News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Canterbury GC course profile is posted
« on: September 11, 2008, 02:35:57 PM »
Canterbury is that rare Golden Age course that feels like only one architect (and a Golden Age one at that!) has had his mitts on it. Other courses like Scioto, Oak Hills, Oakland Hills, Inverness, etc. that like to host championships ala Canterbury lack a cohesive architectural style throughout their eighteen holes. Unfortunately, because these courses have hosted more events recently, they hog the spotlight more so than Canterbury. This is a great shame but typical of today: course's that add glitz like water hazards (think the insipid pond on the 3rd at Inverness or that weak attempt at incorporating the creek at the par 3 6th at Oak Hill) at great cost to its membership somehow triumph over courses that remain truer to the game's roots like Canterbury. How crazy is that?  >:(

For nearly a decade, Canterbury has worked closely with Bruce Hepner from Renaissance. Not many people know that fact as the work has been slow and steady. Nothing headline grabbing has occurred other than the usual (trees felled, fairways widened back to their bunkers, greens recaptured back to their fill pads, etc.). Importantly, Bruce has done what all great architects should strive to do when working on such a gem: make themselves invisible. If anyone can point to a single specific thing or feature that Bruce has done, I would be shocked. Instead, we are all free to marvel and appreciate Strong's routing over the rolling countryside.

You don't ever feel that Strong got in his own way and tried too hard to dazzle you with his brilliance like some modern architects (and owners). Sadly, I wonder if any modern architect even tries to build a course like this anymore or is the need for eye-candy paramount these days? Canterbury doesn’t seek to be visually dramatic via huge bunkers with crumbling faces, etc.. The holes just flow along with one engaging shot after another with little to disrupt the golfer from the game - there is minimal opportunity to lose a ball and it is a quick walking course with short green to tee distances.

I took the photos for this profile in both the spring and late in the summer. After the second visit, I told my host the more courses I see, the more I appreciate Canterbury. Bruce has commented as well that upon each return, his appreciation continually climbs based on the subtle nuances found throughout this design. There are a few eye-popping moments (fourth tee, fifteenth tee, sixteenth tee) but in general it is just really good golf, one hole after another. Congratulations to Canterbury for their stewardship of this design and also to the LEGENDARY Green Keeper Terry Bonar who will be concluding his forty plus year :o stay here toward the end of next year.

Canterbury hosts the 2009 Senior PGA Championship and thankfully, for a change, the host course will be worthy of any and all attention that it receives.

Cheers,

PS As an added bonus, the mythical monster Tom MacWood (not to worry – this isn’t GolfClubAtlas.com’s version of SI’s swimsuit issue 8)) appears in one or two of the photographs.

Phil Benedict

Re: Canterbury GC course profile is posted
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 02:50:40 PM »
Would a chainsaw improve the course at all?  A lot of trees in those pictures.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 02:51:34 PM »
I had the pleasure to meet Terry - he is one super person - congratulations on 39 years.
He exudes patience and efficiency.

I hope Bruce can continue to help for just as long.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 03:01:17 PM »
I'm mixed about this one. I can't say it really does much for me at first glance.

I would say for Golden Age Cleveland Clubs I would almost take the very underrated (Tilly designed) Lakewood over this.
H.P.S.

Ed Oden

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 03:59:48 PM »
I enjoyed Canterbury very much.  The conditioning was hard to ignore.  Absolutely perfect.  I found the greens deceptively challenging notwithsanding their benign appearance.  I also really liked the way the fairways often seem to just blend right into the low profile greens.  Very understated.  That being said, I felt somewhat of a disconnect between the subtlety of holes 1-14 and the drama of 15-18.  Its almost as if two different design philosophies are competing.  While I like both, I am also not sure they fit together.  Anyone else get this feeling? 

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 04:36:12 PM »
It has been almost twenty years since I saw Canterbury in my college years.  The course looks much better in those photos than I remember it.  If ever in Cleveland I might have to make a return visit. 

Wait, why would I ever go back to Cleveland???? ;D

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 05:08:37 PM »
Am I the only one who is consistently confused, when talk is of courses that are designed by someone else than I previously thought (Canterbury is an H. S. Colt course) and are even located elsewhere (Canterbury is in Kent, not near Cleveland)? Not to speak of mis-spellings like Interlachen or however many places call themselves St. Andrews or Oakmont (try this: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=oakmont+golf).

SCNR ;-)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 05:10:56 PM »
It has been almost twenty years since I saw Canterbury in my college years.  The course looks much better in those photos than I remember it.  If ever in Cleveland I might have to make a return visit. 

Wait, why would I ever go back to Cleveland???? ;D

lots of good golf around there Chris besides Canterbury:  The Country CLub, Kirtland - which is very, VERY good, Sand Ridge...also Pepper Pike,which i haven't played
198 played, only 2 to go!!

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 07:37:19 AM »
Canterbury has a very rich championship heritage. Back in the day the last four holes were a backbreaker. That last three must have been the longest finish in golf and the tricky 15th may have caused more problems than the last three. Everyone knows about Hogan's famous 1-iron at Merion, in the 1946 Open Nelson hit a 4-wood approach on #18 at CCC to within 12 feet. Unforntunately Byron lost in a play off. In the third round his caddie stepped on his ball and he was penalized one stroke. Ran was instructing my caddie to step on my ball in attempt to reinact that famous event.

In looking at Herbert Strong's championship designs Canterbury may be his least controversial, which may explain why it is one of the few to survive more or less intact. Many of his other courses have either been redesigned or lost all together. I think avant garde when I think of Strong. 

