News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sandy Smith

Old Mac
« on: November 11, 2008, 04:54:14 PM »
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Mark Smolens

Re: Old Mac
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 06:00:39 PM »
Is it 2010 yet?  Can't wait. . .

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 06:10:56 PM »
Did you mean, I hope this works:

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:17:57 PM »
Don't we love how things are changing!

"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Sandy Smith

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 10:50:15 PM »
Sorry that the pics did not work the way I wanted . I can tell you that Old Mac is a very special place . I was very lucky to have Jim Urbina give me and two of my best friends a tour of the course last week .  I am not Bernard Darwin so lets just say that it will be like no other on this side of the Atlantic

Todd Kuspira

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 12:29:44 AM »
I have always thought of you as a west coast version of Herbert Warren Wind!!!

JC Jones

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 08:37:39 AM »
The pictures on this thread and the other thread sure are inspiring.  I cant wait for 2010!!
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

tlavin

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 10:21:02 AM »
It's the rare example of making a perfect place more perfect.

Ryan Chin

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 08:11:57 PM »
smitty - what else did jim urbina have to say about building that course?

Matt Varney

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 09:31:23 PM »
Just a thought for all the guys on GCA.

What about a big GCA golf gathering in Bandon 2010 to play all the courses including Old Mac and we coordinate this thing so that maybe Tom Doak + Jim Urbina could attend and give some design insight into the Old Mac course.

Matt

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 10:30:29 PM »
Matt:

I think there is a plan in the works for a GCA "preview" round of Old Macdonald in late 2009 or early 2010.  However, any preview round will be limited as to the number of people playing ... if the course were really ready for full-on traffic, it would be open.

If it's half as fun as the first preview of the ten holes last week, you're in for a treat.

Tony Petersen

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 01:23:11 AM »
That looks absolutely beautiful... I can only imagine how much FUN Old Mac will add to the Bandon magic... Hoping to get back in May if everything pans out. Last year was a treat, to say the least...

;)

Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 04:43:26 PM »
Matt:

I think there is a plan in the works for a GCA "preview" round of Old Macdonald in late 2009 or early 2010.  However, any preview round will be limited as to the number of people playing ... if the course were really ready for full-on traffic, it would be open.

If it's half as fun as the first preview of the ten holes last week, you're in for a treat.

Tom, how do you think it's going to play and 'feel' compared to NGLA?  Is there as much elevation change?  I don't know, for example, if there could be a tee with as marvelous a view as #17 at NGLA, or a shot as much uphill as #16 there.......

Not that there are many of those anywhere in the world!  ;D

Matt Varney

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 08:28:06 PM »
Tom,

I can't wait put me on the list I will plan to come out for about 4 days and play golf on all the Bandon courses specifically Old MacDonald until my hands hurt from playing so much golf before heading back to Tennessee.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 03:04:03 AM »
A writer in the WSJ just played ten holes at Old Mac.  He said that while NGLA is his favorite golf course -- because it is so much fun -- "With time, Old Macdonald could become as well regarded as the National and may be even more fun to play."

Sandy Smith

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 11:07:03 PM »
Ryan ,

Jim Urbina is one very cool guy . Walking around a few holes at Old Mac he spoke mainly of how they tried to make the place look like it had been there for years . And it does ! He also talked about the different lines a player can take on each hole . He said you will be able to putt a ball from the 1st tee to the 18th green if you want.
The main thing I got from him is how proud he is in being involved on his second course at Bandon . In his words most don't get one chance at such a great site .

I hope he and Doak get at least one more chance there .

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back