News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

The Ocean Course is Really Good
« on: September 15, 2008, 12:15:22 PM »
I am surprised at how good the Ocean Course is.  I'm not sure what I expected, but it was never on my list of courses I dreamed of seeing one day.  It should have been.

I played three rounds and was lucky to get both an East wind (the prevailing direction) and a light west breeze and found the course played just as well in both directions.  I found it far superior to any Dye course I have played (probably around 10) and, on first reaction, would list it among my favorite courses anywhere.  To try and draw distinctions between Sand Hills, Pacific Dunes, Royal Melbourne West, Ballybunion, the Old Course, Royal Dornoch and the Ocean Course comes down to splitting hairs.  Each course provides an inspiring and memorable experience.

The setting is incredible.  The par 3’s and 5’s are among the best anywhere.  The course has a terrific natural and raw look to it.  The bunkers are great fun, with every possible lie from buried to hardpan.  The green surrounds allow every sort of play from a flop to a putter. 

The course improperly has a reputation as a brute.  Although, like any course, it can be brutal, most likely the player has imposed that experience on himself by playing tees significantly longer than he should or the weather was extremely difficult that day.  I saw a 24 handicap have the best 9 holes of his life.  I saw a 6 handicap shoot a match play 74 with some concessions.  In general I think the Ocean Course played easier for our group with wide ranging skills than some of the other, more traditional courses at the resort.

The greenside hazards were less severe than I expected and both the greens and the fairways provide a wide range of appropriate lines one can take for a shot. 

I had a terrific "rabbit and hare" match on my final round in which I hit it 250 off the tee but was shaky with iron play and my opponent hit it 190 down the middle.

A great example of  design combining with setting combining with a good match occurred on the 16th – a par five of 500 yards or so that played with a helping right to left breeze.  Coming into the hole, I was one up but giving shots on 16 and 18. I suspected I needed to either win or at least tie 16 to win the match.  I also suspected my opponent would make 5.  I was right on both counts.

(Pictures are from Ran’s profile). 

My opponent hit it 190 down the middle twice and hit a 13 wood short and right of the green.  He chipped up and made par – net birdie.

I killed a drive on an aggressive line that was slightly too aggressive.  It wound up in a waste bunker 200 yards from the pin.  Nonetheless, my lie was good and I had a great chance to put it on the large green.  With a right to left wind, a right to left slope and a bunker that must be 10-15 feet deep left of the green, my caddie wisely gave me a line well right of the green to accommodate the wind and my draw. 

I flushed it right on line but it held against the wind and smacked into a dune to the right of the green.  When I failed to get it up and down after an unplayable lie, I lost the hole. 

I consider that sort of hole golf at its finest.  I tempted fate and got burned twice.  My opponent executed beautifully accepting his limitations.  We both had a great chance for success despite very different skills. 

Add in the setting, the competition and a a great caddie (ask for Nick) and golf does not get better.

Jon Heise

Re: The Ocean Course is Really Good
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 12:38:56 PM »
Very nice review!

This is another course that I had very high expectations of, and those expectations were definitely exceed.

The setting does not really need any more explanation.  Amazing.  I also agree about the reputation of difficulty.  Picking the wrong tees can make this course extremely difficult, maybe more than a lot of other courses I've played.  What I found though is that a lot of the holes you had some high risk/reward options if you attacked some of those slight doglegs or other aggresive lines.  Like any course, if you take control of your ball, you should do just fine.

I cant wait to get down there again.
I still like Greywalls better.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 01:32:15 PM »
Count me in the camp of really liking TOC (The Ocean Course, not The Old Course) but also thinking it's one of the hardest around. 

If it's true that (most?) links courses play (too?) easy with no wind, then I would propose that TOC would rank amongst the harderst of them (someone who's played more links should start a "hardest links when there is no wind" thread).  I'll nominate TOC as the hardest and the original TOC as the easiest. 

Lester George

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 07:41:45 PM »
One of the best ever.

Lester

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 07:54:55 PM »
Jason--

I'm glad you enjoyed it...how did you play???(In reference to your previous topic.)

The pictures do not do it justice...it really is a fantastic golf course. Many speak of the Ocean holes (14th is the best IMO) but the front nine is great too...the front nine par-3's are very underrated!
H.P.S.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 09:33:23 PM »
I have played The Ocean Course twice and it is one of the best courses you will play anywhere.  It doesn't get the respect I think it deserves when comparing other top destination resort courses (Pinehurst, Whistling Straits, Bandon) and it should.  In my opinion the back 9 is one of the best set of 9 holes I think I've played and the course fits so well into the surroundings.  If it is possible to be typically highly ranked on most lists, yet underated at the same time, then the Ocean Course is a good example of such.

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 11:08:59 PM »
Jason--

I'm glad you enjoyed it...how did you play???(In reference to your previous topic.)

The pictures do not do it justice...it really is a fantastic golf course. Many speak of the Ocean holes (14th is the best IMO) but the front nine is great too...the front nine par-3's are very underrated!

Pat --

I played ok, in particular I hit it well off the tee which allows one to enjoy a great course as much as any factor. 

As to the pictures - Ran's write up does a terrific job of describing the course.  The pictures vary.

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 11:31:10 AM »
Jason--

A good tee ball will certainly help on TOC!

There is nothing wrong with Ran's pictures...I was only saying that the place is so awesome that narrowing the sight down in a picture while still capturing the essence of the place is hard to do!
H.P.S.

