News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Quaker Ridge GC (Tillinghast) in Scarsdale, NY
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2009, 04:45:52 PM »
The references I posted about QR's history was sent to me by Dr. Bill Quirin, the MGA Historian and author of " Golf Clubs of the Metropolitan Gof Association" published in the late 1980s from which the material was taken.

The book is no longer in publication. Does anyone have it?

Here is his interview:

http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/bill-quirin

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 12:13:00 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Howard Riefs

« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2012, 12:51:39 PM »
Nice write-up on the restoration at Quaker Ridge accompanied by a video of Gil Hanse talking about his restoration thought process:

http://www.linksmagazine.com/golf_courses/links100-course-of-the-month-quaker-ridge

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2012, 02:25:40 PM »
The references I posted about QR's history was sent to me by Dr. Bill Quirin, the MGA Historian and author of " Golf Clubs of the Metropolitan Gof Association" published in the late 1980s from which the material was taken.

The book is no longer in publication. Does anyone have it?

Steve,

I have the book and it's terrific.

Quaker Ridge is vastly improved thanks to the work Gil Hanse performed.

Other than the Sebonack, NGLA, Shinnecock and Southampton connection, you'd be hard pressed to find four clubs so close to each other that are the equal of WFW, WFE, Quaker Ridge and Fenway.

Jaeger,

How can you not see the similarity in the architecture of those four courses ?
Please tell me that at least you see the similarity between WFW and WFE  ;D

Here is his interview:

http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/bill-quirin

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2012, 06:31:55 AM »
Patrick - Are you calling me out on a 2009 quote?!

How many similarities do you think there are? The 3 properties are so incredibly different, WF is flat and was blasted/pushed up all over the place, the appropriately named Quaker RIDGE has nice movement throughout the property, and then there is Fenway which is built into the side of a hill.

Why should we try to force some similarities between the 3 rather than celebrate their differences, that is what makes them probably the best 4-some of course outside of the Hamptons and Bandon.

... I'm not sure I would use the words "VASTLY IMPROVED"... It is certainly improved, but by no means would it say go from an 8 to a 9 on Tom's scale, which I think "VASTLY" hints at. Gil has done a very good job, but on a golf course already so good, doesn't the law of diminishing returns come into play unless you go all Pinehurst #2 on it?!... I just think its starting to get a lot more attention than it used to with the way the membership is changing and the work that Gil has done.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2012, 10:49:27 PM »
Patrick - Are you calling me out on a 2009 quote?!

How many similarities do you think there are? The 3 properties are so incredibly different, WF is flat and was blasted/pushed up all over the place, the appropriately named Quaker RIDGE has nice movement throughout the property, and then there is Fenway which is built into the side of a hill.

And you think that prevents there from being any similarities in their general styles ? ,

The bunkers, tees and putting surfaces and surrounds ?

Why should we try to force some similarities between the 3 rather than celebrate their differences, that is what makes them probably the best 4-some of course outside of the Hamptons and Bandon.

Jaeger,

The land form is almost irrelevant, it's the similarities in the architectural style that bind them

... I'm not sure I would use the words "VASTLY IMPROVED"... It is certainly improved, but by no means would it say go from an 8 to a 9 on Tom's scale, which I think "VASTLY" hints at. Gil has done a very good job, but on a golf course already so good, doesn't the law of diminishing returns come into play unless you go all Pinehurst #2 on it?!... I just think its starting to get a lot more attention than it used to with the way the membership is changing and the work that Gil has done.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2012, 10:45:52 AM »
Patrick - I think we generally disagree on this. To say that the landforms are almost irrelevant in anyones architecture is something I cannot agree with. Isn't one of the main beliefs on what made Tillinghast such a great architect that his style was constantly evolving and changing to fit each site, yet somehow you can always seem that get the general feeling that you are on one of his courses?.. In that way, we are both correct, we are just zeroing in on the opposite side of the point.

You want some similarities?! ...

Green sites are heavily bunkered: Off the top of my head I can only think of 1 hole on WFW, WFE and QR that doesn't have sand on both sides. (WFW 18, WFE 17 and QR 6... the original QR 18 didn't have a bunker right, but Gil has not been given the go ahead to remove it)

Heavily contoured elevated greens

Green contours that continue out into a relate to the approaches (Tilly's #1 design concept in my mind)

QR #15 and WFW #15 share the same template

QR #14 and Fenway #3 share the same template

The use of specimen trees both visually and strategically

... Yes there are similarities, but I still contend that it is the landscapes and differences that forces him to apply his theories in different ways that makes these 4 so good in my mind.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back