News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Re: Does Your Course Move The Tee Markers?
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 05:54:39 PM »
   My course rotates the tees front, middle and back of the tee box. Unfortunately, they use this in conjunction with front, middle and back hole locations so I pretty much use the same club year round.
   The architect builds about 40-60 yards of elasticity into each hole with green depths and tee depths, yet the formula straightjackets it in to a 10-15 yard shelf.
   Fortunately they have changed on par 3s and I am working on getting them to change on all holes. In the last couple of months we have dieted the tee blocks to a 5-6 yard width.
  I am trying to get the club to rotate the tee blocks by quarters rather than thirds which would provide 12 setups rather than 3. And I am still trying to get them to shorten holes which have forced carries into a strong wind forecast.
  In the last year we have instituted combo tee for white/blue and white/red. We have about 600 yards difference between blue and white,
and white and red and this should provide more reasonable options for golfers.

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 07:01:51 PM »
My home course has about the most diverse set of tees I have ever come across and they do move them.  However, its the angle which is altered, not so much the yardage. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 08:05:08 PM »
Here's a suggestion to mix things up a bit:

Why don't you play the par4s from the whites and the par5s and par3s from the blues and then ask your local golf ass'n to rate/slope that mixed tee course? Many courses have done this.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Rob Rigg

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 02:08:43 AM »
Every course I have consistently played at, caddied at, or been a member of, has moved the tees on an almost daily basis with little to no correlation with pin placements.

I am amazed that some/many courses do not do this.

Don't you get bored with the same darn course every time you play it? That'd be like groundhog day, especially if you were a member at an 18 vs 36.

Yuck.

You learn something new everyday.  ???

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 06:05:00 AM »
At my club here in England the tee markers are moved daily. It is essential in this particularly wet year. But, then, we do not put in cards for handicap purposes other than in qualifying competitions. As we have taken the 14th out of play - the bank up to the green is so wet it is thoroughly dangerous - and we play a substitute hole I rather imagine that there will be no further handicap qualifying competitions until next spring.

John Burzynski

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 08:29:26 AM »
Mine moves them around a bit every day or two, mostly to save on wear and tear on the turf.  They don't ever move farther than 5-10 yards forward or back.

JSPayne

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 09:03:45 AM »
Being a super, I can say that moving the tees daily, within a few yards within the confines of the dedicated tee box is normal, mainly to prevent excessive wear and tear. Moving a particular set of tees with greater variety can present some problems. Rating is one of them....as Tom stated, more than 25 yards and you're technically not playing a rated course. Another, more for publics, is that it may confuse golfers trying to find markers that aren't on or near their dedicated teeing area. Also, golfer percpetion....it may be fun to move the back markers up with the forward markers to make the hole play differently, but the majority of your men will complain that they don't need to hit from the "ladies' " tees. While sometimes for special tournaments or by request the pro and super may manipulate the teeing set-up, the easiest way to experience variety is to do it yourself.......break away from the path dictated for you and play how you want, for your own enjoyment. There is no law that says you have to play one set of markers, unless you are truly anal about posting a legitimately rated round every time you play. So here are some good options I've seen:

Red, White, and Blue - This one occurs on a course with red, white and blue markers. Choose to play six of each. On a regular round, it will cause you to rethink some holes, but even more fun is to try a member's tournament in this fashion, with teams. It's interesting to see teams stratagize before the round as to which holes they should play from which tees to try and maximize their advantage (i.e. be able to drive over hazards, reach par 5s in two more easily, drive a green on a par 4)

U.S. Open Day or "Monster" Course: This works more easily at privates, but I'm going to try and push for it even at my public here. The idea is near the US Open (it can be anytime really), when people are all fired up about seeing how difficult they'll make it for the pros, have the super and pro work together to set up a set of tees to stretch and tweak the course to as difficult as it can get. At a private I used to work at, they would sometimes move the back blocks to a nearby tee box of a different hole to lengthen it or change the angle, provided there was still a legitimate route to play the hole. This course set-up should also be manipulate in conjuction with difficult or tough tee placements......like pushing the pin far right on the green where a tree hangs over and putting the tees on the far right as well to bring the tree more into play.

Mixed Tee Rating - This is becoming more popular with mainly senior golfers on courses that have limited space to not be able to add new tees. It's been mentioned above but it's mainly making a combo of back tees and regular tees usually, getting it rated and putting it on the scorecard (or making a completely new scorecard for it). I've actually seen some high end privates that have made like 5 or 6 options for members varying across all tees, all rated and with their own scorecards to help them enjoy the course in ways I've mentioned already while still being able to legitimately compete with handicaps.

Lastly, simply play from a different, preferably more forward, set of tees. It may feel demeaning or that you're making things easier on yourself, but trust me, it doesn't always work that way. I just recently played the regular tees on a course I've ALWAYS played the back tees, and I literally had to rethink EVERY hole. The more forward tees changed my teeing club selection on at least half the holes, brought more hazards into play that weren't there before, took driver out of my hand and made me play more exacting layup shots and enabled me to reach longer holes that I had rarely been able to reach before. Not all courses will be like that, but kudos to the architect who can pull it off. It definetely reinvigorated my enjoyment of that course and I'll be back to play from those tees again soon. BTW.....my score wasn't any lower from playing those forward tees.....does that make me a crappy golfer?  ;D ;D ;D
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Max Schechter

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2008, 09:06:38 AM »
Does the 25 yard rule for course handicap systems only pertain to changes in distance or does it also pertain to angles? For example, one of the par threes at the course I play at has two different levels of tees that are a good distance apart, creating very different angles of play. Is there any rule that addresses that?

Mike McGuire

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2008, 09:40:54 AM »

My pro's rationale is that "people complain".  

