News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

The meaning of par
« on: June 13, 2008, 09:52:27 AM »
On another thread, one of our friends wrote, "It is true that match play will make par less meaningful. "

This got me thinking about the relative importance of par in stroke play versus match play.   Personally, I've never seen par as anything but an artificial number with no meaning.  But I think I'm in a tiny minority.

What's your thought on the meaning of "par"?  Does par mean more in stroke play than match play? 

Peter Pallotta

Re: The meaning of par
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 10:36:20 AM »
Dan -

you know, I'd like to think of myself as someone who pays little attention to and is rarely influenced by the artifcial concepts and constructs -- like "par" -- that the world and the minions of organized society seem compelled to want to place on us. But, goshdarnit, I DO pay attention to "par" when I'm playing golf, and it DOES influence the way I play, and I'm pleased and proud when I match par on a given hole and disheartened and almost depressed when I don't. Now, I won't for a second say this is a GOOD thing; in fact, I'm almost sure that better players and more experienced players and smarter players don't pay attention to par in the same way I do (me, who is not a very good golfer at all, and still a relatively inexperienced one.) Maybe one day I won't either. BUT, to answer your question, even someone like me pays a lot LESS attention to par when my friends and I have a little match play going than when, say, I'm playing by myself or just keeping score for myself.

Peter 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 11:06:41 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 11:04:01 AM »
I think match play actually makes the par of a hole more important - if the match is played off handicaps. For stroke allocations.

Max Behr wrote that par was invented the night before the 1870 Open Championship. This is the kind of thing people used to do before television. The great benefit being now people could both eat and play les bisques.

Je vous en prie,

D_Malley

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 11:18:17 AM »

The Springhaven Club

D_Malley

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 11:19:14 AM »
sorry i put that pic in the wrong thread

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 12:52:03 PM »
George - but it is a cool picture!  Steeplechase golf?

Cabell Ackerly

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 01:46:10 PM »
I think match play actually makes the par of a hole more important - if the match is played off handicaps. For stroke allocations.

Many believe otherwise, but the concept of par actually has no bearing on how a player's handicap is calculated or on how a particular hole's handicap rating is determined.

A prime example of this would be the 18th at Torrey Pines...If it is played as a par 4 instead of a par 5, should it's handicap rating change? No.

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 02:24:31 PM »

Max Behr wrote that par was invented the night before the 1870 Open Championship. This is the kind of thing people used to do before television. The great benefit being now people could both eat and play les bisques.

Je vous en prie,

I agree with Mark, at least as to how these things work in the UK.  There are loads of par 5s that are fairly easy relative to par, but that are fairly low indexes.  Why, because flat bellies can reach them in 2 and often times high cappers don't reach them in 3.  Thus the par designation can make a difference to stroke allowance in match play.  For medal play, par is irrelevant. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 02:27:50 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 02:26:36 PM »
It's an interesting thing Par. Both relevant and irrelevant at the same time. Sometimes a well achieved goal, other times, a let down. Something to ponder but not think about. It's an essential part of the lore, the psyche and the spirit.

It's best use is as an easy gauge, up or down, to your round that day.  Smiling or frown, It's all relative and up to you.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 02:40:29 PM »
Cabell - well said.  I wonder how many courses have their handicap strokes allocated correctly?

I for one think par is overrated.  We have 3 holes at my club that are in that netherworld between a par 4 and par 5.  And they're possibly the best holes on the course.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 03:16:51 PM »
I am speaking in the only context that matters for match play; ie, the Behr system.  To calculate hole-based handicaps some sort of standard is needed.

Par, assuming it represents the score of excellence, provides that standard, and the necessary cross-course portability. Not that the pooh-bahs at Augusta National, which use the Behr system, care a fig about portability.

Even leaving aside Behr, shouldn't the par of a hole represent the expected score of an excellent player? Wouldn't that be the common sensical approach?

Instead we have been handed this convoluted system of course ratings and stroke allocations to try to back into the right figure, when a hole by hole accounting of the true standard of excellence would take care of this.

Actually, that's not leaving aside Behr as that was his idea.

Of course, since no one in the US bothers with match play, certainly in most cases not more than one week a year, the handicapping system has been designed around stroke play.

Convolutedly yours,
Mark

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 03:38:47 PM »
Convoluted? Perhaps, my friend. But your rambling ways are well worth it when you produce a line like this:

"Not that the pooh-bahs at Augusta National, which use the Behr system, care a fig about portability."

Peter

Dave_Miller

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 04:01:46 PM »
On another thread, one of our friends wrote, "It is true that match play will make par less meaningful. "

This got me thinking about the relative importance of par in stroke play versus match play.   Personally, I've never seen par as anything but an artificial number with no meaning.  But I think I'm in a tiny minority.

What's your thought on the meaning of "par"?  Does par mean more in stroke play than match play? 

Dan:
To me your description of par as an artificial number is right on.  It really has no meaning.  it is a number set by members as a bench mark of sorts. 
In the old days holes were referred to as one shot, two shot and three shot holes.
It is totally irrelevent in match play where low score on a hole wins.  It is also pretty irrelevent in stroke play as low score wins.
On TV for those tournaments and championships it is a way to more easily keep track of leaders.  In watching match play events I have never heard one refer to a score against par in total.
Best
Dave

Will MacEwen

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 04:09:55 PM »
sorry i put that pic in the wrong thread

I had you pegged as some sort of deep thinker making an artistic statement beyond my comprehension. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back