News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Tom Morris of St Andrews ‘The Colossus of Golf’ 1821 - 1908
« on: September 12, 2008, 11:12:50 AM »
The new book is now out, and I received my copy today. It is full of prints, photos and history. It is just fantastic and the authors David Malcolm & Peter E Crabtree have done a magnificent job. Just awesome

My understanding is that only the ‘Keeper of the Green’ copies are left with all special editions now sold out. But if interested see web site http://www.rhodmcewan.com/tom_morris/index.htm

RJ_Daley

Re: Tom Morris of St Andrews ‘The Colossus of Golf’ 1821 - 1908
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 01:57:17 PM »
It looks like an impressive book for collectors.   I'm afraid at those prices, I might have to wait for the abriged paperback version...  ::) :o ;D

It seems like a book many of the prestigeous private clubs that have quality golf libraries would acquire.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 02:03:02 PM »
It looks like an impressive book for collectors.   I'm afraid at those prices, I might have to wait for the abriged paperback version...  ::) :o ;D

It seems like a book many of the prestigeous private clubs that have quality golf libraries would acquire.

i agree:  too bad its so expensive
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »
Melvyn
Great that you have been able to acquire one - did you need to take out a mortgage? ;)
This is an incredibly expensive book and I think I worked out if they sold all the copies they would gross around half a million dollars. They may be some of the few golf historian authors to ever make money from their project.
I hope its worth it.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 05:19:03 PM »
yes too expensive.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 05:38:35 PM »
It’s a great book, around 300 prints/photos, best book yet on the early days of golf based around Old Tom

In My Humble Opinion  - it’s worth it, but then I would say that as my name is mentioned – fame at last.

David & Peter have taken many years researching the book and Old Tom, plus persuaded members of my family to part with many details & photos.
I am very impressed with the finished product. 

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 06:08:56 PM »
Melvyn, can we ask for a few crumbs from the rich man's table? ;)

What revelations have you discovered so far?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 10:53:55 PM »
I look forward to reading it. I understand the authors devoted decades to the project.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 08:14:24 AM »
Melvyn, how often do you pay £395 ($750) for a book?
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

BCrosby

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 09:26:20 AM »
Even I, a complete sucker for golf books, pulled up short when I saw the price.

I look forward to reading it on loan from a library that can afford to buy it.

Bob

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 09:42:59 AM »
Adrain

I did not get the 'Keeper of the Green' book at £395.00 but the one with all the pictures/plates and details.

IMHO its a great book, as important to me as Old Tom's Bible, the Foulis sideboard - made for Old Tom's daughter Elizabeth, the Championship Belt and many other items.  I can't put a price on any of the items, they are the history of my family.   

Trust you understand.

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 06:38:35 PM »
I had been looking forward to the release of this book as I am a fan of OTM.  I knew it would be expensive, but I didn't realize body limbs would be the price.  Like Bob, I am a sucker for golf books, but this is not gonna hit my shelf.  I probably would have bought it 10 years ago when I bought books as hobby, but only if they were cheap or if I knew I could sell them on for hard cash, but those days are over.  I sold my collection and will never start a new one. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Chris Kane

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 06:47:44 PM »
I can't understand why they didn't release an edition at a normal price (£30-60), to be sold in bookshops.  It would sell well, too. 

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 07:13:39 PM »
I can't understand what you guys who are quibbling over the price are on about. I'd much rather have a 'Colossus' anyday than a 'Confidential' at about the same cost. (No offence meant, TD!)

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 08:31:07 PM »
24 hour have passed and I am still enjoying the book, the early prints and pictures are great. :)

Whats all this about price, many use a GPS or Range Finder, so if you can waste your money on those items which you just don't need to play or enjoy golf, why not spend a little more and get a good book. ;)

To those who need to have batteries to enjoy yourselves, something must be missing in your life.  :D :D :D :D :D :D

PS It took Old Tom 3 days to travel to Lahinch to modify the course in 1894
not bad for a guy in his early 70's, yet he stopped in Dublin for a game before returning home. Hope I'm still around and able to play when I'm 70.

Chris Kane

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 08:43:31 PM »
Whats all this about price, many use a GPS or Range Finder, so if you can waste your money on those items which you just don't need to play or enjoy golf, why not spend a little more and get a good book. ;)

To those who need to have batteries to enjoy yourselves, something must be missing in your life.  :D :D :D :D :D :D

Surely you jest?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back