Doug Wright

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 11:55:30 AM »
Jason,

Thanks for the review. The Ocean Course is a fine golf course. I didn't find it to be as punitive as it's often perceived. There generally is quite a bit of width off the tee, and if you're driving the ball decently it's playable.  I think having played a few Pete Dye courses that similarly feature visually intimidating looks made playing The Ocean Course less difficult for me. Pete tries to get in your head with the intimidating looks like the nasty waste bunkering, bulkheads, semiblind shots etc. but in the end the bark is worse than the bite.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Sean Leary

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 12:06:59 PM »
I need to go play it again. I played it in very severe winds and playing a cut,it was a long day. I don't remember as much as I should.

Eric Smith

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 12:14:57 PM »
In the winter of 1992 I went to play The Ocean Course not long after the Ryder Cup.  I was 23 and hadn't cared to notice much at all about golf architecture.  So I'm introduced to it in a huge way on a blustery gray winter day and after one play I couldn't help but think I'd played the greatest course on the planet - but it felt more like I'd played golf on the moon!  Having played Pinehurst #2 and Spyglass around that same time, I had some pretty good points of reference to compare it to, but no others really at all. 

On that same trip, I DID get to play the newly opened Heathland course designed by Tom Doak and man I really loved that course - nearly as much as I did Kiawah.

The last time I played Kiawah was in 1995 and I've played a few more note worthy courses in the years since.  My favorites list is nowhere near as deep as many of you on here but I've yet to play the course to bump The Ocean Course from my personal #1 played.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 12:39:06 PM by Eric Smith »

TX Golf

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 12:25:02 PM »
Is it a requirement to stay at the hotel if you want to play the Ocean Course??

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 01:38:38 PM »
Doug: The Ocean Course is designed with the wind in mind so if it isn't blowing, the course seems far more benign than it actually is.  Play it in 20 MPH wind conditions and I think you will find that it is very punitive and the wide fairways are there for a reason. This is especially true in the beginning on holes 2 through 5 where it can seem to be nearly impossible to hit the fairway/green.  I don't mean to imply that it gets easy from there, but the question is more whether you've survived without making some really big numbers. 

Doug Wright

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 02:25:27 PM »
Doug: The Ocean Course is designed with the wind in mind so if it isn't blowing, the course seems far more benign than it actually is.  Play it in 20 MPH wind conditions and I think you will find that it is very punitive and the wide fairways are there for a reason. This is especially true in the beginning on holes 2 through 5 where it can seem to be nearly impossible to hit the fairway/green.  I don't mean to imply that it gets easy from there, but the question is more whether you've survived without making some really big numbers. 

Jerry it was blowing enough (particularly on the back 9) when I played it. Agree the width is important given the conditions; otherwise it could turn into a Carnoustie-Open like experience real quick.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 03:26:31 PM »
Is it a requirement to stay at the hotel if you want to play the Ocean Course??

Nope.  You don't even have to stay on the resort.  We accept walkups.  Price is a bit higher (i.e. off season $254 vs. $215 if you stay on the resort -- peak season $350 vs. $298 if you stay on the resort.  It's even less expensive if you play it on a golf package).

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 03:46:22 PM »
For those who haven't played it, you'll be able to see every inch of it very soon on the web.  There's a new web golf game coming out called the World Golf Tour (WGT.com) where you can play it on your home/office computer at no cost or special software.  It was really interesting on how they got the images.  They shot every hole in 10 yard squares, i.e. they had a chord that they stretched out the width of the  fairway/rough/bunkers/marshes, etc.  They had about a dozen photographers with GPS-equipted cameras stand along the chord every ten yards.  They each shot the hole forward and back, then moved 10 yards up the course and shot again.  Over the course of about 2 months (depending upon the weather) they shot the entire course.

In short, every inch of the course comes into play.  I'll let y'all know when the game goes live -- sometime in the next couple of weeks...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 03:49:17 PM by Mike Vegis @ Kiawah »

TX Golf

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 07:57:46 PM »
Mike,

A couple question for you.

I am lucky enough to be spending some time at the Masters this upcoming April. I originally wanted to get down to Sawgrass for a round but supposedly they are limiting rounds at that time due to the PLAYERS. I was looking on the internet and Kiawah seems much closer to Augusta than Ponte Vedra. Is this the case?? Also, we are planning on playing rounds Saturday evening and Sunday morning (weekend before the masters..... and the ocean course both times). Would you recommend this or is it a better idea to play one of the other courses? I have a feeling that I am going to want another go at it after the first round. Thanks.

Robert
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 08:32:27 PM by Robert Warren »

PCCraig

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 09:06:15 PM »
Mike--

That sounds really cool!

Please keep myself and everyone else posted.

Pat
H.P.S.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
Mike,

A couple question for you.

I am lucky enough to be spending some time at the Masters this upcoming April. I originally wanted to get down to Sawgrass for a round but supposedly they are limiting rounds at that time due to the PLAYERS. I was looking on the internet and Kiawah seems much closer to Augusta than Ponte Vedra. Is this the case?? Also, we are planning on playing rounds Saturday evening and Sunday morning (weekend before the masters..... and the ocean course both times). Would you recommend this or is it a better idea to play one of the other courses? I have a feeling that I am going to want another go at it after the first round. Thanks.

Robert

We're only 3 hours from Augusta (straight shot down I-20 to Columbia then onto I-26 to Charleston, then 17 South toward Savannah for about 5 miles then left on Main Road about 14 miles and you're here.

Can't beat The Ocean Course for back-to-back rounds.  However, you'll need to make tee times early.  Our peak golf seasons are mid-March to June 1 and from mid-September to Thansgiving.  We're slammed then  ;D so I would make tee times as early as possible...

JNC Lyon

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 12:03:57 PM »
16 on The Ocean Course is indeed a truly great par five.  It provides tons of options for all golfers while still being very difficult.  I haven't played it in a while but I remember not liking that left bunker.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 06:21:41 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts and review Jason.  I will be there myself in December and looking forward to my second time around TOC!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back