News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

I was trolling down the Wiley website and ran across this book by Thomas A Nikolai. Can it be recommended, despite the $70 price?

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471472727.html

You can click on the tabs for Table of Contents and Author information.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 08:04:06 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Craig Sweet

Re: The Superintendent's Guide to Controlling Putting Green Speed
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 10:23:15 PM »
He's a big believer that speed kills and you can get the greens plenty fast enough with regular rolling...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 10:26:38 PM »
Tom is one of the good guys, and I'd love to see him get something for his efforts...so sure, it's worth the $70.....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 10:32:42 PM »
Craig,
After I posted I did a GCA search on him and found some interesting threads where he was affectionately mentioned.

Bruce Leland

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 10:37:39 PM »
Very interesting research on the effects of a combination of mowing and rolling on opposing days.  Just read a synopsis of his research this morning in the Summer edition of Mountain West Turf.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 03:45:12 PM »
I got somewhat involved with Thom Nickolai a couple of summers ago through his greenspeed barometer website gcisinc.com. It apparently came out of Crystal Downs G.C. and is something of a membership polling 'blind taste test"----the super gives the membership various speeds without them knowing the stimpmeter reading and asks them to comment and vote on what they like best in play. So they get what they want without knowing the stimpmeter number.

I think it's a great idea but I found it ran into resistance in the damnedest places including at my own club. When I mentioned we should buy the gcisinc.com system it seemed various people on the green committee didn't really care that much what the membership said---they wanted to do it themselves.  :o

I was going to try to promote gcisinc.com in my region but that sort of stopped me. I felt like if I couldn't promote it at my own club how was I going to do it elsewhere?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back