hillbilly,
You must not have read my opening sentence where I was relating it to Duke's Challenge. That's pretty architectural to me...

The Delieverence thing, well that's architectural too. Using the most strategical fast way to get the Hell out of there if you see a kid like this playing banjo on the porch!

TN,
This banjo player is still in clayton if not mistaken and owns a convenience store.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 01:16:03 AM »
Mike,
He looks like the guy that worked in the gas station that found my cell phone on the ground outside of Madison.....(a good guy!)

Pat Burke

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 01:41:31 AM »
Hillbilly,

If you put a Titleist hat and a Polo shirt on that kids does he remind anyone else of DLIII  ?

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 09:52:33 AM »
My God, your right! ;)

Eric Smith

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 04:26:54 PM »
I think Mr. Blackburn must be living the life of Riley with his Solitude effort.  Mike please put me on the 5 year waiting list to join you for an afternoon stroll through the park.

Is he a superintendent?  Any GCA influences you're aware of?

Thanks for the tour.

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 04:40:59 PM »
I think Mr. Blackburn must be living the life of Riley with his Solitude effort.  Mike please put me on the 5 year waiting list to join you for an afternoon stroll through the park.

Is he a superintendent?  Any GCA influences you're aware of?

Thanks for the tour.

Well then you better prepare yourself for some pig-squealing. The only warning I can give you is to run if they start staring at your mouth.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back