News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Mangilao Golf Club, under rated?
« on: November 22, 2008, 12:00:32 PM »
I played with someone yesterday that said Mangilao is the most under rated golf course in the world.  Has anyone played it?

It is located in Guam and nobody goes there, and the owners like many in Asia don't promote it.

The signature hole, 3 par.

Tom_Doak

Re: Mangilao Golf Club, under rated?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 12:49:18 PM »
Joel:

Is that the course Robin Nelson built?

At the first Archipalooza, he gave a stunning account of building the hole in your picture ... having it washed completely away by a typhoon ... building it again with concrete foundations, etc. ... and having it completely washed away a second time!!

I'm not sure if the hole still exists or not (and if it does, for how long it will remain).

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 01:50:25 PM »
It is by Robin Nelson. 

I'm told it has been washed away 3 times.  They get 200 mph winds there with typhoons and the waves can reach 30 feet high.  Since Guam is under US laws the EPA has made them devise a very sophisticated green with a special drainage system so chemicals do not go into the ocean.

I'm not sure if it's a one hole golf course like Mauna Kea or if other holes are also on the water?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 02:11:47 PM »
Joel:

You should really do the heavy lifting ... I just went to Google Earth to check it out.  The coordinates are 13 deg. 27 min. 33.78 sec. N, and 114 deg. 50 min. 26.87 sec. E.

It looks like the front nine is set dramatically up on the headlands, but only on this hole and the next (a long par-4 or par-5 with a tee shot over the cove) is the ocean in play.

But it looks like the back nine is straightforward, back-and-forth golf between man-made ponds.  Of course, that's just from an aerial photo ... I haven't been within 1000 miles of Guam and I don't know what those holes are looking at.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 04:52:59 PM »
You're correct, I should have researched it a bit more.  Lots of ocean front not utilized?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back