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 07:38:51 AM by Tom MacWood »

David Quackenbush

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 05:58:41 PM »
I would echo Ran's overall opinion of Canterbury. 

The first time or two I played the course, it struck me as nice but unspectacular / unexciting.  I think this is because of the lack of dramatic topographical features (with the "wall" at 15 being one exception). 

However, the more I have played it, the more I have enjoyed it.  Highlights for me include:

- Consistency:  I don't see a big difference in the quality of the holes (solid from start to finish - no weak or goofy holes).

- Fairness to All Levels:  Canterbury is a strong test for the best players, but is also fun and fair to higher handicappers (and mid handicappers like myself).  Most greens have openings which allow for run-up shots, and there are very few forced carries or other examples of "penal golf".  It is pretty tough to lose a ball at Canterbury.

- Variety:  In any given round, you will be asked to play a great variety of shots from the tee and on the fairways.  Most holes incorporate some degree of dogleg, and most fairways undulate such that an uneven lie is the norm. 

- Purity to Golf:  Canterbury is a "golf club" with a walking tradition and is very proud of that.  This culture is embodied by longtime caddy master Mike Kiely who runs an excellent caddy program and is an integral and visible part of the experience.  This also ties with Ran's comments about the lack of gimmickry / distractions at the place.  Just a nice, solid, pure golf experience. 

Thanks for posting the course profile,

-David Q. 

Adam Kamm

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 11:48:01 AM »
I would like to echo the sentiments of both Ran & David...

A few points worth expanding upon:

-The turf (particularly fairways) is world class, and fits the golf course nicely.  My home club is a top 20 that has not boasted near the same quality turf in the fairways in the last 25 years.  Though it is pointed out in the review, it cannot be stressed enough w/ the unique driving & approach characteristics how important this is.

-Canterbury forces the golfer to move the ball in both directions, and generally cannot be overpowered.  How many courses can boast the same two claims?

-The course is a walker's delight.

-The tee shot on 1 is a drive that the player "thinks about" in his sleep the night before the round.  As is 4. 

Tip of the cap, Ran...

JLahrman

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 05:50:10 PM »
Interesting pictures, I've never seen the course before.  There look to be an unusual number of bunkers directly behind the greens, does it seem that way when playing?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 07:22:04 PM »
I would guess that most people (not GCAers), but the rank and file golf fan might forget that jack won a PGA there.

Phil McDade

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 08:04:33 PM »
Jay:

Saw him win it in person -- well, not the 4th round, but the 3rd round, when he pretty much established the tournament as his. Bruce Crampton was runner-up, one of four times he finished 2nd in a major to Jack.

My father had taken me several times to the old Cleveland Open, usually played on indifferent tracks. Going to Canterbury, and walking those holes, made me realize for the first time that golf course could be something other than just a way to get from the tee to the hole. A wonderful place, quite under-rated.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 08:15:54 PM »
Given the nature of what the logistics are for hosting the biggest of golf events I have to wonder whether Canterbury is now out of consideration for any US Open or PGA.

Having a Senior PGA is still an accomplishment but the crowds for that event are much smaller and ditto all the other ancillary items that would be needed for a much larger and intense event.

Great to see the info on the course - I have not played there for many years but concur that the finishing trio is quite demanding.

Adam Kamm

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 11:56:27 AM »
Given the nature of what the logistics are for hosting the biggest of golf events I have to wonder whether Canterbury is now out of consideration for any US Open or PGA.

Having a Senior PGA is still an accomplishment but the crowds for that event are much smaller and ditto all the other ancillary items that would be needed for a much larger and intense event.

...but does a club really want to host a major anyhow?  An interesting corollary to a club being able to host a major, having the political might to do so, etc. is whether or not it is in the best interests of the club to do so.

Would the financial considerations for Canterbury in particular really outweigh losing your golf course and the ensuing damage for a significant portion of the golf season?  Unless you live and die by greens fees, I really don't think it's worth it...which is why I think you'll see less of the traditional, elite private clubs hosting majors (and more courses like Chambers Bay, Kohler, perhaps Erin Hills, Torrey Pines).

Rich Goodale

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 02:01:21 PM »
Ran

That brute you were playing with looks like Killer Kowalski.  Did you really tee it up with the great one?

Rich

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 03:06:34 PM »
No. Ran did not golf with Wayne Gretzky.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 08:40:57 AM »
I had the opportunity to play Canterbury last week...what a treat!  The course write-up was pretty spot-on, and really highlighted some intersting aspects of the course.

It was quite interesting...I met quite a few members (as well as the club president) who had all read the course write-up here on GCA, and were very impressed with the knowledge and information it contained.  Several folks even commented that they learned something new about their own club, even though they had been playing it for years!

Unfortunately, with all our recent rain in the Cleveland area we did not catch her on a stellar weather day...but the course drain well and playing conditions held up for the most part, for a cold and blustery Fall day.

There are some super neat holes out there, and the finishing four are as solid as can be.  I made a miraculous birdie on 15 after hitting my approach shot wide right, hitting a tree which kicked the ball back onto the green.  I then sunk a 15 footer for the bird.

Facility work continues there, as the club prepares the ground for next year's Senior PGA Championship.  They also intend to "re-rout" the course for the Championship putting some of the middle-back-nine holes at the beginning of the round (poor logistics and TV viewing back there, apparently)...but the finishing four holes will remain as-is.

On-course work with Bruce Hepner continues to progress, and the membership is keenly aware of what is happeneing out there.  Tree management was difficult at first, but with time and positive results the kudos are coming in more frequently now.

I look forward to a return trip out there to discover more of what the course has to offer up.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back