News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Annual Get Together at Bandon Dunes?
« on: October 03, 2008, 06:08:44 PM »
I want to gauge interest in having an annual GCA gathering at Bandon Dunes.

I know there are several regional get together events every year, but to me, Bandon Dunes and its courses are the closest thing to GCA Nirvana I know, and any excuse to get myself down there seems like a worthwhile effort.

It doesn't have to be every year, it could be every two years. And we can decide on the best time of the year to visit.

It would be a very neat way for us to meet each other and talk hours and hours of architecture after the rounds.

How many of you would be interested?

Will MacEwen

Re: Annual Get Together at Bandon Dunes?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 06:12:19 PM »
I usually go to Bandon every year with some old friends (except this year when everyone's wife is pregnant).  If my annual trip was a no go, I would be interested in joining the GCA group.

I would like to maintain creative control over all descriptions of my swing and performance however.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 06:13:02 PM »
Richard:  different smaller groups do that as it is.  The planning and organizing required for a large group would be massive.   Are you willing to take that on?  

If someone can set up a large meeting, hell yeah I'd be interested in attending.  I just figure most of us who want to get there do so anyway.

TH

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 06:54:57 PM »
Richard,

Just wait till 2010 and there will be such an ebb and flow of Golfweek/GCA guys at Bandon that the moon may never leave the Oregon coast.  If you don't mind that they are primarily over 45 and white you should try to cozy up and tag along.

Richard Choi

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 08:14:56 PM »
I will be happy to arrange the trip. It would be kind of fun. As long as I have a really long lead time (6 months +), I should be able to arrange a big group outing. But then again, I am guessing it would probably be a group of 10 to 20 at the most.

Seems to me an annual trip for the folks here is just natural thing to do.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 08:48:35 PM »
Richard, this is something that I would be interested in as well.

Bart Bradley

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 09:41:35 PM »

I would love to attend and think that a first stab at it would be great and depending on how it goes, whether it became annual or semi-annual would depend on success.

Has an alternative flight into Coos Bay / North Bend surfaced since Horizon have pulled out? I am aware of the flights from San Francisco that are in the works but is there an alternative from Portland or Seattle? Driving from Portland is, as I recall 4 or 5 hours?

As rates are much lower in the winter months and up to the end of April, a March or April event would seem to be favoured?

Bob Jenkins

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 09:48:12 PM »
Richard,
   I am in a group that goes to Bandon every year the weekend before Thanksgiving, when the rates bottom out. I am not the organizer, thankfully. The group has grown from 8 to 16 and has to make reservations 16 months in advance to get the first tee times for replay rights. A one night room deposit goes for all goes on the organizer's credit card.

Bob J,
  There were plans for Horizon to pull the plug on the PDX-NBO route, but the City of Portland ponied up local tax payer money to keep Horizon jobs in a Portland hub. Presumeadly, that means flights are still a go.

Bob and All,
2008 green fees -
http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/green_fees.cfm

« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:52:47 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 04:03:40 PM »
I would be interested if it was with Nov.-Mar. rates

Richard Choi

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 05:05:05 PM »
Based on rates, temperature, and precipitation I think March-April would be my choice.

But I will definitely go with the majority choice even for Nov.

I am guessing I will make a reservation for 8 people and see how many will sign up for it.

I would like to plan it as a 3 day weekend. 36 holes on Sat and Sun with 18 on Monday.

I will call in and see what they have available.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 12:56:31 AM »
I would be interested, especially if you held it when the 4th course opens. I bet you would get a good GCA turnout for that one!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 01:21:16 AM »
Richard,

This is a great idea - and I would agree that this should be an annual pilgrimage.

As an Oregonian there is no excuse not to be a part of this - it should be great "craic" as the people in the homeland would say.

TX Golf

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 02:11:11 AM »
Richard,

Any time in early to mid January.... SIGN ME UP. Sounds like a great trip.

Robert

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 06:11:37 AM »
     I am currently reading "Dream Golf".  This is definately a trip I would be interested in if the timing and price is good.  For those that have been there in November - March, what do you get for weather?

Sean

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 09:37:55 AM »
Bette and I would be interested once "Old McDonald" opens.

We have been there multiple times and just love the place.

As older folks with multiple surgeries and cold, wet weather aches and pains, we are relatively warm weather dependent.

If you get any interest in summer dates, we would be happy to attend.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 12:37:36 PM »
   I'm in!!! Just tell me when. Wouldn't it be great to have a walk through of the new course with the architects while we were there. Pure Heaven.

Tom Yost

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 10:56:02 AM »
I know two groups that have annual trips to Bandon.  One group is eight guys and the other is twelve.  Both have long waiting lists to get in.  :'(

That said, I would love to join a group for a Bandon trip.  Obviously, a lot of factors would have to fall into place for me to make it, but...  put me down as a definite maybe!

Tom

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 12:00:57 PM »

I know there are several regional get together events every year, but to me, Bandon Dunes and its courses are the closest thing to GCA Nirvana I know, and any excuse to get myself down there seems like a worthwhile effort.

It doesn't have to be every year, it could be every two years. And we can decide on the best time of the year to visit.

It would be a very neat way for us to meet each other and talk hours and hours of architecture after the rounds.

Richard,

I talked to an events coordinater at Bandon and the trip is very feasable. All we need is a date and  number of people. There may also be a special treat which she asked me not to print. Please contact me.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 12:16:55 PM »

Richard,

I talked to an events coordinater at Bandon and the trip is very feasable. All we need is a date and  number of people. There may also be a special treat which she asked me not to print. Please contact me.

Based on the significance of this "special treat" I'm in.

Sorry to be so "conditional" but I've gone to Bandon twice a year for the last four years.  "Some" of the allure has worn away, I know I know, must be rough.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Richard Choi

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 07:19:23 PM »
Anthony, I got your PM. I will give you a call this week.

A special treat would be great :)

Looks like we will have enough for 2 to 4 groups based on when we schedule it.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 10:25:32 PM »
Not sure what the verdict should be on "when" or how helpful this info would be because I am unsure whether it "dumps" in Bandon or if it is just a steady drizzle most of the day, but anyways . . .

The range of monthly temps for Bandon is not that huge - 54/38 in Jan - 64/49 in June - up to 68/50 in August/Sept and back down to 54/38 for Dec.

The precip is where you get a pretty big range:

Jan, Nov, Dec - Over 9 inches per mo
Feb, March - 7 to 8 inches per mo
April, May, Oct - 3 to 5 inches per mo
June, July, August, Sept - Under 2 inches per mo

Does this align with experience people have had at Bandon at different times of year?  ???

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 11:38:08 PM »
Richard,
Based on 36 holes a day walking, even with caddies, I am a non-starter.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 08:27:32 AM »
   According to the people in Bandon, July August  and September are the best months. July is windy and a little wet.  September is the best but the most popular so we need to book early if September is the choice.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back