News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Ran Morrissett

Has the process of selecting an architect changed?
« on: November 09, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
From the 1920s til today, has the process of selecting an architect for a particular project changed? If not, should it have?

Scott Kraus

Has the process of selecting an architect changed?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 1999, 07:00:00 PM »
An architect should be  selected because he presents the best design coupled with "value- for-money" economics (design fee, construction costs, ongoing maintenance, etc). In today's market, I appreciate this logic rarely applies in high profile deals.But, in answer to your question, I don't know - how was a George Thomas selected in the 1920s? Today, it is a hollow question of image, substance is a distant second.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Has the process of selecting an architect changed?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 03:56:32 PM »
How important is an architect's skill in working through local politics today?  Here in Pennsylvania, you have townships, county, state agencies, and federal agencies like the Army Corps of Engineers.

It's a wonder anything gets done anymore.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 04:05:44 PM »
How important is an architect's skill in working through local politics today?  Here in Pennsylvania, you have townships, county, state agencies, and federal agencies like the Army Corps of Engineers.

It's a wonder anything gets done anymore.
Dan,

I was in the Royal Engineers (5 years) if that would help...  :D

Seriously..., it helps to be involved early on in a project so that it becomes working with the local politics rather than against...
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »
Brian - in the USA, the Army Corps of Engineers has a say over what you can/can't do around things as smal as creeks.  Amazingly, they're considered a 'navigable waterway of the United States.' 

I'm all for waterland preservation, but they tend to be way over the top...  And an architect today needs to know how to handle them.

And you have the folks that think that golf is evil.  Isn't there a Japanese movement seeking to ban all new golf course construction?

The golden agers had it easy!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 07:40:52 PM »
Does the fact that they were previously a famous tour pro, i.e., Nicklaus, Palmer, Norman (If I had the $$ for a new course, those 3 would not be that high on my list, or probably NOT on my list at all.) etc...make a difference when selecting an architect as well? I guess it all depends on the budget and the way the course is intended to be marketed in the future...

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 08:30:59 PM by Rich Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 08:14:06 PM »
Rich - great question...  How much was marketing a factor in the choice of an architect in the Golden Age?  Were clubs looking for members, and if so, did they tout the fact that they had a Ross or a Flynn course?

Mark Manuel

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 08:23:24 PM »
Does the number of projects available have an affect?  Probably more good architects today than projects.  That means the prime projects are taken by the prime architects and there is little chance for someone to make a name for themselves.
The golf ball is like a woman, you have to talk it on the off chance it might listen.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 09:36:52 PM »
The biggest difference is that big-name architects are selected to help market the real estate surrounding today's courses.  I don't think that was a factor at all back in the Golden Age.  Certainly, Ross and Tillinghast and others had good reputations for producing quality courses and that probably helped sell memberships, but not golf courses.

I remember one project we interviewed for (the last course at Grand Traverse Resort) where the client polled a group of meeting planners to tell them whom to hire ... since they wanted meeting planners to book large meetings at the resort, they asked them if they would be more likely to book the resort if it had courses by Nicklaus (existing) and Palmer, Fazio, etc.  They got what they deserved, The Wolverine by Gary Player.

Mark:  Most of the prime projects are always taken by established names, whether business is booming or slow ... that's the way everything is in America, isn't it?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 09:44:24 PM »
Ran,

I'd agree with Tom Doak.

Today, "Banks" and "Brand" hold more sway than in the "Golden Age"

I'm aware of a recent project where the Nicklaus firm will be given the commission, despite the fact that the developer/owner doesn't believe that his firm will produce the best golf course.

Richard Hetzel

Re: Has the process of selecting an architect changed? New
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 10:02:28 PM »
Tom,

Just out of curiosity, would you have had the exact same tract of land as where the Wolverine routing is located now? BTW, IMO, all the courses at GTR are just "OK" at best.

Patrick,

So, in essence, JN wins bids just because of his name/marketing value rather than what he can actually produce quality-wise? Just because he was an all time great doesn't mean he can create memorable courses. In fact, I have yet to play one that I can vividly remember!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 10:16:53 PM by Rich Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back