News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Hossegor - Simpson or Morrison?
« on: September 24, 2008, 09:06:51 AM »
Golf d'Hossegor in the South West of France... near Biarritz...

Most websites I've read have attributed this course to John Morrison... (the golf club's own site states it was designed by Arnaud Massey and JIM Morrison so maybe can't be trusted).

However, I notice the Chantilly site says that amongst other Tom Simpson courses in France is Golf d'Hossegor... A quick flick to the Tom Simpson Society pages also lists Hossegor as having Simpson involvement... And seeing as it came in to being around the same time as Chiberta, this obviously is feasible...

Can anyone straighten this up?... And then if they can, do they fancy educating the wrong side?...

Thomas MacWood

Re: Hossegor - Simpson or Morrison?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 09:35:42 AM »
Ally
The Simpson attribution originates from Cornish & Whitten, but the course was actually designed by Colt, Alison & Morrison. It is quite possible A.Massy was involved too, i don't know. The course opened in the late 20s or early 30s, and AM was around at that time.

Was the course damaged during WWII? If so, its possible Simpson did some restoration work, but I have no knowledge of it.

Ulrich Mayring

Re: Hossegor - Simpson or Morrison?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 07:32:49 PM »
I believe it opened in 1930. Morrison did another French course at about the same time called Saint-Cloud jaune (yellow). Their first course (verte / green) was done in 1913 by Colt.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back