News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

I believe that this was my first Jerry Matthews course. While in Michigan this past weekend, I decided to squeeze in 1 more round before winter sets in. The weather was somewhat terrible, mid 40's with lots of wind. The course was pretty good, better than expected and I would like to play it again in the summer months. The Majestic offers 27 holes, however, we only played the original 18 that traverse through the woods and around Lake Walden itself. One hole is easily visible from Hwy. 23. There were several holes in the woods that were really cool, designed well, quite challenging and pretty fun to play. Two of the par 3's were nearly identical in design with a pond down the right hand side of each, which surprised me. Overall, Mr. Matthews did a nice job making the course look kinda tight in spots, but it didn't seem to play that way. $30 with a cart winter rates.

Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Lester George

Pretty golf course, especially for 30 bucks.  Nice job Jerry.

Lester

Jon Heise

The holes thru the trees were very nice.  Reminded me of Shepherd's Hollow but a little less severe and a lot less frustrating.  The flatter holes were quite generous in the fairways, definitely could tell that the wind gets to those holes.  More scenic that I would have thought.  I cant imagine how greasy those greans could get in the summer, kinda shocked a how quick they were. 

Course had a good mix of holes.  I liked the shorter par 4 on the front, like 312 yds with the big "ampitheater" green, even though I tripled it...  Did seem like there were a lot of bunkers that had been filled in.

Rich is right about the two par 3s that were pretty similar, but I think I found what made them more varied.  I know I hit 6 and 7 irons into both that day, but looking back I remember the one on the back 9 stretched out to like 240 yds, where the other was ~190.

RH, what's on your Michigan Hit-List for 2009?
I still like Greywalls better.

Brent Carlson

Rich,

Nice pictures.  The course has always looked good from US-23. 

Will have to give it a spin in '09.  Does the course get most of its business from the resort?  Leagues?  It never seems very busy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back