News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Metal Spikes - It's time for the PGA Tour to ban them!
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 02:02:12 AM »
Wow!  I am amazed at the folks who insist soft spikes don't leave the greens in better condition.  In my experience, its not even close.  Greens are in much better condition now than when I took the game back up some 17 years ago, especially around the cupping areas.  However, I don't care what the PGA does.  What concern is it of mine?

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 02:04:44 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 08:31:17 AM »
 The players of the PGA Tour have the opportunity to play some of the great venues of the US and they should have the decency and respect to treat the courses and the property as the members do.  Not only are the greens better but the facilities have been built with soft spikes in mind and tracking through the clubhouse with metal spikes damages those facilities.  Sometimes you just have to step back and appreciate what you have and respect others.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 09:14:36 AM »
Jerry,

maybe the club should just insist on the players changing their golf shoes before entering the clubhouse like it used to be.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 11:16:29 AM »
For what it's worth - our course record was a kid from North Carolinia playing an AJGA event who wore sneakers.

John Moore II

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 02:52:36 PM »
For what it's worth - our course record was a kid from North Carolinia playing an AJGA event who wore sneakers.

I saw a guy at one of my old clubs shoot 66 with no shoes, then he went out 3 days later and shot 62 with shoes on.

John Burzynski

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 04:16:48 PM »
One thing I do miss (maybe most of all) in golf is the 'old' sound of golf.  Metal spikes clicking on the sidewalk on the walk up to the first tee or on the clubhouse floor after a round.  The sound of persimmon hitting a ball struck on the screws.  Both are sounds gone forever from the game.

I am not ready to say that the game is worse without those sounds, just that I miss those two sounds.    At 40 I am too young to wax nostalgic and talk about the good old days...

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 04:30:28 PM »
John,

not being the tallest of people what I miss is that extra half inch in height I used to have.  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back