News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Moore II

Course Aerial Dec 3, 2008
« on: December 03, 2008, 01:41:03 PM »
New aerial for today. Very fun little course. Every hole has a view of the water.

Course is located about 25 miles south of a Seminole War battle site.

And in the range of 350 miles away from the site of an engagement that brought the United States into another 19th century war.  (Here, I'll list the 19th century wars for the United States that are valid here: War of 1812, Mexican War, Seminole War, Civil War, Spanish American War)

Have fun with the golf course and historical education today.

A little bit about the course: Opened in 1925 as 9 hole course (original designer not known). Expanded to current 18 holes in 1948 with redesign and new 9 hole design by Dick Wilson. Frequented by Babe Ruth during Yankees spring training and the wind always blows. This one should not be terribly hard to guess, I feel like a good number of members here have played it. Have fun.

Eric Smith

Re: Course Aerial Dec 3, 2008
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 02:28:08 PM »
Hmm, what's it Worth to you for me not to name it?  ;)

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 02:30:51 PM »
My then girlfriend, now wife almost got killed during a huge lightening storm on this course.   :o :o

John Moore II

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 02:31:55 PM »
Hmm, what's it Worth to you for me not to name it?  ;)

Its worth a good bit to me. So, what are the answers to my clues?? Now thats the real question.

My then girlfriend, now wife almost got killed during a huge lightening storm on this course.   :o :o

I can believe that. Storms come up pretty quick in those parts.

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 02:45:57 PM »
So, what are the answers to my clues?? Now thats the real question.

John I haven't a clue as to which war.  Kalen may know the answer after he watches Animal House. ;D

Here's another pic of the course:

John Moore II

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 02:52:23 PM »
So, what are the answers to my clues?? Now thats the real question.

John I haven't a clue as to which war.  Kalen may know the answer after he watches Animal House. ;D

Here's another pic of the course:

How old is that picture? That was before they put in the islands off shore. They now have big information boards on the course talking about how those things are supposed to provide large habitats for birds and other sea creatures.

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 02:54:45 PM »
I don't know, just found it on the web.  Looks as though they're constructing those islands in this pic.

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 03:02:10 PM »
I don't know, just found it on the web.  Looks as though they're constructing those islands in this pic.

Yeah, they are, thats why I was asking. This picture is probably 6-8 years old.

John Moore II

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 08:29:49 PM »
OK, the course is Lake Worth Muni in Florida. Very fun place to play with some fairly interesting holes and a couple of duds. But overall, this is a cool place to play. All holes have a view of the intercoastal waterway and the wind blows all the time.

The answers to my clues:

The first hint was the Battle of the Loxahatchee in Jupiter, Fl.

The second hint was Havana Harbor, the site of the bombing of the USS Maine, which got us into the Spanish American War.

So there, thats all I got for today.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back