News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan_Callahan

Boston Globe article on Oakland Hill's long par 3s
« on: August 07, 2008, 09:31:30 AM »
I thought this was a pretty thoughtful piece on the importance of variety in par 3s:

http://www.boston.com/sports/golf/articles/2008/08/07/discussed_at_length/?page=1

ANTHONYPIOPPI

Re: Boston Globe article on Oakland Hill's long par 3s
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 10:46:01 AM »
Good quotes from Brad Faxon, Adam Scott and Mickelson about varying the distances.

Anthony

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 11:26:09 AM »
(deleted)

Chuck Brown

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 12:10:45 PM »
These are all valid thoughts, but the simple fact is that not all of those back tees will be used, at least I don't think so...

During practice rounds on Tuesday and Wednesday, most players were also hitting practice shots from forward positions on 9 and 17.  So this may be much ado about nothing.

Personally, I am no fan of the extreme length on 9 and 17; 17 in particular.  (9 is a very, very tough green for sure but at least it is designed to hold long shots.)  On 13, I think the real defense to that hole ought to be hole placement, not tee length.  I think the new tee at 13 was unneccessary. 

Nobody has mentioned 3.  Nothing much has been done to 3, and it offers a birdie chance for a well-struck shot, or else a heroic putt.  The 3rd hole generally quarters into the prevailing wind, so it is important to take that into considration.

But still, I don't understand any serious fear-mongering.  OHCC and the PGA have lots of forward tee options on 9 and 17.  Shame on them, and not the golf course, if they misplace the tees.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 12:20:25 PM »
I should add something, for the clever golf researchers here at GCA.  Some years ago, I think in the lead-up to one of the majors at Oakland Hills in the 70's or 80's, someone recreated, shot-by-shot, Hogan's immortal 67 in the final round of the 1951 U.S. Open.  The story, done as a sidebar for the Detroit Free Press if I recall correctly, had all of Hogan's club selections.  I've seen a yellowed copy of it taped to a locker door in the OHCC locker room.

And what it showed was that Hogan routinely used 1-, 2-, 3- or 4-iron in approaches to par 4's and for his tee shots on 9 and 17.  I seem to recall that Hogan hit driver, four-wood to to the par-4 14th.  I could be wrong.

Does anybody know of a link to that story?

Chuck Brown

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 04:30:56 PM »
I am not at the course today, but I have just gotten confirmation that the tee is up on the 9th hole.  They are not using the back-most tee.  Basically, they are using a tee that is the same as was used almost 30 years ago, in 1979.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 07:52:11 PM »
Good article and one I generally agree with.

A trend I've been seeing lately is that courses used for majors which previously had one par-3 around 160-170 were having those holes brought up to 200 yards so that they were the same as the other par-3s. #13 at Oakland Hills is a good example.

Sounds like they're doing the same thing at Olympic with #8 and #15 and others.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 11:49:44 PM »
The reason par-3's are becoming longer is that all of the two- and three-shot holes have become effectively shorter due to equipment (or the players' conditioning or whatever else you want to ascribe it to).  A Tour pro will hit a 200-yard approach shot on a 200-yard par-3 ... or for his second shot to a 530-yard par five.

Don't you think we should see them hit at least 2-3 200-yard approach shots in a round?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 11:59:21 PM »
The reason par-3's are becoming longer is that all of the two- and three-shot holes have become effectively shorter due to equipment (or the players' conditioning or whatever else you want to ascribe it to).  A Tour pro will hit a 200-yard approach shot on a 200-yard par-3 ... or for his second shot to a 530-yard par five.

Don't you think we should see them hit at least 2-3 200-yard approach shots in a round?

You mean without building 550 yard par 4s or 700 yard par 5's

is this not the very reason Harbour Town can be put forth as a great course... because it tests the best at less than 7000 yards.

And who really cares what club is hit from the tee... was a good test in 1985 and remains a good test today... changes in that 20+ year period??????

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 01:25:41 AM »
A trend I've been seeing lately is that courses used for majors which previously had one par-3 around 160-170 were having those holes brought up to 200 yards so that they were the same as the other par-3s. #13 at Oakland Hills is a good example.

Sounds like they're doing the same thing at Olympic with #8 and #15 and others.

Matt Rose:  I don't understand your point re:  Olympic.  The length of #15 isn't changing,  and #8 will not be playing at 200 yds.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Matthew Rose

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 04:54:33 AM »

I had heard that 50 yards were being added to #8, which would make it around 190. I had also heard that #15 was being lengthened as well.... obviously that is not the case.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 02:49:28 PM »
Of note is that the 7th on The Ocean Course, once tipping out at 207, will measure a stunning 140-145 from the back tees when the redesign is carried out. And it will be a major challenge.

You do not have to add yardage to make it better or more challenging.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back