News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

Re: Railroad ties in bunkers... New
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2008, 04:25:20 PM »
I want to say that the original 9 that winds up a mountainside and then right back down is a bit older than the "shoehorned" back 9. Interesting course, but they really over cooked it, there is literally NO ROOM on the back 9 for MOST of the holes. It said 1980 on golflink.com
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 08:20:52 PM by Rich Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

James Boon

Re: Railroad ties in bunkers...
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2008, 06:48:50 PM »
Royal West Norfolk (Brancaster) was mentioned earlier on and I just found these pictures I took earlier this year. Not great quality as they were on my cameraphone, but they should give you an idea… I wonder if Mr and Mrs Dye visited Brancaster on their famous trip to Britain which probably inspired their use of railway sleepers???

3rd hole
These railway sleepers and bunkers make for a blind approach shot

4th Hole
Here the sleepers run all around the front of the green

Seen from below with 14th to the right

5th Hole
Blind drive with intimidating bunker on line. To quote fellow GCA’er Ben Stephens its like the Sarlacc I the Great Pit of Cakcoon (that a Star Wars Return of the Jedi reference for those that don’t know)

9th Hole
Not a bunker this time but the tidal marshes instead

10th Hole
One bunker with sod face, one with sleepers, discuss???    ;D

14th Hole
Similar set up to the 3rd only a longer approach shot to a punchbowl green. That’s the 4th to the left.

15th Hole
Large bunker just short of green

17th Hole
Green side bunkers

18th Hole
Large bunker across front of green. I’ve never ducked so fast as when I made a mess of my recovery from here and it shot behind me…

Just realised that’s virtually all the Brancaster pictures I took so maybe I should have done a bit of a photo essay? Maybe I’ll post the rest when I get a moment?

Cheers

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back