News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Rigg

I played Brasada Ranch this weekend which is a fairly new Jacobsen/Hardy layout in Powell Butte, OR. The course is part of the Jeld Wen community of the same name which consists of large homes on lots, smaller cabins and rental cabins. Some other members have commented on it so I will not go into hole by hole detail.

I took some pictures to support the post but they were not so good - apologies. I need a real camera.

Needless to say, this is one of the most amazing settings that I have ever seen for a golf course - especially one located inland.

While playing the course I could not help thinking about whether the architects created something that was harmonious with the setting?

Should a GCA have some obligation to produce a great layout in a great setting? Or at least not get in the way of the setting by certain choices in course creation such as bunkering?

This could have been a nice resort course that blended with the environment, but it is not.

Positives of the setting:
1) Panoramic views of the Cascades from almost every hole
2) located in High Desert - course is routed through Canyons and Ridges

Positives of Course:
1) The architects did take advantage of providing the golfer with spectacular views from almost every tee
2) Meticulously maintained
3) Very limited use of water (only in play on #18)
4) #7 (without the first set of bunkers), #8 and #9 are a solid run of holes

Potential drawbacks of Course:
1) It is a resort course so the layout could have been more challenging
2) Cart golf - probably a 12 mile loop which is impossible to walk (per #1 above)
3) Formulaic - almost always an elevated tee shot to fairway or green on par 3s (great for views, redundant for playing more than once in a while)
4) Very poor use of bunkering on some holes (with novel below for reference)
- I think someone called out the white sand before - something darker would have blended much better with the setting
- On #2 there are 5 bunkers that stare you in the face off the 2 back tees but do not seem to serve a purpose.
- On #3 - one right and left would have probably sufficed but instead there are three left which creates an eyesore effect and only serves to distract from the mountains in the backdrop
- The green on #3 also has a "mickey mouse" bunker which surely could have been done better
- #5 has two bunkers right of the green, I would argue that the second serves no purpose
- #7 has the "bunkers in front of the tee" epidemic occurring on the left side
- #10 has three bunkers right in the layup zone that probably would have looked better if set up as a "waste area". The three bunkers right of the green are two too many
- #12 - Par 3 with 5 bunkers - one back right and four mid to front left
- #13 has two bloody huge bunkers on the right and then two more by the green - why so big? You can usually find your ball in the desert just off the course so why not let it play like that?
- #14 - Big Mickey Mouse bunker left off the tee, only 215 yards from the tips and 170 from the blacks
- #15 - They might as well have lined the entire hole, right and left, with bunkers - This is a some what drivable par 4 that looks like a mine field
#17 - Long par 3 with 2 bunkers left - one so far forward you wonder why they bothered
#18 - Eyesore bunker left off the tee in range from the tee - but why so big with the high desert there as well?

I wonder if the architects produced exactly what the owners wanted - a nice resort layout in an amazing setting that is fairly enjoyable to play with lots of in your face bunkers to catch errant shots, but little character beyond that provided by the macro environment.

Michael Dugger

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Rob Rigg

Re: Brasada Ranch - An opportunity lost or built to the owner's request?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 11:34:49 PM »
That's the camera I need!!!!

Thanks for taking pics of the eyesore bunkers on #2 . . .  ;D

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 01:04:06 AM »
Rob:

Be curious to know if you have played other Bend area courses and where you see Brasada Ranch fitting in -- either above, below or somewhere in the middle.

Be curious to see how you would rate it against the likes of Sunriver, Blue River, Aspen Lakes, even Tetherow if you have played it.

Sounds like you presented a "take it or leave it" assessment with more emphasis on the latter. Fair statement on my part or a stretch of what you wrote?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 01:28:51 AM »
Matt,
Just yesterday I pencilled out the top 10 in the Bend -Redmond-Sisters -Prineville area. It was T-10 with Bend Country Club, I don;t see how it could be rated better than 8th.
1-Tetherow
2 Pronghorn - Fazio
3 Crosswater
4 Pronghorn - Nicklaus
5 Broken Top
6 Juniper
7 Sunriver- Woodlands (Jones)
8 Aspen Lakes
9 Black Butte-Big Meadow

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 01:48:02 AM »
Peter:

Thanks.

Be curious to see if someone has played Moorpark Golf Club (27 holes) in the LA area -- another Jacobsen / Hardy layout and how the two compare.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 01:55:35 AM »
Hi Matt,

I have played Tetherow (really enjoyed it, can't wait to play it again, and again) and Aspen Lakes several times (liked it - been a few years). Both, in my opinion, are superior to Brasada. Tetherow by a country mile in all respects and Aspen Lakes by a bit as I thought the architecture was more interesting and the course more challenging.

The thing that kills me about Brasada is that the setting is incredible and I think the land available for the course was really good, so the outcome was a disappointment, maybe even a shame.

Thus, your comment on my analysis is accurate. Brasada is a decent round of cart golf with gorgeous views of the Cascades, but I would pay the extra $50 to get on Tetherow any day - or probably save $50 for Aspen Lakes.

I really want to check out #2 and #3 on Pete's list.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back