I have been told this also. It seems my course is controlled by a golfer with a minimal golf IQ that has not golfed outside our city.

We had a golfer complain about this in a letter to the board. I looked up his playing history on our states golf association website. In the past two years he has played exactly two other courses a total of three times.

Eric Morrison

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2008, 11:20:05 AM »
We move them daily to distribute wear...but seeing our tees are very small, it doesn't fall into the 25 yds distance debate with ratings. How do they rate a course that has no tee markers, and the golfer just tees it up where ever they feel like hitting from?
It is what it is.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2008, 11:21:01 AM »
Does the 25 yard rule for course handicap systems only pertain to changes in distance or does it also pertain to angles? For example, one of the par threes at the course I play at has two different levels of tees that are a good distance apart, creating very different angles of play. Is there any rule that addresses that?

Judgment call;  also any course can request different tees to be rated.

TH

John Moore II

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2008, 06:13:51 PM »

Judgment call;  also any course can request different tees to be rated.

TH

I would agree with this. It would depend on how much differently the hole plays. The 5th hole at Tobacco Road has two totally different sets of tees that are about 75 yards from each other, with the hole playing roughly equally long and equally difficult. Like Tom says, get your local or state golf assn to rate a mixed set of tees. At Mid South I want to say we had ratings on 8 different sets of tee markers, with the standard sets, plus mixed colors. These sets weren't completely off the wall though, it was mostly just 9 from the white tees and 9 from the blues or whatever. But if you are a member of a club, mix up the tees on a daily basis. I was a member of a club that was about 6000 yards, par 70. I mixed things up on my own to have the course play only about 100 yards shorter, but par 66. Do something like that with the guys.

Also, if you are playing in a single group, work something out where the person who wins the previous hole gets to decide where to tee from on the next hole. That would shake things up.

Ron Farris

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2008, 08:54:38 PM »

Hope one can make this out. 
A pro friend of mine came up with this for his course.  He did this after visiting Hawktree, I believe.  Supposedly you can mix it up pretty good and play from what distance that floats your boat.  Honestly, I do not think anyone uses it today.
The colors indicate what tee to use on what hole.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2008, 02:50:42 AM »
The courses I play most around here move them around plenty, though some of the un-shared teeboxes are pretty small so there's only so much they can do.  They will occasionally move the back tees up to the next teebox on a random hole or two just for variety, especially on a windy day (though sometimes they'll shorten a hole with the wind rather than shorten one that's against it)

Earlier this year they had a college tournament with some lesser colleges (Division II sized I guess, it wasn't Big Ten) and they played off the yellow (one up from the tips) tees for some reason.  But to keep the par 5s playing tough enough they put the yellow tees back on the black teeboxes which I hadn't ever seen before.  I'm sure that threw off the people who were used to playing those tees and had never been back on those teeboxes before! :)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2008, 08:32:23 AM »
The USGA publishes a chart that adds/substacts course rating and slope increments for approx. every 25 yards either added or subtracted.  Most pro shops should have a copy, it might even be on usga.org. 

Since I typically like to play the Blues (~6600) I'll mix up the tees but try to ensure that the yardage adds up to Blue so I can record the score on Blue.  But if the yardage is different, using the chart I'll put the score in as an Away score with the correct slope & rating.   

Abe Summers

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2008, 09:55:22 AM »
Thanks to JSPayne for some fun ideas for our course!  I'll definitely be suggesting that Red-White-Blue game for some of our member events.

Jason Topp

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2008, 02:57:39 PM »
Our tee markers have been stored away for the year but I played a match with a friend this week where we had the person with the honor choose the spot that we teed off from. 

It added some fun to the round.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2008, 07:52:33 PM »
No its an excuse to be lazy to me. Plus it makes no sense to not move them for turf management reasons

John Moore II

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2008, 10:18:17 PM »
Our tee markers have been stored away for the year but I played a match with a friend this week where we had the person with the honor choose the spot that we teed off from. 

It added some fun to the round.

I mentioned that a few posts ago. As long as you are not posting for handicap, who cares. Or, in all honesty, if you insist on posting a score, just post is as having played from the lowest rated men's tees. That would make it 'fair' and not have you posting a score too low.

Cory Brown

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2008, 03:04:17 PM »
I think that we are making this a bit more complicated than it needs to be.  As long as your total yardage ends up approximately the same than it makes no difference if a few holes play shorter or longer.  When setting up the course if I have a shorter tee box available on a hole, I will frequently use it.  My only other consideration will be that some other holes will have to play a bit longer to offset the changes.  This makes the round more interesting by bringing hazards into play that sometimes aren't, or by allowing players to consider carrying hazards that they otherwise wouldn't be able to.  This will also allow the player to consider using different clubs off of the tee than he normally would, 3-wood instead of driver or vice-versa to put him into his ideal landing area. 

The complaint comes because most golfer abhor having to think while playing golf.  But I believe that in the end most will enjoy their round more by having different options.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2008, 07:11:05 PM »
Tees schmeez, play from where you want, get rid of tee markers.  If you MUST post a score, find the yardage and play from there.  One of the best parts about Ballyneal, imo, besides the beauty and architecture, of course.  Plus not having tee markers to deal with cuts mowing time in half, easy.  And nobody can complain about the tee markers forcing them to hit the ball left or right of the target, because we all know it's the tee markers fault when we're not in the middle of the fairway.
And while we're at it, let's get rid of bunker rakes.  Nobody rakes anyway, it's the maintenance crew's job.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Anthony Gray

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2008, 10:11:07 PM »

The complaint comes because most golfer abhor having to think while playing golf.  But I believe that in the end most will enjoy their round more by having different options.

Cory,

Thank you. This is the same argument I present to my pro.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back