News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Brzezowski

11 TOC
« on: July 08, 2013, 06:19:24 PM »
Played the old girl today, loved the work on 11. The other changes were ok, but 11 was spectacular . Onto Carnoustie in the am, if I ever get out of the dunevagen.

Thoughts?????
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Mark Pearce

Re: 11 TOC
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 06:37:25 PM »
My thought is that if the work on 11 was "spectacular" then it really was an abomination.  That work was intended to soften contours to make more of the green pinnacle.  The last thing it should ever have been was spectacular.  So, in what way was it spectacular and why did you love it so much?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »
Totally psyched to putt that green at the much faster speeds. Stimping 12, 13? How much faster than before?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 11:35:19 PM »
My thought is that if the work on 11 was "spectacular" then it really was an abomination.  That work was intended to soften contours to make more of the green pinnacle.  The last thing it should ever have been was spectacular.  So, in what way was it spectacular and why did you love it so much?
Mark because it opened up a larger section of the green. We played to the reconstructed area and it played nicely. A great look from the tee and it made for a changeling tee shot. I guess I just like the look of the area. Spectacular maybe the wrong word, but it was a beautiful day and when we stood on the tee box one of our guys said that, it just stuck in my mind.

Green was running at just over ten.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 11:37:24 PM »
I remember reading something about this but I'm not too clear on the work done.  Were just the contours in the back left softened or did they mess with that front area between the two bunkers?  That would be sad to see as far as I'm concerned - yeah, maybe they could get it stimping at 12 or 13 for the Open - to get the same playability they had before with bigger contours and slower speeds - but they'll surely still have it sitting at a sluggish 9 or so for the daily play us mortals see it at, and softened contours in front would take away some of the fear factor of a front pin that you risk putting it off the green if you're a bit too aggressive from behind, or under-read the break when putting from the side.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 03:24:16 AM »
I don't think Open Championship greens ever run at 12 or 13.  Most links courses would be unplayable at those speeds in any kind of wind.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 03:45:23 AM »
Mark agreed, the R&A aim for 10.5, any quicker and they can be caught out very easily in a breeze.
Cave Nil Vino

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 05:46:38 AM »
Totally psyched to putt that green at the much faster speeds. Stimping 12, 13? How much faster than before?

Why? Faster green speeds only lead to flatter greens which are easier not harder to read and hole out on. So why are you so PSYCHED to putt on faster, flatter greens? I would hate to have your take on the Himalayas or North Berwick West.

Jon

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 10:00:30 AM »
The modifications add not only another pin placement but a wonderful opportunity for advertising.  Why show a boring skyline green?  Now that it's clearly not covered by any landmark status, and isn't even old any more for that matter, think how great an ad for haggis or black pudding would look in the background on the telly as Keegan Bradley gets all choked up over one of his final anchored putts?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:29:14 AM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 10:13:27 AM »

Why? Faster green speeds only lead to flatter greens which are easier not harder to read and hole out on. So why are you so PSYCHED to putt on faster, flatter greens? I would hate to have your take on the Himalayas or North Berwick West.

Jon

Jon - you mustn't read much of what Mark B posts! Tongue was planted firmly in cheek there.

:-[

Jason Topp

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 10:26:55 AM »
While I hate to see the green changed, I would not at all be surprised if the hole is a better hole with the back left portion is pinnable.  The biggest advantage I see is that it makes the fearsome Hill bunker that brought Bobby Jones to grief much more in play.

For those that have played the hole since the change, do you like the way it plays setting aside concerns about altering such an iconic hole?

Ben Voelker

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 11:20:21 AM »
While I hate to see the green changed, I would not at all be surprised if the hole is a better hole with the back left portion is pinnable.  The biggest advantage I see is that it makes the fearsome Hill bunker that brought Bobby Jones to grief much more in play.

For those that have played the hole since the change, do you like the way it plays setting aside concerns about altering such an iconic hole?

I did not play it in its original form, but the green still has a hell of a back to front slope.  Going long would still be jail as far as I could tell.  With a pin in the new back left area, having the guts to get to the pin would be quite heroic.

I was there in April and the new area was still new enough to see the line of the new grass.  I took a number of photos and will post them when I get home this evening.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 11:54:05 AM »
The modifications add not only another pin placement but a wonderful opportunity for advertising.  Why show a boring skyline green?  Now that it's clearly not covered by any landmark status, and isn't even old any more for that matter, think how great an ad for haggis or black pudding would look in the background on the telly as Keegan Bradley gets all choked up over one of his final anchored putts?

Fired up about the new signage planned for Wrigley, are you?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 01:55:22 PM »

Green was running at just over ten.

Ed

How do you know ?

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back