News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Fowler

The Best Holes I've Ever Routed
« on: September 02, 2008, 12:34:59 AM »
Do any of you route your own "fun" holes to spice up the round, create some new challenge, or just get you back to the clubhouse as it's getting dark?  I have a habit of looking for my own "Championship Tees" and playing the shots that seem exciting.  Here are some of my favorites:

Ballyneal: 4th green (just front left) to 7th green.  This is a short, blind par 3 that is very nasty.  I'm very proud of my 2 on this hole.

Hanover CC: 5th green to 2nd green.  This hole is about 500 yards uphill and is a very challenging 2-2.5 shotter.

Torrey Pines South: 6th tee to 7th green.  This is a demanding one shotter, all carry, over the canyon.  It's in the 260-270 range but is not as impossible as it seems.

also Torrey South: behind 14 green to 16th green.  Good risk reward 1-1.5 shotter.  Green is definitely reachable but slightly risky.

Yale GC: 6th green to 5th green.  The longer you can leave yourself into the "short" hole green the more exciting.  I just love my template holes.

Do you guys have any favorites?

Rick Shefchik

Re: The Best Holes I've Ever Routed
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:39:50 AM »
Anthony,

Are you talking about Hanover, N.H.? As I recall, the fifth green is quite elevated, and playing back to #2 would require a downhill layup drive short of the ravine, then a big draw for a second shot. Seems like the total yardage would be more than 500 yds.

If it's another Hanover C.C. -- or if they've renovated the Hanover course I'm familiar with beyond recognition in the past 10 years -- then nevermind.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tim Bert

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 12:46:20 AM »
I've mentioned this on another thread, but Pacific Dunes #10 tee to Bandon Dunes #6 green is a nice par 3 late in the day.

Anthony Fowler

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 12:53:52 AM »
Anthony,

Are you talking about Hanover, N.H.? As I recall, the fifth green is quite elevated, and playing back to #2 would require a downhill layup drive short of the ravine, then a big draw for a second shot. Seems like the total yardage would be more than 500 yds.

If it's another Hanover C.C. -- or if they've renovated the Hanover course I'm familiar with beyond recognition in the past 10 years -- then nevermind.

Sound like you're thinking of the 6th green to the 2nd green.  The 5th is the downhill par 3 around 190.  The hole you're describing might be fun as well but I've never played that one.  You'd have to hit is under 220 off the tee and then you'd have about 550 in from there; quite a beast!

Pat Burke

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 02:11:13 AM »
Deal GC  (NJ)    17 tee to 18 green  pretty fun par 5

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 03:18:58 AM »
2nd tee at Spyglass hit back to the 1st green.  ABout a 220 yard drop-shot par 3.

Also, now that I think about it, a pretty good Nader too!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 03:22:04 AM by Richard Farnsworth Goodale »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back