News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

LuLu
« on: May 13, 2008, 07:42:34 AM »
It sounds strange, but this was the one course I was most looking forward to playing on this Philly trip.  When people say a course is funky it always gets my interest.  To be fair, LuLu wasn't as funky as I thought it was going to be.  However, it is a solid course with a twist here and there.  Its certainly not in the mold of many Ross courses I have seen, perhaps this is why it has the reputation as funky.  In any case.  I really enjoyed the course and could see why Steve Sayers and his mate John were so high on the place.  Again, the greens rolled at a decent pace, somewhat quicker than Lederach.  In fact, the course was fairly firm which was pleasant to see.  The only bad thing I can say about the place is that somewhere along the line I picked up the shankx.  Jeepers, what a horrible feeling it is to be stood over the ball with a wedge knowing its going dead right.  I have never experienced anything like this before.  Let me tell ya, it ain't cool. 

The 1st is a short par 5 legger to the right with a bunker on the inside corner.  This is the 2nd.  I really liked this hole.  It also gives a hint as to how tight the property lines are on the course.  There isn't much room to spare at LuLu.

The 3rd is very attractive off the tee as well.  The greens on this course are tricky, but manageable.  This green has a sort of funnel leading to the day's hole location.  There is some sort of visual trick going on because the hole feels downhill, but I think its actually uphill for the approach, but I could be wrong.

A look at the approach.  Many of the greens have this sort of squaring off look to them.  You will see little knobs on the points where the greens are meant to extend to.

I have no idea what to make of this Quarry Hole.  Its very short and a bit uphill.  Gauging the distance is tricky.  Like many aspects to the course, experience is a plus.

#5 is a very good, somewhat longish par 4.  The green is a killer.  It seems as though the ball is repelled from the green. 

#6 is an excellent uphill par 3.  As one would expect, going above the hole is not advisable.

The 7th is the last hole across the street from the house.  Its also one of the best on the course.  You can see that trees are still a problem - though Steve and John said loads were taken out.

The approach.  The pin is in a tuff spot!

The 8th is a punchbowl green, but it doesn't gather in the traditional manner.  If it makes sense, its more of a green placed at the bottom of a bowl rather than what I think of as a true punchbowl green.

This pic gives a better idea of what I was trying to explain.  Thinking back on it, this is where the shanks began! I nearly hit the maint shed with a short wedge in.  Heavy sigh. 

The 9th is a good little hole which swings right.

I really liked the 11th.  Its a short par 4, but the fairway doesn't get the player into the best angle for green unless you can hit the right sliver between the bunkers.   Anything left is virtually dead.

The halfway house serves Paydays.  This is one of those little quirks I hope folks meant!  Its been a very long time since I even thought about Paydays, sadly, they were not in stock so I couldn't satisfy my craving nuts held together by an unidentifiable goo.  This is the 12th.  There is a hint of how the green flows by the collar off the green to the right, but there is a bunker just beyond to catch Paydayless folks such as myself.

Here is the approach to #13 - a blind drive long par 4.  The squarish tendency of the greens can easily be seen here.

14 is a very cool little par 4 which swings left.  Hit the drive straight and a bunker awaits.

16 is a bit of a odd hole.  There is a cross bunker stopping flat bellies from having a go at the green.

The 17th is a solid par 5.  Here is the scene after a decent drive.  By now, the shanks were in full bloom and I was only looking to get off the course and in front of a Yingling (the spelling is wrong, but this is how those PAers pronounce the name).  18 is a good finishing hole up the hill.  All in all, LuLu is a cool course with its best section across the road - a bit like Worplesdon.  I can honestly say there wasn't a hole that wasn't of some interest - a fairly rare happenstance in my experience.  Steve and John were great guys, though I am suspect of a guy with a tan like Steve's who claims to work hard.  In any case, make your way to LuLu, you won't be disappointed.

Ciao

Sean Shortshankx Arble

New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Paul Carey

Re: LuLu
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 08:07:15 AM »
LuLu is great fun and the tree removal, green expansion and renovation of the Ross bunkering has made it even more fun to play. 

