News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Curry

Re: Up and back fairway cut
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2008, 07:05:51 AM »
Bump.  I find the new search works much better.

Cheers,
Steve

Ian Dalzell

« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2008, 10:58:08 AM »
Tom
I belive Aronimink actually cuts 1-way, that is it looks like they mow towards the golfer, thus making it look dark from the tee, and if you look back from the green it is all light.  I'm not sure if this is intentional, making the ball not run out as much on the tee shot, but I found it very interesting on my last trip up there this year.  It made the fairways stand out dramatically, and as you eluded to, John does an absolute fantasic job with the conditioning up there at AGC.

We are considering going to "2-Tone" fairways at Hidden Creek directly after our Fall aeration after Labor Day, so I would be intersted in your findings, maybe you could email me off line.  It seems that the 2-Tone look would be in keeping with the style of course Bill & Ben have given us, and we are eager to implmement it to see how it affects the "look" of the course.  We keep the fairways fairly tight, so I don't imagine you are going to have prefernetial lies based on which side you find yourself on, it is just a look we are trying to achieve, to further "age" the course, in keeping with many of the greats of the North-East that are mentioned above.

I was up at GM just last month, and it seems as though you have already started the process?

Thanks Tom.

Ian

TEPaul

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2008, 11:52:31 AM »
Ian:

Certainly that "up and back" (light and dark) fairway cut represents a return to the look of an era. It was the result of those really wide tractor drawn mowers back then.

I don't think it makes much difference about "rollout" which side you hit but if golfers actually think that I think it's basically an added psyhcological dimension (even if it probably isn't very true).

One thing I believe really helps though is with that cut pattern (up and back) as opposed to that fussy looking diagonal or diamond pattern is with the former you don't have those mowers turning all the time in the rough and first cut and consequently it's a lot less stressful to the grass in those areas. Tires turning is apparently a lot more damaging than most realize.

Josh Smith

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2008, 02:54:48 PM »
Anyone have any idea where the other similar thread was that provides plenty of ammunition against striping fairways, pretty sure it was within the last year.  I continue looking, but to no avail.

Thanks

Kyle Harris

Re:Up and back fairway cut
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2008, 07:24:07 PM »
Tommy,

This may sound strange, but I think we do. Is it bad for a memory to be this bad at 31? You obviously know how to get to Scott, and I can assure you that we have done it in the fairly recent past if we are not doing it right now so he'll have some input. Maybe even input as to why we are no longer doing it (if that is the case, that is). ??? :-\ ;D

We never did it the summer I was there. But I've played HVCC where it's been done.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2008, 10:11:23 PM »
I'm not sure I like the look as much as some others here, but I'm sold on the efficiency/economy aspects that have been cited.

It sure beats the checkerboard, that's for certain.

Interesting to see an earlier mention of Schuylkill CC on this thread....I passed there the other day and just wanted to reiterate that it's a course worth seeing....especially given the maintenance meld and internal attempts at recreating a wonderful heritage of traditional golf.

Steve Curry

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2008, 11:10:41 AM »
Josh,

These are the possible threads??

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,30993.0.html

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,31181.0.html

Wow I don't think I am finding it.

Sorry,
Steve

Josh Smith

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2008, 02:05:19 PM »
Josh,

These are the possible threads??

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,30993.0.html

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,31181.0.html

Wow I don't think I am finding it.

Sorry,
Steve

Steve thanks for the help, I was tipped off yesterday that the thread I am looking for might be one about a new course in Washington State with photos.  Anyone know which one that was?

Thanks

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2008, 04:52:12 PM »
We have a new super this year and one of the first things he did was implement the up and back cut.  It's absolutely fantastic - much less visual noise and it's better for the turf.  The old crosshatch pattern was almost 'burned in' and it took weeks to really get rid of it.

Up and back really gave us a classc look - not bad for a 4-5 year old golf club :)

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2008, 05:34:24 PM »
Tom,

This is hard to explain in writ but I'll try.

To mitigate wear and tear on the approaches, the approach mowers can mow out to meet the up and down cut of the fairway mower in three different lengths (between the green and the fairway mower cut).

So for each hole that you have an approach and fairway cut that meet, there are three different versions of the approach cut: one that is short, one that is medium, and one that is long in length. You can mark these with small paint dots in the rough.

You switch up the versions every day, so one day one you would be mowing to the short version on hole one, the medium version on hole two, and the long version on hole three and so on. On day two you switch to the medium version on hole one, the long version on hole two, and the short version on hole three.

The paint dots can be set up so that you tell the fairway and approach guys to use the white, the red, or the blue dot today, and they are painted in the field accordingly.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back