News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas MacWood

A five month truce and a return of Tommy N
« on: July 31, 2008, 11:24:55 PM »
"In the last week we enjoyed some of the best discusions this website has had in a long while....the last 24-hours have not been so good. Why is that and what can be done to get things back on track?

I've heard many suggestions over the years, but none of them have really helped. I think more drastic measures are in line. My suggestion is to kick me, Moriarty, TEP and Wayne off the site. Personally, I think a break would do us all good."

Tom MacWood:

I've never agreed with you on much on this website but that's a suggestion I would definitely get with you on and agree with you on. It seems like the two pair of us have some truly entrenched philosophical differences on a lot of things and not just things to do with architecture. It's more like things to do with golf clubs and other things out there interested in this subject.

It's really gotten tiring with you two for Wayne and I on here and I'm pretty certain you two feel the same about Wayne and me.

I actually have some respect for you in at least one area but with Moriarty it's less than zero. If he asked for this I wouldn't even consider it but if you want to seriously consider asking Ran to take us four off of here, I'm in. 

TE
I'm in too. All we need is David and Wayne to agree. I don't anticipate a problem with either man. Perhaps we stop our posts this Sunday at midnight, and stay away through the end of the year. I think you will be thanking me later.

I would also like to see Tommy be asked to return to the site immediately. This site is not the same without him.

Jordan Wall

Re: A five month truce and a return of Tommy N
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 11:48:32 PM »
I would love to see Tommy come back, I miss that guy.

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 11:53:17 PM »
I would love to see Tommy back as well, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 11:55:07 PM »
Tom:

I've had second thoughts about all four of us leaving this site for five months or whatever, particularly after reading some of the responses of that other thread you started on this subject.

I mean if Ran Morrissett feels like throwing all of us or any of us off of here for a time I'm fine with that and I do realize I sure would get more done and I sure do have a lot to do that gets delayed by my time on here. You are right about that.

But really we are all free agents and are probably on here for our own quite different reasons. I guess I'm just not comfortable with you making a call or even a request like this and certainly after the things you've said since coming back on here about never wanting to do a thing to help me or any of us here. To me to state things like that as a permanent consideration is bullshit.

If you want to leave you should. It's pretty bizarre to me that you even came back on here anyway since I was one who asked you offline to come back a number of times this year and you claimed you never would and then the last time I asked you and you said you never would, practically the next day you were back again.

Wayne should just do whatever he wants. As I just IMed you, though, I think David Moriarty really should consider a hiatus from this site. I mean almost every post is just another outrageous and super-long diatribe against either Wayne or me that doesn't even have to do with architecture. And this jag he's on about the USGA A.A. has definitely got to stop on his part. That is basically another part of our lives and he has no right or reason to get on that on here. That has just got to stop. You have never remotely done anything like that. To be honest with you I'm concerned about him as I just told you on the IM. I definitely don't want to see something bad happen with him.

As for TommyN, I stay in touch with him and he says he's just happier off of this website. Just let him be.

You do whatever you want. Good Luck.

DMoriarty

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 01:53:02 AM »
Tom MacWood,

As I said, I'd be glad to take one for the site, and disappear for as long as these two do as well.   The website would be better for it, at least in the short run.   

As I explained on the other thread, the dilemma is whether to leave regardless of these jokers, as of course they will not voluntarily go.   I mean let's face it, TEPaul couldn't stop on a bet, and he is apparently come to that realization.

I just hate backing down to bullies, even if only to keep the peace.

Tom Paul,

While I appreciate your concern, I am just fine.  I understand your confusion . . . you have obviously never had to deal with anyone who, when hit, actually hits back.   But perhaps you should be a bit more concerned with your own well-being.

As for my comments on Archives committee, of course it is my business and the business of this website.   I'll address it on the other thread.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 08:52:03 AM »
We need the uncensored Tommy back. There's no better source for establishing whose full of IT.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim Franklin

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 09:01:27 AM »
I never understood why you guys couldn't just get along. I mean it is only golf for crying out loud. Life is too short for petty disputes. The sooner you guys realize this the better your lives will be. Just one man's opinion.

Golf is a great game...enjoy.
Mr Hurricane

Jed Peters

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 09:11:56 AM »
This is so incredibly childish and lame, it's funny.

John Kirk

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 10:17:22 AM »
I don't keep in touch with Tommy Naccarato regularly.  However, I believe Tommy was getting overly involved in these sorts of day-to-day personnel issues, and it was unhealthy for him.  Tommy has his own life, and he was too busy trying to be an ombudsman for the site.

A couple of our guys stay in touch with him, and I understand he is doing well.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 12:59:47 PM »
I think that between the Dodgers and Funny Car drag racing, Tommy has all the outlets he needs at this time.  I admire that Tommy made the hard decision to stay away for his own peace of mind and well being.  When the obsession to post one's feelings and demonstrate one's all encompassing knowledge of this subject exceeds your desire to be sociable, collegial and charitable towards others, it becomes debilitating mentally if not physically and also drags the group psyche down, IMHO. 

I also hope Tommy will drop in on GCA.com at a time of his own choosing, when it is less of a drama and remains a place to post insightful things 'related' to GCA...  Even if it is a comparison of how certain wines are like architects...  ;) ;D 8)

We can all use a good laugh and the occasional sting of a witty observation or comment or criticism.  There are ways to disagree and be strong in your opinions and ideas.  But, nasty comment laced personal feuds at the end of the day are the responsibility of the combatants, and they need to define it for themselves and take whatever affirmative steps they determine are best for them to restore decorum and civility or wallow in their own mess. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 01:18:36 PM »
Why leave the site?

Howzabout just controlling one's own impulse to slam and belittle other people, just because their outlook is different than your own? Why not attempt to understand that you are on different sides of an issue, ackowledge that you're not going to browbeat anyone into changing their mind, and accept the fact that you might either actually be wrong about something, or that other people in good conscience might just think you are out of your mind (and might even want to mention it) ?
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 03:08:40 PM »
If Tommy was/is going to come back, I'm guessing it won't be this week.

I can only imagine how many people he called/texted yesterday after the Dodgers got Manny Ramierez.

The one time I played with Tommy was late in the '06 baseball season and the Dodgers were playing a day game. It seemed like he called for updates after every hole.

It was a great time.

DMoriarty

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 03:20:30 PM »

I can only imagine how many people he called/texted yesterday after the Dodgers got Manny Ramierez.

The one time I played with Tommy was late in the '06 baseball season and the Dodgers were playing a day game. It seemed like he called for updates after every hole.

It was a great time.

He only called for updates after every hole?  That's it?  The Dodgers must have not been playing that day.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 03:25:11 PM »

It was a great time.

Not to be contrarian but that actually sounds extremely annoying, and perhaps in the DB category!

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 03:35:10 PM »
He wasn't a DB at all. Tommy is so excited about everything. Him hitting a great shot, you hitting a great shot, the way a green complex looks from the tee, the Dodgers.

He was a guy having a great time on a nice late afternoon. I was talking about the Twins, he was talking about the Dodgers. It was cool.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back