News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

In Praise of David Stone
« on: November 07, 2008, 09:30:05 AM »
I have not had the pleasure of meeting the outstanding superintendent at The Honors Course, but was discussing his family tree with Jeff Huber, the fine superintendent at Golf Club of Tennessee during our round Wednesday.  From Greg Amsler at Desert Mountain to Scott Wicker at Black Creek and so many others, David Stone has mentored and grown several superintendents working today. 

I'd love to see someone construct a family tree of his lineage and also nominate him as a future feature interview.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Anthony Gray

Re: In Praise of David Stone
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 10:00:22 AM »

Living in the Chattanooga area I have been able to play The Honors and Black Creek several times. The greens are always perfect at both courses. I was told by a member at Black Creek that the super plays in the weekend lowball. I love the idea of that.

Anthony

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 10:06:01 AM »
He mentored our super. Ryan Blair at Holston Hills
and Chris Sykes, the super. at Orange Lake in Florida

His presentation of his course in Ooltewah is awe-inspiring

Matt Varney

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 10:37:46 AM »
When you drive into The Honors that is his house on the right with the nice yard and trees.  Mr. Lupton was focused on creating a great golf course working with Pete Dye and then he allowed David Stone to nurture it over the last 25 years and create a natural masterpiece of color and textures around the perfect conditioning of the course.

I bet the list is very long of superintendents that has been mentored by David Stone.  He is one of the best in the business and most importantly he has the respect of his peers.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back