News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lance Rieber

Orlando Golf info
« on: November 10, 2008, 06:41:39 PM »
It's been awhile since I have been to Florida.  I will be there for about a week in December and wondering where to play.  I will probably have time for at least one round hopefully two(depends on family).  I will be staying near Celebration and was thinking about Mystic Dunes.  Any advice would be great.  I am not looking for any access from anyone just suggestions.  Thanks in advance.
Lance

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Orlando Golf info
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 08:43:47 PM »
Lance,

I don't know if Sugarloaf Mountain (new Coore and Crenshaw, not far to the west of Orlando) is accessible to outside play; but if so, I'd put it at the top of your to-play list. It's a wonderful course; very much unlike what you'd expect to find in Florida, too.

Check out the recent threads on Sugarloaf. I think they're still on the 1st page, here.

I haven't been there but, Deltona Club -- which I understand is not far from Orlando either... the other way, I think -- looks good as well. It was recently redone by Bobby Weed and Chris Monti.

I must admit, too, that I had fun playing Steve Smyers' Southern Dunes, just south of Disney. It's open to public play.
jeffmingay.com

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 08:46:02 PM »
Lance, I played at Southern Dunes last spring and loved it.  That could be one to consider, IMO.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Lance Rieber

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 09:04:03 PM »
Jeff, thanks for the response.  I would love to get out to Sugarloaf but probably wont unless I go by myself(Brother and Father In-law) and that of course depends on how many brownie points I can pile up with my wife.  I have heard good things about Deltona and also Victoria Hills?  Southern Dunes was another that looked promising. Is Mystic Dunes worth the effort? Pretty close to where we are and has some interesting holes.  I have always wondered about Orlando CC, any thoughts on that?
Thanks
Lance

Carl Nichols

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 09:17:23 PM »
I thought Mystic Dunes had a number of very cool holes (with some crazy greens), and it didn't feel like a typical Florida layout.  In fact, in one stretch, between the brush and the firm conditions, it felt a little bit like Texas.  On the other hand, I thought that there were a few pretty lame holes (e.g., the obligatory waterfall on the par 3), and in some spots the housing encroached pretty close to the course.  All in all I would recommend it over a lot of other Orlando courses that one hears more about.   

John Foley

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 09:53:19 PM »
Lance,

You can not go wrong w/ Southern Dunes. Smyers at his best.

I liked the course at Celebration, had a few very strong par 3's.

Two courses that get no pub on here that are on the north side are Legacy @ Alaqua Lakes & Black Bear. I doubt anyone on here will agree, but they we're solid courses away from the Disney area. I enjoyed them both.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Lance Rieber

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 09:57:53 PM »
John,
funny you should mention Black Bear, I was just looking that up.  I played a mini-tour event there a long time ago and thought at the time was very different from others I had played.   They might be to far north, with family to take care of. Thanks

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 10:37:45 PM »
Mission Inn - El Campeon course - Sort of the public Mountain Lake built in 1926. It is pretty close to Sugarloaf if you want to have a 36 hole day of old and new.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 11:22:42 PM »
Victoria Hills is a trip from where you'll be staying but it's worth it.

I think Sugarloaf has a "member for a day" deal.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Keith Williams

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 08:38:15 AM »
If you are already willing to make the drive all the way to Black Bear, then Mike Dasher's Eagle Dunes would be another pretty good option.  He has also done some pretty good courses much closer to Celebration like Highlands Reserve, North Shore and Providence.

Keith

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 09:23:05 AM »
Jeff, thanks for the response.  I would love to get out to Sugarloaf but probably wont unless I go by myself(Brother and Father In-law) and that of course depends on how many brownie points I can pile up with my wife.  I have heard good things about Deltona and also Victoria Hills?  Southern Dunes was another that looked promising. Is Mystic Dunes worth the effort? Pretty close to where we are and has some interesting holes.  I have always wondered about Orlando CC, any thoughts on that?
Thanks
Lance

Lance,

I've been interested to see Orlando CC (D. Ross), but have not been there. Haven't been to Mystic Dunes or Victoria Hills either, and don't know anything about those courses.

Considering others also recommend Southern Dunes, it should be a good bet. It's a fun course.
jeffmingay.com

tlavin

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 02:41:39 PM »
CC of Orlando is a real treat, IMHO.  It's a Donald Ross design, restored/renovated by Brian Silva, I believe.  It has an old-time Pinehurst feel, with fall off areas around most greens.  The club has been doing a much better job with tree management, especially since the hurricanes a couple years ago. ;D ;D ;D  I don't think it's all that hard to get on the course, either.  The Director of Golf, Bill Sellers, is one of the best guys in the golf business in America and i'm guessing he'd be receptive to gca.com inquiries.

Lance Rieber

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 07:10:12 PM »
Guys, thanks for the info, I think Southern Dunes with my Brother-in-law and Father-in-law and maybe if I get another day Orlando CC or Sugarloaf.  Hopefully it all works out, they both look great.  Any other advice you can think of would be great.
Lance

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back