News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Monday---Lahinch----Tuesday---Carne---Wed.---Sligo---Thur----Portsalon---Fri.--Narin/Portnoo (Staying near Dungloe for two days so I hope to get to Cruit Island as well) Sat.--Enniscrone. Sat. night--Galway City.

Would love to meet some Irish gca.comers.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 03:23:20 PM by michael_malone »
AKA Mayday

Mike Sweeney

Re: Look out Irish; I'm comin' back next week.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 05:34:13 AM »
Can you get a report on the new 9 Engh holes at Carne? Enjoy.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 05:39:59 AM »
Can you get a report on the new 9 Engh holes at Carne? Enjoy.

Mike

I walked the land of Engh's new holes at Carne two weeks ago, and I am sure it will be spectacular (much like Eddie Hackett's 1st 18), although there is still a very long way to go.  Nothing is anywhere near to being complete.

Michael

You have scheduled a great trip.  I think that Portsalon and Enniscrone will be the most pleasant surprises of the trip.  Let us know your thoguhts and....

Enjoy!

Rich

D_Malley

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 08:30:35 AM »
mike when at N&P, try to get to Packies Pub, which they say has the best location of any pub in Donegal.  say hello to my cousins who own the pub.  some are members of N&P as well.

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 10:15:30 AM »
 Dan,

I chose N/P because of your connection.
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 08:31:42 PM »
 I'm looking forward to meeting Patrick Glynn at Lahinch on Monday.
AKA Mayday

Sean Walsh

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 12:17:44 AM »
I hope you do make it to Cruit Island.  I made it up there on our drive around the coast of Ireland.  I walked the course which is very hilly and greens are rudimentary. The site however is phenomenal.  I didn't get to play as it was so windy I was doing well just to stand up.

I'll have a look and try and post the photos I took soon.

D_Malley

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 03:58:35 PM »
mike, my cousins pub is actually called Packies Bar and it is in a place called coor point, which looks out on the Gweebarra Bay.  N&P is also on the same bay but on the other side.  My cousin vincent is a member at N&P. If you go to Packies you must tell them that you know my family.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 05:12:15 AM »
Monday---Lahinch----Tuesday---Carne---Wed.---Sligo---Thur----Portsalon---Fri.--Narin/Portnoo (Staying near Dungloe for two days so I hope to get to Cruit Island as well) Sat.--Enniscrone. Sat. night--Galway City.

Would love to meet some Irish gca.comers.

I'd love to meet up, but I'm at the other side of the country and working.
John Marr(inan)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 05:18:04 AM »
Portsalon, a great friendly welcome and a wonderful location.  The epitome of a seaside course right in the middle of the village.

Hole two is a cracker, the fairway is on two levels and unfortunately I did not get a good pic of the thrilling approach over a burn.

I did get up and down for the Par! Happy memories.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 05:20:10 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

mike_malone

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 01:11:08 PM »
 Jack,

I'm sorry to hear that. You helped me greatly on my last trip.

Tony,

Thanks for the photos. Portsalon, along with Narin/Portnoo and Cruit Island will be new experiences for me. I see NW Donegal as a possible last bastion of Ireland as it was.
AKA Mayday

Les Cordes

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 02:10:19 PM »
michael..i played portsalon last year...the front is very nice..the back nine is "inland" and a let down...i would play either ballyliffen course instead.... much better...les (i am an overseas member of ballyliffen...)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 02:18:22 PM »
Les I liked the way out and the way back; it was a few links holes at the far end that suffered from pressure drop. Still a good course if not quite the sleeper I had hoped it might turn out to be.

I only played the Cashen course at Ballyliffen, but am I only one who thought the new course at Rosapena was the pick of the bunch? It seemed to me to play 'on top of the Dunes' in a way I’ve never experienced elsewhere and was the most special.

Quality golf, good prices and fewer other golfers to put up with, head for the North West.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Les Cordes

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 07:48:31 PM »
tony..i just did not want the evaluation of portsalon to slip by without a back nine comment...my irish friend...a member at northwest and ballyliffen.. and i had a great time there..we were let down a bit by the back nine..but overall a great, great day there. "local" commentary on rosapenna is mixed...apparently the new course is beautiful but very tough..sounded to me worth playing!
i will be over for three weeks in august and will play the southwest and work my way back up to the northwest and ballyliffen..les

mike_malone

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 10:16:20 AM »
 I'm back home and want to say a few things first and follow up later with some more specific comments.