The Quarry Hole is funky but fun.  It plays between 90 and 110 yards over a quarry with the green that sits a bit above  the teeing area making it tough to see the green surface.  If you hit a hard wedge (or sand wedge) the ball has a tendency to spin back off the green no matter the firmness of the greens).   I have found that you have to hit a soft, low spin shot to get it to the back or the center of the green.   Like all blind shots it is always full of anticipation walking out of the quarry to see where the ball has ended.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 08:18:43 AM »
Looks like just another Ross...fun to play, boring to study..course.

Scott Witter

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 08:22:32 AM »
I know this is a solid course and the pictures and description support that, thanks Sean, but you must be kidding me, where is the real course....it must be some where underneath ALL THOSE TREES!   :P I can only imagine how strong it would be playability wise and visually with a good tree management program.  If memory serves, I think Ron Forse did a master plan here and if so, it is likely he called for many trees to be removed,  Hopefully that part of the plan is soon to come.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 08:39:35 AM »
Sean - again, thanks for the pictures and the fun rounds on Saturday.  I just wish you could've played our place on Friday, but alas - the flood warnings won out  :'(

John_Cullum

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 09:27:24 AM »
I like the looks of LuLu, but those greens don't seem to fit the Ross prototype. Interesting
"We finally beat Medicare. "

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 09:58:19 AM »
  The only bad thing I can say about the place is that somewhere along the line I picked up the shankx.  Jeepers, what a horrible feeling it is to be stood over the ball with a wedge knowing its going dead right.  I have never experienced anything like this before.  Let me tell ya, it ain't cool. 

Oh Sean, I know exactly what you mean. I developed a case of the S's ( I dare not spell it) at the KP and it was one of the worst feelings in the world. It was ugly (ask Robert Ball and John Mayhugh)! 

Thanks for the pics you've been posting. They're great!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Ari Techner

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 08:58:30 PM »
Great pics Sean.  I played LuLu a couple months ago when I was in Philly and I really enjoyed it.  I had never heard of it but as someone who grew up on a Ross I really enjoyed seeing this quite different Ross layout.  The thing that struck me more than anything was the number off fairway bunkers seemed much higher than most Ross courses I have played.  I liked how they slashed into and across the fairway in spots and framed the holes on this tight property.  The short quarry par 3 was also quite memorable and very unique.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:14:42 PM by Ari Techner »

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 09:38:21 PM »
Why does this course so much more fun and interesting than Merion???

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 03:35:10 AM »
Scott

I could be wrong, but my impression was that the master plan is still chugging along.  I think a forest has been ripped out and there are more trees to be felled.  Perhaps its a matter of patience.  These things take time. 

JakaB

LuLu is a fun course to play and I would disagree concerning the study of it.  As a fan of Ross I was amazed at the different look of the place from the many other Ross courses I have seen.  The greens are really different with the squared off look - which I believe the club is already starting to lose due to greenkeeping practices.  I am not saying I prefer the square look, but it is very interesting.  Additionally, the bunkering is very different from what I am used to seeing of Ross.  The use of fairway bunkers was particularly unusual in that there seemed to be more than I am used to and their placement seemed more effective/efficient. 

Chip

I have a lot of time for LuLu and would recommend folks getting out to see it (I would like to see it again) - especially if you are a fan of Ross.  However, LuLu is not a patch on Merion.  There are only a handful of holes at LuLu which could be placed on Merion without lowering the quality of Merion.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Chris Simonson

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 10:30:07 AM »
Good variety of holes.  Greens can be VERY severe at times, especially the 5th and 6th.

Our group wanted to go back and play it again the next day.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 11:28:01 AM »
I've played LuLu in the spring when the greens were posted at 12+. Yes, 5&6 were almost impossible to putt. Afterwards, I had to buy that great book, "How to Line Up Your Fourth Putt"

www.4putt.com   ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike Hendren

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 11:56:54 AM »
Is the Doak cachet resonsible for Holston Hills being ranked highly by Golfweek while LuLu is unranked?    I know - blasphemy from a Tennessean, but I fell in love with LuLu.

Mike
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 01:04:32 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ray Cross

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 03:48:06 PM »
Sean,
Thanks for the pix and review...and, sorry about the S...'s. Been several years since I was there but this post has reawaken my interest.
In fact, I think it was a GAP Senior Amateur Championship in 2000 or 2001, may have been won by D. Brookerson. Didn't play very easy then!!

Ray

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back