News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Curry

Re: Battling Fountains and Flowers
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 06:13:04 AM »
I'm with Meg, "Save that junk for miniature golf" and the money saved should go to the golf course.

Steve

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 06:29:25 AM »
I don' think you need fountains for weed control..  They have these 'gurgling' things that do the same thing without the "Magic Water" type water show.

And I kinda like the wildflowers in the "wild" areas.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 07:27:40 AM »
I have a soft spot for a the occasional flowerbed on a golf course.  When I was growing up, the Pro and Super of our local CC agreed to let me play the CC (which was much nicer than our crappy muni course I had to play) a few days a week if I took care of the flowerbeds on the golf course.  Coming from a large family with modest means, this was the only way I could play the better course in town that all of the other junior golfers played.  For the record, most of the flowerbeds were around the proshop and clubhouse, and not on the course. 

Cheers,
Brad
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:08:28 AM by Brad Swanson »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 08:49:00 AM »
Nothing would make me happier than if everything didn't piss me off.
Hope they are reading in Nashville.  This would be a great title for a country song.

Jason Topp

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
I have never played with anyone male or female who said to me, "look at those wonderful flowers on the course".

We've discussed bunkers, grass conditions, green conditions, tee box conditions, etc, etc.

Is there anyone who actually looks forward to seeing flowers on the course or notice them adding to the experience in any way, shape, or form?

Kalen - in fairness, I think there are a lot of people at my club that notice and enjoy flowers much more than the fantastic playing conditions our superintendant maintains.

This thread reminds me that I used to make fun of country club members that had a fantastic course and great playing companions but nonetheless managed to find some way to complain.

Perhaps I am falling into that trap. 

I will strive to take advantage of Kavanaugh's attempt to save me. 

It may be too late. 

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 11:31:13 AM »
There's always the possibility that a few formalized flowering patches in addition to a few wildflower-sown 'naturalized' areas might just lessen the member's 'need' to see the actual playing surfaces kept so lush and green.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jed Peters

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 01:25:05 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with this.

Hehehehehe....

MargaretC

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 01:52:59 PM »

And I kinda like the wildflowers in the "wild" areas.

Dan:

Certainly, I don't have a problem with the wild flowers you describe.  I just don't care for the "manicured" overly-landscaped-look of some golf courses.  Although I have never played Nemacolin, I understand Joe Hardy has statuary on, I guess, Mystic Rock.  To each his own, but I also don't care for fountains and statues on a golf course.

I haven't played Ballyneal, but from the photos I have seen posted on this site, that is the golf course "look" that I love.

Meg 

If someone wants such plantings at an entrance, around the clubhouse, that's fine, but not on the golf course

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 02:06:07 PM »
I view golf as a trip through nature rather than a trip through a garden. 

Jason, I find this statement puzzling, as I wonder, what are great expanses of monocultured bent or bermuda grass if not a "garden?"  I have chosen to live in places where I have little or no lawn so I don't have to maintain it, and my wife does all the gardening that's done in our house.  There's a guy in our neighborhood who built a "Prairie-style" house and surrounded it with a "Prairie."  Some would say it's a weed-infested eyesore, others a garden.  I enjoy the iconoclasm of it, and it must be low-maintenance. 

Let's be real--with the amounts of fertilizer, water, and manual and machine work applied to a golf course, it is surely a walk in a garden, not a "trip through nature."

I personally pay little attention to flowers on the golf course but am occasionally gratified by my wife's observation and enjoyment of them.  Having said that, were I a member of a club that was spending large amounts of money on flowers and fountains, I would object.  Sort of like yelling out loud that I object to Congress, I'm sure I would be disappointed in the results. 

Jason Topp

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 03:14:05 PM »
I view golf as a trip through nature rather than a trip through a garden. 

Jason, I find this statement puzzling, as I wonder, what are great expanses of monocultured bent or bermuda grass if not a "garden?"  I have chosen to live in places where I have little or no lawn so I don't have to maintain it, and my wife does all the gardening that's done in our house.  There's a guy in our neighborhood who built a "Prairie-style" house and surrounded it with a "Prairie."  Some would say it's a weed-infested eyesore, others a garden.  I enjoy the iconoclasm of it, and it must be low-maintenance. 

Let's be real--with the amounts of fertilizer, water, and manual and machine work applied to a golf course, it is surely a walk in a garden, not a "trip through nature."

Eric:

Definitely a fair observation.  Nonetheless, when playing a links course, a minimalist modern course or many of the best, it feels as much as possible like you are playing a course that is a part of the land rather than imposed upon it.   I think courses should strive for that look. 

To me gardens and fountains stand out like a powder blue leisure suit at a black tie dinner.   

Kalen Braley

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 04:28:11 PM »
Jason,

C'mon now...this is pure class!!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2008, 04:54:15 PM »
Kalen

Which one is you?  ;)

I believe there in a course in LA that has a very large Claret Jug with Old Tom's head on the top. Is it a fountain, if not who would do something like that?

I can’t remember the name of the course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back