The rough at Lahinch has gotten too penal. Balls were lost that were a few yards off of the fairway. The usual variability of the rough one sees on links courses was not available here. And the rest of the courses had brownded out fairways already so I couldn't figure why Lahinch was so different . What gives?

Both Portsalon and Narin/Portnoo were worth the trip. I can't think of a better #1 and #2 holes anywhere than at Portsalon. Also, there was a redanish par three on the back that was superb. I found the persistence of "bowled" fairways to be a bit much .  I wonder if Rees Jones was inspired by them. I admit to "variety" as my main bias.

This was the most stunning trip of my six to Ireland from the perspective of  beautiful views; while on  the courses and on the drives between them.

Narin/Portnoo was my favorite new course. #10 is a world class hole, even though two of us couldn't find our balls after hitting them directly over the white stake!!. The land in the landing area was cool and the broken ground short of the green reminded me of #16 at Merion. The green was huge with several places for interesting pin postions. I was reminded at times on other holes of Ballybunion, Royal County Down, Portstewart, Waterville, and even Sandwich ( I have only seen it on TV, but the comments are about the rolly polly fairways. #17 at N/P had this look.). I couldn't tell you which holes Pat Ruddy worked on and that is my vest compliment for him.

Cruit Island was a goofy course , but a fun one time experience to see the oft photographed par three; too many blind ANGLED  plays off the tee or up to the green.

I still think there is something wrong with Carne and the new holes at Enniscrone. I get the feeling that someone is trying to maniputate me.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 04:57:18 PM by michael_malone »
AKA Mayday

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 10:28:35 AM »
Mayday

Its June, the rough is up at nearly every seaside course.  Its one of the drawbacks of a links trip in June. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

mike_malone

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 11:49:08 AM »
 Sean,

By comparison to the other six courses we played it was severe.
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

Re: Look out Irish; I'm comin' back next week. Back home now!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 05:04:39 PM »
 Can one just stay in Donegal for a week and have a blast ?

I think I might try that next.
AKA Mayday

Bill Gayne

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 06:44:35 PM »
   I still think there is something wrong with Carne and the new holes at Enniscrone. I get the feeling that someone is trying to maniputate me.

Thanks for the trip report. What does the comment above mean?

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 03:18:47 AM »
Can one just stay in Donegal for a week and have a blast ?

I think I might try that next.

Michael

I tried to get you to stay put this trip!  Like most Yanks, you just had to get behind the wheel.  Muricans love their cars!

Concerning Lahinch, I think the fairways there are fairly narrow so the rough may have been more in play than at other courses.  In any case, if you don't like rough, June is NOT the time to visit GB&I.  Late September is a much better bet, but you do sacrifice loads of daylight.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

mike_malone

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 10:36:05 AM »
 Bill,

I mean that I feel like the course could be overdesigned. When the course is overdesigned it tries to steer you to a certain way to play the course rather than create multiple options. I have been told both times at Enniscrone to "play to what you see". This doesn't sound like ideal links golf to me.
  At Portsalon on #2 there was a diagonal carry over water on the left and a significant ridge on the right that kicked balls into the fairway. I , however, hit one of my occasional slices and ended up across the fairway of the parallel hole on the back. This left a blind layup with 3 choices; left into a narrow fairway with water left; short of a couple of 8/10 foot high dunes leaving a blind shot over a bern; or way right into deep rough. This is classic links golf to me. At Carne or Enniscrone, I would be lost more often then not.

The dunes holes at Carne and Enniscrone are beautiful but create limitations for options. I find that Ballybunion and, to a lesser extent , Lahinch use the dunes to create options.

It seems at Enniscrone and Carne that the dunes are intended more as a visual intimidation versus an aspect of playability.

This is just a feeling I get. I would need to play them more to be more certain, but I doubt I will return to them.
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 10:40:38 AM »
 Sean,

It is tough to beat June for golf in Ireland. The chance to play so much is crucial.

We seemed to be alone on this trip. I heard from our hosts that the travel picks up later in the month. In fact, as we drove from Galway through Clare on the way to Shannon to come home the buses seemed to have come out of nowhere.

Could the end of May and the first week of June be a sweet spot ?
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back