News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Mosely

Tidewater?
« on: October 17, 2008, 01:29:07 PM »
I've read nice things about Tidewater and was wondering if anybody has played it?  Is it one of the courses you have to play when you go down to MB area?

Mike Benham

Re: Tidewater?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 02:01:34 PM »
It was for me, but that was 12 years ago so my recollection of the course is non-existant.

I do remember the impressive site of watching the yachts barreling down the inter-coastal heading south for the winter ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jfaspen

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 02:51:29 PM »
There are a couple of very nice waterish fronting holes.. The architecture seemed more dramatic around the marshlands.  Tough finishing 2 holes.. Uphill into the wind par 3 and then a long par 4 where i hit a great 4-iron to the middle of the green to cinch the match over a good friend.

It's a must play if you head to the strand more than once, but you might not hurry back after you see it once.

jf

CJ Carder

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 03:43:53 PM »
It's one of the better courses down there I believe.  Particularly up in North MB.  If someone ever forced me to pick a Top 5 from MB, I believe it'd like be in there, if not #6.  If I remember, I'll post a few pics when I get home.

Rick Sides

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 04:07:52 PM »
Tidewater is pretty nice for the right price.  If the greens fees are $200.00 which they sometimes are, then it's not worth it.  I really liked Tigers Eye, Heathland at Legends, True Blue, and Caledonia.  Tidewater does have some nice holes on the inter-coastal waterway and would be worth playing for about $100-125, but not $ 200.00

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 04:09:36 PM »
My buddy just played there last week and was very disappointed, not in the layout but the conditions were terrible according to him.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Bill Brightly

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 04:33:11 PM »
A must play, especially if you don't care about the greens fees. Superb condition and lots of challenge makes it worth, it IMO

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 07:19:14 PM »
Tidewater is very good, and deserves all of the attention and rankings that it has gotten.  It was a much prettier place years ago before condos were built on every square inch, but it is a great golf course.

All of that said, I rarely go there on my trips to Myrtle; there are better options for the dollar, several mentioned earlier by Rick Sides.  But for a one-time play, it is one of the must-see courses at MB.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mike Mosely

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 07:50:42 PM »
Does anyone have pix?  Analysis of individual holes?

CJ Carder

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 09:52:13 PM »
Here's some of my pics from back in 2005 when I played there.  Admittedly they are not the best photos I've ever taken, and this was really before I paid much attention to specific architecture.

Shortish par 3 3rd:

Long par 4 4th (I always got a kick out of this hole as they market it as the 'Pebble Beach of the East.')

Shortish par 4 #6 maybe?

Par 3, #11 I think:

Bart Bradley

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 07:51:32 AM »
Tidewater is a lot of fun and has good holes, but the routing is crazy.  There are huge long winding cart paths in the course between holes.  It detracts from the overall feel and flow of the place.  Still worth seeing but I think these routing issues drop Tidewater below The Dunes, Caledonia, True Blue, Barefoot Love and probably a few others in MB.

Just my opinion,

Bart

Jim Tang

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 11:37:15 AM »
Tidewater is nice, nothing over the top special.  There are some really nice marsh holes, and some solid par 3's.  I remember the routing was a bit crazy and was disappointed to see some homes/condos not too far off the fairways.

I thought one of the totally underrated courses we played on that trip was The Witch.  Great design, totally isolated with no homes on the course, lots of fun.

This was back in 2001, or so.  I don't know if things have changed since then or not.

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 07:48:46 AM »
It must have been 15 years at least since I played it, but i still remember it as a somewhat minimalistic course with huge distances between many holes.

It might have been ahead of the recent minimalist movement by a few years.  The topography of the land was also a bit surprising for the area.  There was also nice mouvement on a few holes.

However, this beiong said, there is no question in my mind that Caledonia, True Blue and The Dunes would be better investments during a trip to Myrtle Beach.

Jim,

I agree with you, The Witch is great for the experience alone.  Being out into this really thick jungle for most of the back nine is quite special....  The fact I played below 80 for the first time there helps me keep a good feeling for it, though.  I don't know if the course aged very well with all those trees.

YP
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Mike Mosely

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 11:28:39 PM »
Mike B:  did you like it?  Would you play it again?

CJ, this is the second time you've come through with great pix!  You should do some of those photo essays that we have from time to time.  Can you do all 18 from cannon Ridge?  Or close to it?  How about tidewater?

I kind of like the look of it.  Maybe the next time I go down to MB I'll play it on the way down?  As a warm up round...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back