News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Blain

Stonewall North or South
« on: August 05, 2008, 07:49:02 PM »
My wife and I have been invited down to Philly to play Merion (east)and Stonewall in a couple of weeks. I didn't realize that Stonewall has two courses. Does anyone out there have an opinion as to what course at Stonewall is more appealing? I'm not even sure we will have a choice but in case we do which is the preferred choice?  If this helps we are both low handicap golfers.

Thanks for the help -

John

Mike Sweeney

Re: Stonewall North or South
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 07:51:18 PM »
Beechtree, but I have not played the New course at Stonewall to be fair.

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 07:52:29 PM »
I prefer the south, but you can't go wrong either way. Norths greens are tremendously fun.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 08:07:40 PM »
I play across the street, and most of our guys prefer the south course.  But they're both really good.

Be sure to stop in at French Creek for a look around while you're at Stonewall.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 08:23:10 PM »
Just to clarify (and I was confused on this point until about 30 seconds ago, when I checked the club website, stonewalllinks.com), the two courses at Stonewall are the Old and the North. I've played the Old twice--it's excellent. I especially like the sequence from 3 through 6, and 18 is one of the more stylish finishing holes that I've seen.

The North I have only seen by buzz-around in a golf cart but am hoping to play it this fall--it is much more open off the tee, but as Sean Leary says, it has some really neat, creative greens.

I'd recommend the Old for first timers to Stonewall, especially if they're good players.

astavrides

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 09:16:49 PM »
Beechtree, but I have not played the New course at Stonewall to be fair.

Do other people agree that Beechtree is better than the Stonewall courses?  I haven't played the latters.

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 10:19:12 PM »
Just one opinion, but I've played Beechtree and Stonewall Old, and prefer Stonewall Old.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 06:31:45 AM »
Stonewall old is better.

Just bring some extra golf balls if you tend to be wild - the long stuff is pretty thick this year.

Bob Harris

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 11:16:47 AM »
I prefer the Old also.  Best case scenario, walk the Old course then take a cart on the North.

George Pazin

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »
My read of the people who've posted on the 2 Stonewall courses in the past is that the Old course is a bit sterner of a test, and the North course (affectionately referred to by some as the Udder course :)) is a bit more quirky and fun. Also, the North course is an entirely  Renaissance design (Tom Doak's firm), whereas the Old course is an inherited routing from Fazio built by the Renaissance team.

Hopefully a few more Philly guys will chime in.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Sean Leary

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 01:14:38 PM »
Is Stonewall Old Doak's toughest course in the US besides Sebonack?

I just love everything about that place.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 01:33:03 PM »
Both courses are quite good, and quite different.

If anything, I think the North is quite underrated, probably due to the fact that it seems to get very little play, even among membership.   

I also think both are better than Beechtree but all are worthy of play.

The Old course is more challlenging from a shotmaking standpoint, while the North is tougher on and around the greens, for a simplistic summary.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 05:25:16 PM »
I usually play Stonewall about once a year but I have never played the North. My host prefers the Old and rarely plays the North. The club is one of those "special places" we all mention in the world of golf.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back