News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael

design features..
« on: September 09, 2008, 11:27:26 AM »
I have question for the designers here, and I hope it isn't too stupid.

I play mostly in the New England area and a lot of the courses were built in the late 1800's, first part of the 1900's..were the stone walls on these courses just leftovers from the original fields? and were just too time consuming to move?

I also see the same thing in the wonderful pictures of courses that are in the U.K..

so..I guess my question would be are stone walls ever considered in designing newer courses? or would it be that they are folded in if already existing on the property? I have to admit a tree lined stone wall running along a outermost fairway is a pleasant sight to me.

Lester George

Re: design features..
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 11:32:12 AM »
I like to include them in my routings if they already exist.  Occasionally I will build them for functional purposes but try to make them look like they were already there. 

The New England walls are definitely pretty to us southeners.

Lester

Scott Witter

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 12:03:53 PM »
Michael:

There have been many architects, ODG's and modern day architects who have incorporated them in to their work, from what I have seen they really fit in and are quite pleasing to the eye.  IMO, I think they should be incorporated into play and maintained as a link to the past and as an indigenous landscape feature.  They can with careful planning during routing become key features in design--a great bonus.  A few years ago, I found a couple stone walls that were buried which crossed in front of a set of tees at about 50 yards.  In our master plan, I recommended that they be unearthed so in view looking back from the FW to the tees, you would see the stone.  The members loved the idea.  I believe Tom Doak kept some stone wall remnents in his project in Scotland, The Renaissance Club.

Heck, there have been architects who kept old stone walls from buildings right in the playing corridor--hey a hazard is a hazard, no one ever said it had to be a bunker, a tree, water, a ditch, etc., if it works with the design and it is pleasing to see, why not keep it.  It really isn't much different than keeping boulders, large rock outcrops and such that we see out west, or across New England.  If I remember, I think Shaker Hills near Stowe, Mass has outcroppings in play on many holes.  Blackstone National also has many such features--I think they can be very effective, but they can also be over used, like anything else that looks cool. 8)

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 01:02:57 PM »
Mike- If they are there I would try to incorporate them, I think a wall to divide to holes running together could be quite good, which could evolve from the old field division patterns. They are quite nice to drive over too, I guess the cutest of all is at North Berwick.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Michael

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 01:10:02 PM »
Mike- If they are there I would try to incorporate them, I think a wall to divide to holes running together could be quite good, which could evolve from the old field division patterns. They are quite nice to drive over too, I guess the cutest of all is at North Berwick.

I play on a quirky 9 hole Munni close to my home that was done in 1890, the par 3 third..193.. plays over a stonewall and trees at about 75-90 yards out which kind of tricks the mind with the club selection.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back