News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Carlson

Oakland Hills - Rees Jones - 2008 PGA
« on: June 21, 2008, 05:49:28 PM »
Greetings All,

This is my first post.  This board is very insightful and I am glad to participate.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the renovations made by Rees Jones at Oakland Hills; and specifically how it will impact the PGA this year. 

The course has never been considered very strategic, but more of a course that requires a long, accurate, tee ball and good putting.  Do any of the changes improve the course from a strategic viewpoint?

Here are the holes where I think the most strategy comes into play:

6 - Player must decide whether to go for the green or lay up

12 - Lay up or go for green; although most will probably try and reach in two

15 - Another bunker was added in the middle of the fairway; does this bring back the Ross intent?  Now players will have to think about bombing it over the trees

16 - Brought the pond around the back of the green; player will simply need a more accurate teeshot

18 - 3 wood or driver on this difficult fairway to hit

That's all I can think of.  Perhaps someone who has played the course since the changes can add some insight. 

I believe the champion will be another long hitter (sans Tiger) like the last major there in '96 when it came down to Lehman, LoveIII, and Steve Jones.

Interested in your thoughts....

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Oakland Hills - Rees Jones - 2008 PGA
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 06:44:12 PM »
Brent,

I've been thinking about trying to visit Oakland Hills on several occasions this year, specifically to have a look at the changes. But, I haven't been able to fit a trip there into my schedule yet.

Nonetheless, the bunker in the middle of the 15th fairway isn't Ross'. Trent Jones added this feature... presumably during his initially renovation of the course in preparation for the 1951 US Open.

Expanding the pond at the 16th, around the back of the green, sounds like something I need to see... I can't quite comprehend how doing so could improve this hole; which, in my opinion, isn't one of the better holes at Oakland Hills-South, despite its notoriety.
jeffmingay.com

J_ Crisham

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 10:36:31 PM »
Brent ,
          I played here last week 6\11\08, and was quite impressed. The green complexes are simply diabolical. The ability to place the ball properly on the "wings" is imperative to scoring. I thought the par 3s were fair but tough. The par 5s were not as hard as I expected. My favorite holes were #1,3,4,5,9,12,14,16. I thought 18 was a bit of a letdown for a course of this caliber . I hit 3wood, 5iron, wedge and 2 putted for a pretty boring par.Great clubhouse and the head pro was a hell of a nice guy. Great experience that I would encourage anyone to play if they can gain access. Jack

Brent Carlson

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 01:42:49 AM »
Thank you for the correction on 15 Jeff. 

Let's hope the course plays as exciting as the Open did.  The PGA usually does a nice job with the course set up.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 10:51:19 AM »
Brent,
    I've played there twice in the last few years.  Once since the changes and overall I don't think it makes it a better course.  I'm sort of a doof in the fact that I can't remember all the changes that were made as the member I played with was explaining.
    From what I remember #7 was monkeyed with again but the member said it changes a little every 2 to 3 years because the membership can't make up their minds with the hole.
   #16 I think plays much more interesting as the water is so tight to the green that I can see a lot of players suck the ball back into the water.  Fellow GCA'r Dave Neveux watched Charlie Hoffman take a 12 on the hole during the British Open qualifier there last year by sucking 3 back into the water.
    I'm not a fan of that bunker in the middle of #15.  First off there really isn't a bail out on the hole if you want to avoid the bunker.  A little left of it and you're blocked out from the trees...right isn't bad but there's not much room.
   #11 is the best hole out there.  They don't need to monkey with that at all!

-Brian

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back