News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Goodman

Darwin's White Posts
« on: November 10, 2008, 10:56:27 AM »
The other day I was reading one of Bernard Darwin's golf essays from Country Life (part of the collection Darwin on the Green).  In it he recounts an unnamed course possessing a hole where a "watery ditch" was situated across the width of the fairway, as about the distance in which a good drive from an accomplished player might finish.  The course's Greens Committee, concluding that such a hazard unfairly punished a well-executed shot, erected two white posts at the edge of the ditch; and passed a local rule that any player whose ball went between the posts and into the ditch on his drive could remove the ball and play from behind the ditch without penalty.  Darwin used the occasion to decry the tendency of Greens Committees  to remove perceived "unfairness" from their courses.  Surely most here would agree that Darwin was right.

Or was he?

We don't know enough to know (at least I don't), but could it be that the hole Darwin describes was just poorly laid out?  Are there situations in which constraints in the property, limitations of or errors in the design, or other factors justify extreme "unfairness" being corrected by local rule?  Or is doing so just contrary to the spirit of the game, properly understood?

How do you feel about the local rule at Brora allowing for replay without penalty if one's ball hits the electric fences surrounding the greens, erected to keep out the livestock?  Or a local rule (not at Brora, but I've seen elsewhere) that allows one to replay without penalty if one's ball strikes an encroaching overhead powerline?

Get rid of the sheep?  Reroute away from powerlines?  Or leave up Darwin's white posts? 

JohnV

Re: Darwin's White Posts
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 02:57:25 PM »
Local Rules for unusual man-made items such as electric fences or power lines are the proper use of local rules.  After all, isn't Rule 24 which deals with Obstructions just a local rule to give relief from items such as cart paths or sprinkler heads so extentions such as those above make sense.

Local Rules that eliminate penalties for natural objects such as streams, long fescue grass or the desert are not appropriate.

The basic philosophy is that man-made objects are not something that a player should be required to deal with while dealing with natural hazards is the true test of the game.

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 03:14:38 PM »
You want to hear a good one about overhead powerlines?

My good friend Craig Ammerman, former USGA board member, Rules expert and stickler on the Rules of Golf, while playing in something like New Zealand, hit his tee shot on a par 3 and his shot hit an overhead powerline and then went in the hole for a hole in One. I believe, at that point, the Local Rule said that the shot SHALL be CANCELED and replayed. So, I asked him if he canceled the hole in One and replayed the shot and he bellowed, "HELL NO!"   ;)

Tim Bert

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 03:25:14 PM »
I believe it is the 10th at MPCC Shore that could use a nice pair of those white stakes.

At a minimum your opponent that went online to review all the aerials of the holes should warn you of the blind hazard before you step up and hit a center cut drive while your gracious host has stepped away from the action for a moment.

Not that it would really matter anyway if you were shanking all of your approach shots after nicely struck drives.

If any of that were ever to actually happen. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 04:10:21 PM »
I believe it is the 10th at MPCC Shore that could use a nice pair of those white stakes.

At a minimum your opponent that went online to review all the aerials of the holes should warn you of the blind hazard before you step up and hit a center cut drive while your gracious host has stepped away from the action for a moment.

Not that it would really matter anyway if you were shanking all of your approach shots after nicely struck drives.

If any of that were ever to actually happen. 

Tim,

That was actually the 12th and I did warn you..  ;D

See the aerial clearly shows it.   :P
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 04:17:34 PM by Kalen Braley »

Tim Bert

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 04:25:06 PM »
If saying "I think there is a creek that crosses the fairway" as my ball is in the air and Dave and I are high-fiving the shot constitutes a warning...

You are correct that I tangled the 10th and the 12th in my mind.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 04:33:27 PM »
If saying "I think there is a creek that crosses the fairway" as my ball is in the air and Dave and I are high-fiving the shot constitutes a warning...

You are correct that I tangled the 10th and the 12th in my mind.

Interesting,

I thought the conversation went more like:
You pulled out the driver.
I mentioned there was a creek up there.
You thought you couldn't reach it.
I said something like your probably right, especially they way you've been hitting the ball today.

But if it really was your version, at least I said something....  ;D

And its not like we can ask Dave for his version of the story, his biased opinion can't be trusted as he's still fixated on me in those bunkers at Pajaro.  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back